Paint reaction What am I not doing?

Boba Mike

Hunter
Here's a question for the paint gurus.

Problem with the belly armour paint,

Got a severe paint reaction where the yellow coat would crazy crack within minutes of application.
Now this is only happening on the belly plate, so what is the problem and solution?

After a complete sand back to gelcoat I prep wash then undercoat/primer,
then prep wash then silver, no reaction so far, then prep wash then yellow, then crazy crack.

I have used this method on all my armour so far and this is the only piece that has this reaction, I am using the same paints. this is the third go and I have nearly stripped back the gelcoat with all the sanding

Any ideas?

mask where you want the silver showing through then primer it before putting the yellow down. silver paint is kind of "slippery" and other paints sometimes have a difficult time adhering to it.

that's all i can think of, other than if you do sand it down again after you prep wash it, clean it with some rubbing alcohol on a cotton ball. that sometimes helps with troublesome resin bits.

Thanks guys, it did occur to me that the brands may be an issue but I have painted all my armour this way with the same method and brands of paint, all at the same time too so it's not a batch issue with different batches of paint used. This is the only piece of armour having this reaction.

Forgive me if you already mentioned this, but what's your armor made of (I didn't see it anywhere in the thread)? It almost seems like there's something with your ab plate that's different than the other pieces since you're painting them all the same way at the same time. That would be my guess. If your armor is made from ABS by any chance, you could possibly strip it down again to the plastic and hit it with rustoleum plastic primer (with the white lid). I've used that stuff for a variety of different plastics (including resin) and it adheres extremely well from my experience (and takes paint great). It's nasty stuff when it's in the air though so you'll need to be sure to wear a respirator...that stuff will cling to anything, including the hair on your arms and in your nose....no joke lol, I can verify that from experience :)

i always use rustoleum automobile primer. grey lid, car on the can. i like it more than pretty much any other primer i've used. though there is a lot to be said about doing your first layer of primer with a filler primer, a little sanding, then the automobile primer.

It sounds like your technique is fine. But paint can be very picky about things like the temperature, the humidity, and other environmental issues. Make sure you're painting in the ideal conditions listed on the can. Sounds uptight, but I've found it makes a difference.

Enamel over acylic laquers will do that all so are you giving it enough time to dry between coats and maby the fact that you are washin between coats is creating a film of residue the will creat an un sound surface then once paint is applyed the drying starts and paint will seeperate

Jinto, other way around, acrylic reacts to enamel, I am using all acrylic paints, drying time is days, this is the only piece of armour I am have this problem with. Prepsol won't leave a residue, the whole reason for using it is to remove all residue film, was having the same problem without washing between coats as well.
I thought this could be environmental and I won't rule it out yet.

Yes tru acryilics to enamel , And visa versa ,i have been a painter for 14 years now , and do you mean the temprature or moister should be pretty warm in Adalaide now so that should not be the case, Isnt the whole point of prepsol to leave a reidue creating a film for bonding, and its suposed to be used on enamels is it not ?
p.S not trying to be argumentitive here

I was under the impression that Prepsol is a cleaning solvent used for initial surface preparation before painting to remove wax, grease,etc Have not heard the one about using it with enamels, I've always used it when preping cars for respray. As I've said this is isolated to this one piece of armour. I'm open to all suggestions so I don't get argumentitive :)

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back