Breakdown of the Rubies Deluxe Costume

I would stay away, I saw one of these up close and it is not worth the time and effort. You are way better off buy from the guys on the board!!!!

gee, the paintjob on that helmet looks as if a two year old has been given a free reign with thier finger paints. All in all, the costume is all there, and with a new paintjob on some areas it would likely be fine - but for the pricetag associated, you shouldnt have to touch it - it should be first class. velcro looks a little flimsy on alot of areas too..

It's where I started and believe me you will learn the rule "If you buy cheap, you buy twice".

My helmet wasn't even painted as well as the one in the pic. But I have seen some guys make a good go at repainting. Not just the paint job though. The visor is almost transparent, so you can see your face through it. Needs replacing.

Ammo Belt is a rubber and so is the honour sash. Have replaced the belt and sash will have to do for now.

Gauntlets are bad, really bad. Have replaced these with some really nice resin ones.

Jump suit. Not sure what it is made of but have already ordered a new one from Bobamaker. Fabric pulled with one wear.

Armour - this is where it is really shocking. The collar armour doesn't work. It is badly moulded and so does not fit correctly - again replacing. Also the chest plates are flat, as is the one that goes on your stomach. Still working on the wash board stomach, but for 99% of the world, this look bad and clearly doesn't fit.

Knee armour - doesn't look too bad - hideous paint job but the real problem is it is so thin, mine is already cracking in two places and I haven't been out the door in it.

Shoulder armour - not bad but again, crazy paint job.

Cod and Butt armour - Actually fits really well. Salvageable with a decent paint job although I will replace when I have the cash.

Tools - not bad, but not screen accurate - the knife is pretty good.

Cape - Way too small. Replaced.

Gloves - ***. I am not sure who these were modelled on but no good if you have thumbs!

Rocket pack - I personally think is salvageable, for the untrained eye. Yes, it really needs repainting and I will replace in time as it is riveted to the back armour, so you can't take it off.

Ankle spats - again - really bad material, but with a bit of weathering look okay. Mine wear sewn wrong. Quality again missing.

Flak jacket - Does the job but I will have to tailor to fit. Problem with these is that the back armour clips to it, so pulls it back a bit tight.

Not sure if there is anything I missed but be warned, you will only find disappointment, and a waste of time and money putting right.

Oh, just looked through the pics again - Missile has fallen off the gauntlet, as did with mine.

Missed out the wookie braids - they are way too short (about half the length they should be, no way they are staying on your shoulder stuck with a tiny bit of velcro).

Oh I would never get it. My first Jack Sparrow a year ago was a "costume base" - it was $200 for the whole costume and I thought it was a steal.

mojo_firstjack.jpg

Then I discovered a costume forum and a year later that $200 changed to $1,500 and everything was replaced except two items:

jack4.0_(23).JPG

You can read the entire build here:
Keep To The Code :: View topic - My Jack Sparrow 4.0 - The epic Journey

My motto is everything is done with the following formula: good, fast, cheap. When you want something, you can pick 2 things.

Good and cheap isn't fast
Good and fast isn't cheap and....
Fast and cheap isn't good

I love the transformation. Great details. Just add rum! :) I will be posting up some photos soon of where my rather poor looking fett started and hopefully, where it should end up looking a lot more like the Fett we know and love.
Currently waiting in for a shipment from Bobamaker for some armour and a flightsuit. Should be working. Just sitting here waiting watching the DHL tracking number only 5 miles down the road now...
*bites nails impatiently*

I also saw this Fett monstrosity in person. For the $$$$$$, I think a person could do much better using the resources on this site.

If I found this in a dumpster I'd leave it there. The real blasphemy is that Rubies was aloud to make another piece of trash (Chewbacca, Vader, Troopers).

Don Post use to do the same thing in their magazine ads. You'd see a decent looking mask in the ad, but when you'd see it in person it looked like a shopping bag with eye holes... actually a shopping bag looked better.

OK...gotta admit....I got suckered into the Rubies costume. It's what I like to call a NFF-FFN (Nice From Far - Far From Nice). If you back up to a distance of 30 feet at night and take a pic with a low quality camera....it looks OK (not good...just OK). So I am slowly but surely building a new one from the resources on this site. Darmac's breakdown of all the parts was fairly accurate. Oh - as long as we are on the subject of ****** products...CABoots now makes their boots out of suede. I started a thread about this somewhere on here. I have no idea how to link to another post or thread, so just look for it if you want to see a picture of the horrid work!

I laugh at you rubies owners. I got SFP, which makes Rubies look like Bobamaker. I went to the local mall in it, and I believe I may have caused the world's first case of Contagious Blindness. I don't really laugh at you, cause I know how much it sucks to buy something and then find out you've been had, but really until you've owned a set of SFP Fett, you really cannot really experience the horribleness that it represents.

Hey Mandosoldier, Just saw your SFP armour on an old thread. I feel for you brother. That is some poor quality tat. I guess we live and learn. Just putting some finishing touches to some new armour from a proper Fett craftsman - pics to follow.

I just wanna add (and yes, I posted on most every other rubies thread) that I have seen this close up as well. In fact, the jetpack is laying in my spare bedroom right now. It's a buddy of mine's who got the complete set for like 200. I have the ManofWar jetpack and it's night and day. Even before I got my MOW, I was given the chance at recieving the Rubies jetpack for free to use on my ESB Fett WIP and declined. I have scratch built alot of stuff and fixed alot of stuff too, and I don't see how you can make this workable for 501st standards. I wouldn't even wear it for Halloween.

On other stuff, the cod is usable, but like the rest of the armor, you can literally tear it like a piece of paper. The shin tools look ok, but inaccurate to the point that the one with the ali rods (right?) wont fit in Ladysewforus pockets. The vest looks ok at a distance, but is that Halloween costuming foam, so good for maybe 2 troops, as my friend who has used it for his Merc has discovered.

The thing I think is criminal is Rubies only cared about their steep profit margin with this. Having mass production capabilities, they could have outsourced design to a few people on here and made it screen accurate for roughly the same cost. They might have been able to do some stuff we can't like a lighter, thinner (and therefore cheaper to make ) jetpack. If Museum Replicas does it right (cause you know this is coming...), then they can make a screen accurate Fett for $2000.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back