Painting the Grant McCune Helmet (GMH)

Now this is a thread... lovin the fact that everyone is clubbing together!! awesome!
Hey TF... you done any colour testing yet? ;)

BEST TDH thread in years.
Thanks for all your hard work guys!!
In seeing the color tests above, I do see that C&O enchantment blue looks a little too blue, and not green enough.
Just goes to show that we dont know what we think we know when it comes to Fett.
Great work fellas!!

caboose is looking good what about PRR Maroon? I think thats the color I have at home that is pretty close I think???

PRR Maroon is a very dark shade. I use it on the dark reddish "damage" on the ESB mandibles, so in my opinion, I don't think it would be a good choice for the PP2 mandibles.

Eric, great turn around on the swatches... (y)
I do have a few questions on your swatches though..

Were these Enamel or Arylic paints? Reason I ask this cause you know as well as I know that Floquil Enamel and Acrylic can dry a different tone.

How thin or thick did you apply the paint on your swatch? most of the paint application doing a layered effect are "waffer" thin applications... ("waffer" stolen from TF, ;)) this can also effect the outcome of the color.

**Were your swatches on White, Silver, or grey primer painted background?
As we have stated throughout the thread the base color that is on the bottom of these colors will definately effect the outcome of the color. In addtion, just doing layered vs topical swatches can and will make a difference on the color outcome...

Here is a great pic of the ROTJ helmet, which seems to be darker to most, but is probably the same color as the PP2.. except the ROTJ has a Dark gray underneath color, which definatly is effecting the outcome of the red to the naked eye...

attachment.php

Just some things to think about... still, I love that you knocked it out. Awesome work. (y)

*Ill be painting the GMH hopefully this weekend and will post progress pics throughout.

grey underneath.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, i did a couple of quick test strips, i won't confuse things with the colour i used as you guys seem to be on top of that...(y) I can help out with the way i think they were layered and painted though. Is it possible that photo of all three helmets on the table with the paints is showing the pre shading stage? If thats the case then the first silver layer would have already been liquid masked. I used a black enamel misted straight onto the silver base, this needs to be fixed with a matt varnish to protect it from being rubbed off ( i didnt do this hence it rubbed off slightly ). Next i liquid masked the misted areas, on the ROTJ test i went straight on with the red, three good coats. On the PP 2 test i mixed the red with a light grey to achieve the pink colour, again three good coats. Liquid masked the pink, then three good coats of the red. There appears to be a subtle difference in the reds, the PP 2 test seems darker...

DSCF0001_84.JPG

Ref Spideyfett's post above..

Here is a great pic of the ROTJ helmet, which seems to be darker to most, but is probably the same color as the PP2.. except the ROTJ has a Dark gray underneath color, which definatly is effecting the outcome of the red to the naked eye...

Interesting close up of the ROTJ helmet, i think that red paint has gone on really thick, four or five coats at least, maybe to darken it up with the light silver underneath, if the silver damage was liquid masked, the paint was left to fully dry as well, you can see the really flaky edge detail which only happens when you do this...

Spidey, the RotJ helmet has some spots of grey under the red, it was not painted all grey, just a few spots around the "real scratches".

BTW, great tests TF! What red have you used?

PS: I was wrong about the red colour on the PP#2 being diferent, I've been looking some actual pics and it looks a pinky red colour too.

painting-grant-mccune-helmet-gmh-dscf0001_84.jpg-47526d1287740028

Awesome test swatch!!(y) That looks great TF... what color did you go with for the pink? Looks good.

Interesting close up of the ROTJ helmet, i think that red paint has gone on really thick, four or five coats at least, maybe to darken it up with the light silver underneath, if the silver damage was liquid masked, the paint was left to fully dry as well, you can see the really flaky edge detail which only happens when you do this...

Here are a few more High Res pics.. Thanks to Art.

SWTE_2009_02_05_174.jpg

SWTE_2009_02_05_176.jpg

SWTE_2009_02_05_164.jpg

SWTE_2009_02_05_165.jpg

I'm reeeally starting to like this Caboose color though. I wanted to shy away from anything ESB, but I think you're on to something Superjedi.(y)

I like it...

attachment.php

Color test ROTJ Caboose.jpg

I like the WCMaroon better. Please superjedi, would you take a pic with flash?

EDIT: not really, it's too dark, but a lighter tone of this colour would be the best IMO.

heres a question what material are you doing the color test on? are you priming the swatch and adding silver basecoat? Also theres clearly grey under the red whether or not its a full layer or just misted in splotches its there even on the PP2 as you can see in the hi res pics

I do have a few questions on your swatches though..

Were these Enamel or Arylic paints? Reason I ask this cause you know as well as I know that Floquil Enamel and Acrylic can dry a different tone.

How thin or thick did you apply the paint on your swatch? most of the paint application doing a layered effect are "waffer" thin applications... ("waffer" stolen from TF, ;)) this can also effect the outcome of the color.

**Were your swatches on White, Silver, or grey primer painted background?
As we have stated throughout the thread the base color that is on the bottom of these colors will definately effect the outcome of the color. In addtion, just doing layered vs topical swatches can and will make a difference on the color outcome...

Oops, just noticed the questions.
1) Except for the Caboose, which is Floquil enamel, all the other colors are Polly S acrylics.
2) I applied only enough to get even coverage. I did it by brush though, not sprayed.
3) I did my swatches on plain white styrene.

I'm still doing tests and next I plan to spray the colors over some dark primer. (y)

heres a question what material are you doing the color test on? are you priming the swatch and adding silver basecoat? Also theres clearly grey under the red whether or not its a full layer or just misted in splotches its there even on the PP2 as you can see in the hi res pics

The colour tests I've done are on plastic card primed with grey, then a solid silver base coat. The pre shading is done with black, not grey, which is how I see this layer. Because the black is only applied as a thin misted layer, i don't think it effects the red layer... or the pink layer...and it is only localized around certain silver damage, not all over the surface...( as in the 3 helmet shot on the desk? )

Do anyone has Floquil Boxcar Red at hand, to do a test with this colour? Here's a pic of the Boxcar Red, one with weathering (right) and one without (left). I think it looks pretty close?

Framingham_Yard_and_Weathering_197.jpg

I have Boxcar. I'm doing some tests tonight. I painted a piece of plastic with grey primer then bright silver then one side with reefer grey. Next I'm gonna lay down every variety of red I have over the silver and the grey. Pics late tonight or tomorrow hopefully.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back