Am I DAFT to try it?

welshwarrior123

Active Hunter
Hey hey guys, long time no post :D Been so busy lately with collage and trying to get into UNI, fingers crossed tho lol, so havant been on here much. But I have been up to something..........

Some of you may not know this, but halloween is pretty close :) Im still slowly working away at my fett, the JP is so close to being finished but thats for a different thread. Well my fetts not finished and even if it was I wouldnt dare wear it to a party. So I have a party on Thursday, and low and behold my mates decide on monday that we should dress up for it, and I really dont fancey renting or buying a cosie from a shop (funnily enough the costume shop by me put a storm trooper costume up in the window, walked up to it, saw it was a rubies, turned away :lol: )

So searching around for something to do, I found Daft punk ( see where the title of the thread comes in, clever aint it lol) The Guy helmet was out of the question, I have access to an awesome vac form machine which I could have used, but im in half term, so Thomas it was. I had at most, 4 days to build this thing, so here it is.....
So I found a pepakura file that i modified for my needs, (dont laugh to hard at it, pep is hard lol) I resined and fiberglassed this.

DSCF0361.jpg

I managed to get hold of a helmet, it was the wrong shape but i wasnt goin for super accuracey, an a little dremel work fixed the back of the helmet. I then went about of fiberglassing the pep to the helmet and cutting out the visor.

DSCF0365.jpg

DSCF0367.jpg

DSCF0370.jpg

Next up is the stuff that I feel more comfortable using, filler :D Slapping the stuff all over the lid, and painfully sanding it all down to a smooth surface.

DSCF0415.jpg

DSCF0404.jpg

DSCF0410.jpg

The main problem I was having was trying to get it all even and symetrical, but im pleased with what I did in the time I had.

DSCF0422.jpg

DSCF0412.jpg

I then threw some primer on it to help fix any low spots and to some minor imperfection fixes.

DSCF0423.jpg

I then measured out the mouth and noise openings, pretty much eyeing where I thought they should be. And I forgot to take a picture of them cut out :oops:

DSCF0436.jpg

So now comes tonight, I dont even have a set of ears for it, cue massive scrambling around for something to use. What I found isnt even remotely accurate, but I felt it would do the job for the party while still looking good and resembling Thomas.
Ta Daaaaaaaaaaa

DSCF0431.jpg

Again not accurate I no, but time is not on my side, an I think the indents on the lids look kinda funky :D So, with a heap of body filler, I attatched them to the helmet.

DSCF0439.jpg

DSCF0441.jpg

So after a little sand, followed by some tedious wet sanding and a coat of primer, here is where im at,

DSCF0446.jpg

DSCF0445.jpg

DSCF0443.jpg

Ive still got a few little spots to fill aswell as sharpen some details in the visor opening. So, im hoping that the perspex and window tint arrive by tommorow so I can mount the visor, I have also ordered an led belt buckle to use as the display behing the glass, but i dont think i will get it in time. SO for 3 days work, what do you think?
I know that its not accurate and there are some symetry issues, but im pretty happy with it and think it sorta looks like thomas. Hopefully the stuff arrives tommorow, and I can finish it up and put some paint on it and post some pics, The party starts at 7 so im cutting it real close with this lol.
Any comments and criqs welcome :D
Cheers guys, nice to be back aswell,
Lewis

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back