Got my MLC helmet to day. (progress pic added)

Good start and nice choice of colors, Mobius!
I encountered the same problem with the silver looking too flashy. Lee promised me that after some handling with the helmet(and a few coats of clearcoats) that it would be dulled down and he was right!

-Mikael

Last edited by a moderator:
I took a 2000 grit waterproof sandpaper and put it in water and sanded around the scratches. It does wonders, it smooths out the area around the scratches and it does not change the colour.

I´m gonna try to use 1500 og 1000 grit paper, the 2000 is a bit to fine.

I am in the prosess of fixing the mandable as it did´nt turn out as I wanted to.

I´m gonna use a diffrent colour and hope it will work out better.

I was a little bit worried about sanding up only the mandable but it turned out perfect and no problems.

Hey man if your having that much trouble getting the paints shipped to you. You sould go through someone you feel comfortable w/ on this board to buy it and be like the middle man and ship it out to you. Just my 2 cents - Tim

If those paints are flammable then you're going to have no luck in getting someone to ship them from the US. I don't beleive they allow flammable items to be shippeed overseas.

These are acrylic paints, waterbased. I was testing Pastel colors for weathering. I mixed brown and black together is works wonders.

Will post progress pics soon, everything is proseeding as I have forseen. he he he he he.

Well this is my progress since monday I think.

I forgot to take photos of the repainted mandable will do it soon.

Here is the back of the helmet. As you read this I´m waiting for the red paint to dry around the keyslots.
111_1150.jpg

111_1151.jpg

Here I was testing the Pastel powder, I mixed black with brown and brushed them on.
111_1149.jpg

Good job man, did you use the latex technique on the back of the helmet too? I like the way that turned out, keep it up. - Tim

Ok now it is almost finished, all that is left is to paint the ears, the rangefinder and put in a visor and decorate the interior

That´s alot.

Ok here is how it looks today. I´m gonna relax for a few days for now.

I used black and brown pastel powder wich I put in a small bowl and a little amount of water so it makes a paste. I than applied it with a sponge, and it made a darkbrown layer wich I then wiped of using circular motion, and then I used another clean dry towel to finish it of.

111_1154.jpg

111_1155.jpg

111_1156.jpg

111_1157.jpg

111_1158.jpg

Ok what do you think, is this ok, will this work.

Well I´m gonna go out an run 5 kilometers listing to Mike Oldfield while I´m at it.

That looks awesome - I love the weathering! :cheers

The colours look great and again the weathering... where did you get the powders
icon5.gif

Well done - no more problems with the paint adhering I assume?

Keep up the great work!

Loranar

No the paint stuck on after I sanded it up after the first time. Although I was extremly careful when I was removing the tape that I used to mask of the cheeks, dome and so on.

I went to the painters shop here in Reykjavik, it is located at Skólavörðustígur near Hallgrímskirkja (kirkja means church) (just a bunch of useless information for you):wacko

There I bought a black and brown pastelchalks and grinded them down with a rough sandpaper. I bought the softest I could find.

As I said mixed a little bit of water to make a paste, and then I applied it to the dome with a sponge. That made a darkbrown layer wich I then wiped of few moments later with a papertowel. Then I used a dry cloth and wiped it accross the surface to smooth it out.

Thank You:cheers

I just finsihed the kill marks, I used the template made by TK-409, thanks Chris. Worked perfect.

It bleeded a bit, I´m not sure why because I used the same bethood on the armor, and it did not bleed. Maybe it is because of the domeshape of the helmet and the tape I used.

Anyway here it is, I will use a surgicalblade I got from ER ,last time I went there, to scrape it very, I mean very carefully of.

I thought I seal the tape to the helmet hard enough. But something happend.
111_1168.jpg

111_1170.jpg

Ok wanted to show you my helmet with my armor.

Still there are a lot of things left. Like the interior, the rangefinder has to be permanently secured in it´s place, I just used hot glue just for display.

I finsihed the left ear still have to weather it with pastels. Right ear did not turn out so good, but it is not a disaster easy to redo.

Still some weathering to do and figure out how to install led´s in the rangefinder. I want to buy a small lazer pointer dismantle it and put in the Rangefinder. (just a thought)

I´m gonna take a rest for now, maybe I will cut out a visor and put in.

111_1188.jpg

111_1187.jpg

The bucket looks awesome next to the armor - very well done. (y)

I am very impressed with your weathering and the amount of detail put into the helmet (especially the interior).

Great job and keep up the good work!

Loranar

This thread is more than 20 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back