Noob question: How to paint my armor?

crazas

New Hunter
I just got my armor, black ABS.
Now I'm looking for the best way to paint it.
For example the front armor, should I paint it green and after that ad the details?
Is there an specific order in the colors?
Every help will be appreciated.

Do searches using the keywords "topical" and "layered". Those are the two main methods. I prefer layered myself- but you can make your own decision after reading a bit.

I recommend spray painting the entire armour silver then a layer of Matt finish hard laquer, then use masking fluid to mark scratches then spray armour orange(ish) colour then add more masking fluid, then spray green, then weather with a misted spray of black or grey. Finally remove masking fluid.

Here is basically how i do it.
Primer
silver
masking fluid
green
peel the mask
use a small brush to add the yellow around the scratches.

If you look at the reference pictures in the gallery, you can see that is the way it was done on the real suit.
yellowf.jpg

Thanx everyone, now the problem is, I live in Costa Rica (not Puerto Rico! LOL) and I'm not sure I can buy this "masking liquid" here in my Country, can anyone tell me hte comercial name of the product so I can start looking for it?
Thanx again

miskit liquid frisket is what i use . art supply store . tooth paste will work too. little harder to clean up.
:cheers

I have been trying to buy it but this company doesn't take PP payments from outside America. I'll give the toothpaste a try
Thanx again everyone.

UPDATE: I found it @ Amazon!!!!
Just waiting for it to arrive

THANX

Last edited by a moderator:
i'm new to this aswell, but i had just a small question, i'm a very confident painter, and i figured i'd just coat the green then paint the orange, then the silver afterward, though everyone here seems to do it in reverse steps. i was just wondering why you work like that? i'm just curious, i haven't painted anything yet, and i really want the best results...any help is much appreciated :)

Because the effect is supposed to be a layering look, like the silver is base metal that the green & yellow undercoat have chipped off. If you do it topically like that the paint may build up instead of layer down, diminishing the effect. It's a little thing but we're picky here :p

that makes sense, thanks apolifka!, actually, what if you used a sliver sharpie?, like, paint everything green, then sharpie, then the orange? has anyone tried using one? and if so what were your results?

I made my first paint last weekend, first silver, then I applied some tooth paste and did the yellow, after that the great sunny Sunday turned into a ****** cloudy Sunday and I didn't want to spoil everything so I stop. (You have no idea how a great paint job can be transformed into trash with the level of moisture in the air here at tropical Countries!! LOL)
Will post pics later.

Thanx again!!

I know some guys that bring a silver sharpie to conventions to cover up little chips if their paintjob gets damaged some at the event, but I wouldn't use it on my project as a first choice if i had other options.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back