New Member Darklord Tries to Build a Better Boba Action Figure

Spectacular. You thought about making these and selling them on mass?

Heh... I honestly think that would KILL me! :D I've been customizing STAR WARS Action Figures for about 15 years now. And I honestly did not plan on going as far as I did on this Boba Fett custom figure. This was literally a creation that grew and grew beyond even me.

And although I've enjoyed myself tremendously during this process, I must say I'm also very glad it's almost over now.

Wow that is just simply amazing great work I cannot believe the level of detail that you have put into recreating this Fett.

Man, as someone who owns all the previous Boba figures, this thread was like reading into my thoughts and doing exactly what I wish I could do!

Wow!!! When I first read the title I was wondering what a better Fett could be, since I've seen some pretty fantastic ones here. This is truly an awesome piece of work!

HELMET DETAILING

Sometimes the fine detail phase is fun. And sometimes it is NOT.

Tonight, it was definitely NOT fun!

I worked to finalize the final details of Boba Fett’s helmet and it was truly a tedious experience.

Using strip styrene, I re-created the raised ridge details at the back of the helmet (which were lost during the cranial enlargement operation I performed three weeks ago).

DSC01243.jpg

DSC01244.jpg

I carefully measured the required size of the raised ridge and began assembling it off of the helmet. I made 45 degree angled miter cuts at the corners to form the right angles on this raised detail.

DSC01245.jpg

DSC01246.jpg

DSC01247.jpg

Let’s just say that when the strips are this small, performing this operation accurately requires more that a few attempts.

When the square ridge detail had fully set, I painted it in the correct dull red.

DSC01250.jpg

While I waited for the paint to dry, I painted the rear bottom half of the helmet in dark green.

Using superglue, I carefully attached the assembled, painted ridge to the rear of the helmet.

DSC01252.jpg

I next turned my attention to the helmet’s rangefinder.

I really felt like I needed to correct the rubbery, overly thick rod of the rangefinder into something that was thinner and cleaner.

DSC01254.jpg

DSC01255.jpg

DSC01256.jpg

DSC01257.jpg

DSC01258.jpg

I actually used a single staple from a grapple gun, straightened it, and attached the rangefinder tip. I was very pleased with its overall slender metallic look once it was attached to the helmet.

DSC01263.jpg

DSC01264.jpg

DSC01265.jpg

DSC01266.jpg

DSC01267N.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright, some PM'ed requests have come in for some up to date photos of the custom Boba Fett figure in it's current state. It's also been requested to make the photos a bit less "shadowy" so that all details of the figure are visible.

Well here are some new photos more frontally lit.

Since the last time a full body shot of the figure was taken, I added:

1) The Working Shin Pockets with separate Shin tools (veneers) to get away from the standard production figure's molded look. The pockets have since been made even MORE flush again the figure's shins (they were a bit too bulky before / Now they are correct). NOTE: Looking at these new photos, I am SOOOOO glad that I went to the trouble of creating these pockets and tools veneers. To my eyes they make such a huge difference in the final look of the figure when compared to the molded pocket/shins look.

2) The stalk for the helmet's rangefinder has been made much stronger, straighter, slimmer, and sturdier (with the use of a grapple gun staple)

3) The rear of the helmet has had the ridge details finalized (not visible from these photos).

DSC01242A.jpg

DSC01239A.jpg

DSC01240A.jpg

DSC01241A.jpg

DEATILS STILL PENDING:

1) All pieces of armor (crotch, torso plates, backpack mount, collar armor) painted (if needed) and final glue.

2) Fastening straps added to the the backs of armored knee pads, and to the underside of crotch armor.

3) Final gloved hands painted and the raised white details added to the backs of both hands

4) Bicep sleeve cuffs sculpted to both upper arms

5) Power feed tube added to right arm wrist weapon gauntlet.

6) Final decal graphics added to back rocketpack

7) Tiny fastening studs added to collar armor shoulder seams. Aperature drilled into collar armor for side cape fastening.

8) Correct color wookie braids (3 strands) added and bundled with correct red and black bands.

9) Flack vest turtle neck created in fabric to match the rest of the garment.

10) Touch ups on paint rubs on the utility belt and left hand wrist gauntlet weapon.

11) Darkening right shoulder bell into (correct) deep orange (while left shoulder bell stays the current (correct) yellow.

12) Performing silver paint touch ups on steel toe spikes and steel fastening studs on sides on armored knee pads.

13) Lastly, Laser rifle updated into correct configuration to match prop as seen in film.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fantastic!

The only thing that stands out (at least to me) is that the RF stalk seems just a tad too high. If you are happy though it's cool.

Nope. You are ABSOLUTELY CORRECT, Muad'Dib. The RF stalk is a bit too tall (as someone else on another site pointed out) it will be corrected in the next update.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back