Question Regarding Help with Building Mandalorian Costume

Dragos

New Hunter
Hey guys,

So my plan is to build my own custom Mandalorian Costume.

What I'm currently looking for though is a good solid helmet to buy that I can repaint with my own color scheme so if its already just a standard grey/white/black colored that would be perfect. Also would you guys suggest a metal helmet or one made of another material?

Thanks

-Dragos

First off welcome to the world of costuming. There are lots of resources out there to help you.

Alright, to start with I doubt you'll find a metal helmet, and you wouldn't want to wear one anyway due to the weight. There are lots of makers out there, Asok, Fettpride, Boba Maker, M-DSB(Sells over on the Mandalorian Mercs board) and others. Decide what your budget is going to be and then start looking. Understand coming in though, this isn't a cheap hobby, and if you cut corners...it'll look that way. Take your time, do it right.

I would suggest a resin or fiberglass helmet of some type. Specifically I would suggest Asok, he has one of the best deals on the market right now. The size of helmet is going to be the real question. What size body are you. The Asok is a ILM Jango cast. If you are a really big guy it might not be big enough for you. You also have all of the great Boba helmets from Fettpride and Bobamaker. For me the only drawback on these are that you immediatly have to undo (fill in the dent) some of their great work.

And when I say big enough I am talking about the way it will look ON not the interior size.

If you need a bigger helmet you can look at a M-DSB Mercenary which is offered in multiple sizes. There are also a maker (WCA) of the "Deathwatch" style helmet which can work well for a custom. Don't try to go too cheap on the helmet either. Remember it is the "face" of your custom.

I can find a link for any of those makers listed if you need one.

Im actually a pretty big guy at 6'3" with an average to athletic build, I've been doing some research and i've been looking over the work Saz has been doing. What do you guys think of his helmets? I know they are not exact movie authentic but thats not what I'm going for, kinda wanting my own Mandalorian Suit. I am definitely not expecting my costume to be cheap and I have no plans to cut corners, Mainly just wanting to make smart purchases for items that will fit my needs perfectly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Saz's buckets are topnotch Dragos, he has a boba and jango type bucket but he has a lot of custom designs too... they're pretty popular with some of the most respected mando'ade of the mandalorian mercs (i.e. A'den Skirata himself has a Saz Krayt Dragon bucket). Everything I've seen/heard of/from Saz has been good and his stuff is really quite impressive.

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f31/cold-cast-jango-helmets-37144/

Here is the link to Asok. With your size the Asok may be a bit small. It will depend on your shoulder width. The M-DSB XL might be a good alternative.

http://mercs.firespray.net/forum/index.php?topic=17499.0

I have had an M-DSB and an Asok and both are quality products. I also have a Sgt Fang which would be a good alternative for you if you can find one. They are bigger than the Asok. I don't have any personal experience with Saz's buckets but I have heard good things about them, and I would trust them.

Thanks guys I appreciate it. Yeah right now I'm really thinking I may just go with a Saz Helmet, Asok i will avoid cause it will probably be a bit small as I have a large torso. Ill definitely take a look at the M-DSB XL though.

My understanding is that both are really good helmets... I personally am having one custom made (and I do mean custom) by A'den Kyramuud, but if I wasn't I would probably go with either a Saz or M-DSB bucket. For their price, the quality is amazing. M-DSB buckets look really good, especially once finished as do the Saz buckets... really between the two it's a toss up.

I've got two of the M-DSB Helmet, one in standard size, one in XL. I love 'em both. The quality of the helmets is really amazing.

Dragos let me know which Helmet you get. I am 6'5 and want a larger than normal helmet myself.M-DSB XL are looking pretty good to me. starting my Mando and atleast hope to get the Helmet right for now.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back