Painting the Grant McCune Helmet (GMH)

Yeh in my SUPER RUN ON SENTENCE OF DOOM! LOL I think the red on the mandibles is for sure redder looking at them next to eachother but other than that Id say theyre identical in color...now the red maybe the same but not washed with dark wash?

Yeh in my SUPER RUN ON SENTENCE OF DOOM! LOL I think the red on the mandibles is for sure redder looking at them next to eachother but other than that Id say theyre identical in color...now the red maybe the same but not washed with dark wash?
Yup, I would agree.. and for sure, washes or misting certainly change the over all color..

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO, and seeing the pics you've posted she (Sandy) must have used the same colours for all the helmets. Why? THREE argues.

#1: She painted the three helmets with the same paint techniques, so surely the colours.
#2: As seen in the pic, she painted all the helmets at the same time so it makes no sense to be changing the paint in the airbrush to paint these if they were painted at the same time.
#3: I'm seeing in one of the pics FIVE bottles of paint: red, two greens, silver, and also the dark grey plus, IMO, the paint in the airbrush which is the one for the top of the cheeks. So SIX colours for those, just as they are.

The only colour I don't think that match the RotJ is the red for the mandibles, and it looks more like a red with a touch of brown, while the RotJ helmet, and IMO the Sandy helmet, has a red with a really soft touch of pink, more like a wine colour. Surely he used another red for the PP#2, as well as he used a light pink under the mandibles for it.

So, IMHO, any list would work, just the weathering will make the diference.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe the reason the PP2 mandible red appears different to the ROTJ and the V2 is the pink layer underneath. Depends on how heavy the red coat has been applied over the pink...

Yes, but red over pink should be red-pink, while the red over grey or silver should be red. What happens? The red over the pink looks more brown on PP#2 while the red over silver or grey looks more pinky on the RotJ. I think it's not because of what is under the red.

One thing to prove that the top red is not affected over other colours in these buckets is that the RotJ has a silver coat with a few grey spots and the colour looks the same for all the mandible, not diferent for the spots.

Yes, but red over pink should be red-pink, while the red over grey or silver should be red. What happens? The red over the pink looks more brown on PP#2 while the red over silver or grey looks more pinky on the RotJ. I think it's not because of what is under the red.

One thing to prove that the top red is not affected over other colours in these buckets is that the RotJ has a silver coat with a few grey spots and the colour looks the same for all the mandible, not diferent for the spots.

I think the opposite is true. Red over a light colour ie silver or white will increase the colours lighter tones. Red over a similar but lighter shade, especially when seen next to it, will make it look redder...

Surely you're correct because you have a lot more experience with colours than me, but I still think the PP#2 red colour is diferent than the others. It just looks diferent to me.

I wouldn't take what I've said as gospel KaanE, it just strikes me as likely how these colours would behave...:)
The airbrush is out so I will have a couple of test strips done shortly...(y)

I knowthat the red will behave differently over different colors and with washes as I have painted two ROTJ helmets in the last few months here since I havent painted over pink just silver I can say that using it over black and silver you get a completely different look over the silver its more red and it may have not been washed with a dark wash. I know not alot of people paint ROTJ all the time so its easy to think in terms of ESB and the mandables on it...the red on ROTJ is more of a red simply put...look at these two pics...and look at the lighting in the pic of sandy...that flash has the light playing tricks on you guys...the reds are the same IMHO on all three! I like using the first pic cause i have a copy of that photo I got at CV and the colors arent screwed up by a flash its daylight...in the pic you can see how the colors should apear. I think if going with airbrush spideys color choices on the 2nd page are DEAD on and to make that pink adding a light grey to tone it down is gonna be the way to go. That pink is also in the triangle on the helmets right side...I can picture the grey Id use in my head but very little red and very light grey. You guys are making me want to paint mine PP2 now.
Skiff+-+EP6-KEY-112a.jpg

MoM_2001-08-07_152.JPG

Now this is all getting to be reeeeally good... great posts guys.(y)

This is why I think Wisconson Central Maroon is not to dark at all, its great for ROTJ, and we all know ROTJ is darker than the PP2 just by looking at it.. sooo that means the underneath color will determine the outcome, as Terminal Fettler has stated. The pink underneath is the variable that forsure(y)

So someone do the work on this and test this stuff out already!!

Well hopefully TF will come back with his results...but again lighting plays tricks with those reds. The angle of the helmet could also be adding to the light reflecting off it differently

Well hopefully TF will come back with his results...but again lighting plays tricks with those reds. The angle of the helmet could also be adding to the light reflecting off it differently
Yeah lighting and camera photos are definately tricky.. that's why its best to stick with what we know, same painter, painted at the same time, with the same paints..(y)

you guys see mojo is gonna make ali ears?

Should be pretty sweet.. cant wait.

I want to show Sandy's helmets separate from eachother to make sure we are all clear on which helmets we are referring to.

Again taken from this picture:
painting-grant-mccune-helmet-gmh-sandy-helmets-02.jpg-47501d1287623936

This also shows the different lighting, camera's used, and any additional effects used to change the colors...yet we all know they "should" be relatively the same in terms of tone and color.

PP2 PROMO:

attachment.php

PP2/ GMH:

attachment.php

ROTJ:

attachment.php

Sandy ROTJ helmet.jpg

Sandy PP2 Promo helmet.jpg

Sandy PP2 helmet.jpg

I was doing some color tests today and have a couple of pics below.
The first shows the same chips under slightly different lighting. All were taken with natural lighting to varying degrees. Starting with bright sunlight in the room, varying down to shades drawn and me standing between the window and the paint chips.
The colors are captioned.

IMG_3354.jpg

I still feel the WC Maroon is too dark.

Here's another, along with some color tests for the "back panel" green.

Maincolortest.jpg

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back