A Different Kind of Custom Mandalorian Board...

That's why we're here. To make custom Mandalorians better as a whole, not just our membership. Our members are part of other organizations and hopefully will pass on what they learn with us, and have a spirit of wanting to share the love of the hobby and the joy of building something great. We all succeed by helping those who come after.

Just a few days left to sign up before this enrollment period ends. To those who have already signed up, we're about to get started. For those thinking about it, jump in. We hope that this first "class" will set the bar for all those that follow.

Oh, and also if you are a vendor who would be interested in selling on our site please PM Jay or myself so we can get you setup.

Catal,

I find the concept, of your orgization, intresting. However I was wondering if I could sign up, to join the forum, even thought I don't have a set of armor yet?

You don't need a kit to join. We'll help you from start to finish. Sign up, introduce yourself, tell us what you want to build...we'll provide resources and support to get you there.

I like your ideas. I think the standards are reasonable. The only thing that stuck out was this "A gap of no more than 1/2 inch should be present between collar and backplate."

That is not even true of Jango, so I would recommend loosening that requirement to more like 1"

I will bring that up for discussion. Thanks for looking over the standards and proofing them.....(and I mean that, it is hard to infer tone on a forum) As some one that is doing a Jango, I would hope a screen accurate Jango qualifies for the highest of standards.

I'd have to actually see what an 1" gap would look like versus a 1/2" gap. We are basing the 1/2" requirement on looking at production and promo shots. If an 1" does in fact look correct, we would of course ammend the requirement.

I've been studying the Jango costume for 7 years and have my own 501st approved Jango. I even gave the 501st costuming presentation on Jango at CV this year. This is not to brag or toot my own horn, I'm just saying I am very well educated on the costume. Trust me, the gap is at least 1".

For reference, the bottom of the screen cast Jango helmet earcap is 1 3/4" wide.
Also, that shoulder seam - from topstitch to topstitch, that is 1/2" exactly.

jangofromvanityfair.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
A very good pic. I'm sold on the gap being 1". Stuff like this is exactly what we want. There's visual reference.

Ok, our very first enrollment period is coming to a close as of midnight tonight CST. To all those who joined us, thank you. You are the guys who will set the bar for the future. To those who want to join, keep an eye out. Next enrollment will be in Feburary. To everyone who's watching to see what we can do...hold on to your hats. I think these guys are really going to knock our socks off!

OK maybe I'm misunderstanding, but what I'm getting out of this, is any suit we make will in appearance look like Mandos from Open Season through ROTJ. My only issue with this is, everyone's going to look like Boba or Jango except with maybe a differing color pattern. I mean if you're only allowing what appeared in the movies, there's very limited options on what exactly one can do. Again I mean no offense and don't want to kick an anthill, but I'm not understanding how you can be custom and screen accurate, when only Boba and Jango were ever seen on screen. And maybe I'm a bit of a KT fan, but I loved the way she wrote the mandos, and from her description, no two mandos had the exact same armor layout. I sold off my custom mando simply because I got tired of being called Boba Fett, so I figured if they're gonna call me that anyway then I may as well wear my Boba. To me doing something "custom" means you're doing something that's clearly part of the whole mandalorian, but you're doing it different in more ways than a different paint job. You can hardly buy a stock '69 Charger, put a coat of orange paint on it and call it a custom car. If I'm understanding wrong, please let me know, just trying to get my thoughts across. If this sounds offensive, I don't intend it that way, sometimes things sound one way to me and another way to the reader.

Well......using your 69 Charger analogy. If you were going to have a club that was all about 69 Chargers, you wouldn't want the guy in the 77 Nova coming in and saying well, you see the 77 Nova has wheels and windows and an engine so you have to accept me too because I really love 69 Chargers but I can only afford a 77 Nova. Now don't judge me or tell me I am not a 69 Charger fan, I am just a "different" fan.

On the KT front if you read what she describes she does not go off the deep end, yes they don't have the same layout, but they all had some common items and features. And that is way more than just a T visor. If you compare Skirata and Walon Vau there are some differences between them but the biggest difference is going to be the color of the plates. When I see Skirata I don't just think Jango repaint. I see him as a unique character. In the IC novel when they go into town (to spread the germs, and Gilamar kills Dredd Priest) they swap out plates and colors to look different, they don't change the basics of thier kit.

When we say screen accurate what we are talking about is screen QUALITY. I have seen some customs that look more like other movies or genre than they do Star Wars.

And no offense taken, feel free to give a rebuttal if my explanation doesn't answer your questions.

OK The quality bit now makes sense to me. My concern with the layout was, making everyone have the same gaunts (not even Boba and Jango had the same style),same girth belt (again same case), same etc... or enforcing members to have all pieces of gear seen in movies, as again (and this is with books mind you) not all mandos wore jetpacks all the time, took the same if any trophies (ie: Boba's wookiee braids) I guess what I'm looking for is the same basic mando feel, but some difference in exact layout, while looking like it belongs IN the movie. Again using the charger analogy, you wouldn't want to join a club where they said everyone has to have same model of tires, same engine brand, etc...

The requirments don't call for the exact same guants. In fact if you look at available pictures from movies and comics there are all kinds of gaunts shown. Same with girths. Jaster has a girth belt that looks like a weight lifters belt with big buckle in the front, completely different from Boba and Jango.

Your last sentence is exactly what we are looking for. The only problem with not nailing down reference points it it gets back to the guy in the 77 Nova who says that the 77 Nova "feels" like it belongs. In order to insure that it looks like it belongs in the movie you have to put in certain restrictions. I actually think you are about in the same school of thought as the HHS is. It just seems restrictive when you first read it because it is a change from what you may have seen. We have all seen the kits where people "feel" that the LOTR, HALO, Colonial Marine, US Army Mando is what "feels" right to them. While all of those other movies/games/groups may be great, they are not Star Wars and they are not Mando.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back