Another beginner question

Hi everyone i plan on starting my rotj bobba costume and i have a question and please me out. Im not sure what to use i guess mat board or polystyrene i hope i spelled that right. Im just not sure on how i go about obtaining these i guess i would like to use plastic.Would i be able to go to home depot or menards or somewhere that that is local im only 16 HA. Are for sale signs just as good ive never done anything like this but i want i figuere plastic is best. Im from the US i dont think that matters

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm pretty new here myself. I've got two helmets in the works and have learned a lot in the process.

The first I started off intending to use posterboard impregnated with fiberglass resin. It works but is pretty heavy. I ended up adding fiberglass cloth as well but it's quite sturdy. For the outer layer I used sheet styrene from US Plastics. I believe it was .6mm... With shipping it was like $12 and is enough for two or more helmets

The second I eliminated the posterboard and used straight styrene. I did use some thick, non-corrugated cardboard for the forms inside the dome, but most of that gets cut out after the dome's done. I reinforced this one with fiberglass as well.

One thing I will add is that I wouldn't recommend going the route of using posterboard and resin. I tried it in making a cod piece as well as knee armor and the posterboard serves as its weak point. It'll flex enough to rip the whole thing apart. I don't think it'll be a problem on the helmet but everything else I tried worried me enough I won't try it again.

That said, I HIGHLY recommend making a prototype out of posterboard before you do anything else. It's dirt cheap and you learn a lot from it instead of making mistakes using your more expensive plastics.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back