substitute trash can for AFettFullofDollers'

kingcamero

New Hunter
I was looking to make my first armor and I found AFettFullofDollers' trash can armor so I went to wal-mart to find the trash can he specified and it wasn't there. There was no oval shaped 13 gal sterilite trash can (or any oval shaped trash cans for that matter). I was wondering is there any other trash can that would work? I was thinking getting one of the half oval with a flat back to substitute, then just get a round one for the shoulder bells and abdomen , but I'd figure I'd ask you more experienced guys on TDH before making a noob mistake.

Thanks Guys...

You can reshape the plastic if it isn't the correct shape to start with. Just heat it in the oven and shape it to fit, then cool it with water in the sink.

It does not require near the skill level you probably think it does. I was scared to try it for a while but once I used the oven a few times it really is straight forward. Heat it up to about 200-250 and put the armor on a cookie sheet. Once it heats up take it out and shape it then put in some water in the sink.

It does not require near the skill level you probably think it does. I was scared to try it for a while but once I used the oven a few times it really is straight forward. Heat it up to about 200-250 and put the armor on a cookie sheet. Once it heats up take it out and shape it then put in some water in the sink.
The thing I was most worried about was the temperature and the length of time to leave it in for. But thanks to you, I now know the former, and I can probably play the latter by ear. Thanks much!

Well I ended up buying 2 of the half oval one with the flat back. The thought process was I would use the front with the curve to make all the pieces like they showed but using the flat back for the back plate which needs to be flat anyways. Now all I need is to actually print out the WoF templates, if I can get my printer to work. What program are you guys using to print because mine keeps on coming out weird?

I've just printed his templates directly from the PDF at 100% (via Adobe Acrobat Reader), and it's come out fine. Make sure you're not trying to use A4-sized paper with the letter-sized document -- or vice-versa.

Mine is showing up as a GIF image not a PDF file. All I did was click WoF's link for the large at the top and I get a GIF file once I download it, and from there it's near impossible to get it to print let alone adjust it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok I finally got the templates printed out so just to size them I put them on one of my T-shirts. I'm 6 ft with average build, so I printed out WoF's large templates that were the correct size and placed them on one of my new large size T-shirts and they look rather small. But this is also my first set of armor so I don't know if thats just my untrained eye.
HNI_0011.JPG HNI_0010.JPG Obviously one was with sleeves out and other was with sleeves tucked in, but both have about 4-5 in of space left on the bottom. Is it supposed to be like that?

the ab armor isn't going to go down to the "belt line". If it did you wouldn't be able to bend. Remember you are going to have a girthbelt and ammo pouches around your waist to fill up that space. That looks about right to me. You will also lose some "size" side to side when you shape the armor around your body.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back