Freddy Krueger Sculpt/Mask

Little Fett

Hunter
Hey guys.

I know this is kinda inappropriate for a SW forum, but I knew some of you guys would appreciate this.

This is my Freddy Krueger sculpt so far. I'm by NO means an artist, so I was pretty happy with the way it turned out. This is based on the original Freddy played by Robert Englund, not the remake Freddy (don't get me started:angry:lol:). I know it's not perfect; the left eyebrow is alittle low, and the nose is alittle crooked (I'll fix this tommorrow).

I plan on making a cast of this tommorrow, and the mask-casting latex is in the mail.

Opinions appreciated.

IMG_0044.JPG

IMG_0041.JPG

IMG_0040.JPG

IMG_0042.JPG

Ok, I widened and lowered the nose, fixed the eyebrow, and expanded the ears.

I'm letting the whole sculpt dry out alittle before sealing.

Picture 024.jpgPicture 022.jpgPicture 023.jpgPicture 025.jpgBusted the mold open today. And I mean BUSTED. I had to damage the mold and destroy the sculpt to open it. I think I'll be able to repair it, but I'm not sure how the seal will be around the seam will be.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey man if that was a styrofoam head you sculpted it on the neck is going to be way to small to get your head through because even though latex is flexible is isnt nearly strecthy enough to go over your head so you will more than likely need to cut a slit up the back to get it over your head. did you make a dividing wall around the front and back halves then cast each seperately? You should have used vasoline to keep the two havles from bonding.

Hey man if that was a styrofoam head you sculpted it on the neck is going to be way to small to get your head through because even though latex is flexible is isnt nearly strecthy enough to go over your head so you will more than likely need to cut a slit up the back to get it over your head. did you make a dividing wall around the front and back halves then cast each seperately? You should have used vasoline to keep the two havles from bonding.

Thanks for commenting:cheers! Yeah, I do plan on making a slit up the back of the neck, as (even if the neck was wide enough) I have a big head, and I don't want to risk tearing the mask.
I did make a dividing wall, but unfortunately I didn't make it tall enough, and even though I did use vaseline, some of the plaster did slosh over onto the other half of the mold.
So, in short, I had the right technique, but not the right experience to use it correctly:facepalm.

*sigh* lesson learned:lol:.

Just finished the 2nd coat of latex, let it drain, and am now letting it cure.

Fingers crossed, I should have the first pull out tomorrow:love!IMG_0101.JPGIMG_0100.JPG

Also, if you (like me:confused) are still getting used to the new format, you can click on the pics to see them full-sized.

Feeling good! First pull came out pretty darn good:love! has some thin spots and the flashing is really thick, and some spots will need to be patched, but I'm thrilled at the amount of detail!

Picture 075.jpg

Picture 072.jpg

Picture 074.jpg

Picture 073.jpg

Picture 076.jpg

Picture 071.jpg

Hey, does anybody know what to use to clean a latex mask before painting? I've heard citric acid or rubbing alcohol. I'm leaning towards the latter, because I have no idea where to get citric acid:facepalm.

Never herd the citric acid thing ive used it in other things you get it from supermarkets and some chemists but you may want to look in to getting some tinters for lattex to add some pigment into the mix then when it drys you have colour thru it withh that sculpt id say mixa touch of red in the mai abit more withsome burnt umber dont mix it to much so it sort of marbles the mix them pour coz painting on to lattex wont hold that well unless of corse you use spasific paints for that porpos either way it looks great you say your not anartist well ithink you have deffinently got skills

Me wearing my new raw pull! Yeah, I know that's some sexy hair sticking up in the back but I haven't figured out a closure for the back of the mask:lol:.

Picture 077.jpg

Picture 078.jpg

Picture 079.jpg

Very cool :D. As someone who wants to have a crack at mask making I've found this very informative so far. Is it a fairly easy process? You've made it look simple enough but I have no idea about the dividing wall and how to go from the clay sculpt into making the final product

that tutorial is amazing, thanks :D. i've just spent ages reading the whole thing and i'm feeling confident to have a go now :). couple of questions: was that your first sculpt or have you done one before because it looks great. second, how much latex did you need for that one mask- i dont want to order too much or not enough

that tutorial is amazing, thanks :D. i've just spent ages reading the whole thing and i'm feeling confident to have a go now :). couple of questions: was that your first sculpt or have you done one before because it looks great. second, how much latex did you need for that one mask- i dont want to order too much or not enough

Hah! Thank you. In fact this was my first mask sculpt.
I you'll need at least enough latex to fill the mold all the way (as with the fill-and-empty layering process). I ordered 1 gallon, and ended up having to sink a 2 liter bottle in the center of the mold, so as to displace enough latex to fill the whole thing. I would reccomend getting 2 gallons, which should be plenty wnough to make several masks.

Thanks again and best of luck!

Do you reckon the fill and empty method is and easier approach to the slush method? Sorry for all the questions but I figure its better to think ahead and save me from screwing up and wasting my money haha. By the way, nice sculpt for a first attempt :D

Do you reckon the fill and empty method is and easier approach to the slush method? Sorry for all the questions but I figure its better to think ahead and save me from screwing up and wasting my money haha. By the way, nice sculpt for a first attempt :D

Yes, absolutely. The main reason for this is that slush casting is primarily meant for quick-setting 2-part rubbers like silicone, where you can slosh the liquid around as it cures, to ensure an even coat. With latex, which can take up to 24 hours for one layer to cure (with good ventelation), this is simply not a very efficient option. The advantages of the fill-empty method stem from the fact that most plasters (what you use to make the mold) absorb small amounts of water (over time), and so they suck the water out of the latex they are directly in contact with, forming (after about 45 minutes when you dump out the excess latex) an even shell of semi-cured latex on the inside of the mold which can then be allowed to dry fully (with ofted turning and draining of the mold).

In short, unless you plan on sloshing the latex around for 20-14 hours, the fill-empty meathod is definately what is recommended for latex:lol:.
Plus, even though you might spend $100 on 2 gallons of latex, you'll probably be able to make roughly 4-7 full-head masks with that amount of material (if you displace the latex as I did), as apposed to 1-3 masks with $100 of silicone (plus $20-$30 for a trial kit of specialized silicone pigments to paint you mask with [silicone won't take just any-old paint]).

Sorry for the monologue:lol: I hope this helps.

Thanks,
Chris

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back