Material Question and Plastic Info

lpitcher23

New Hunter
I am going to get into building armor as a project (I know, me and 100 others on the board). I have a couple of questions:

Is there a list of the best or at least accepted parts for each part of the outfit so I know where to start?

Also how do the Sintra and other plastics look as a finished product?

On a side note I am an outside sales representative for a plastic distributor that sells Sintra, ABS and other materials if anyone needs help, wants to know where to get material, etc.

If you have questions about fabrication, adhesives, or materials please let me know and I will be happy to assist, I would just ask for some community assistance on my project in return.

I have seen several questions on this forum so here are some basics on Sintra:

Sintra is a brand name for expanded pvc (like Kleenex for tissue paper):
Here are some names for the material that may ask for: EPVC, Expanded PVC, Sintra, Celtec, Komatex, Simapore. All are very close to the same but there are a few slight differences (i.e. Celtec is actually the most dense of the materials and has the glossiest finish). They are available in many colors and the standard is a 4ft x 8ft sheet. Thinkness are in mm but run close to inch sizes (3mm = .118, 6mm = .236). For a 3mm sheet you can get them for under $20 if you get it at the right place (plastic distributors are the best, email me if you want some local places). The material is sold by the pound so 6mm is just about double the price. Sintra is non toxic and is a staple for ads that you see hanging in Walmart, Target, etc and is also used as shelf liners because it is easy to heat bend or bend with a hot wire.

You may also consider dibond for the armor as well. Dibond is used for stop signs and displays made to look like metal. It is used for that because it is lighter than plastic and easily fabricated. The material iteself is an aluminum skin on each side of a plastic core and available in many colors. So what you will see on the outside is actually metal.

If you have questions about fabrication, adhesives, or other materials please let me know and I will be happy to assist, I would just ask for some community assistance on my project in return.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back