Do we really have the SE correct?

gymbeau2000

Active Hunter
Ok, unless I missed something, the SE Fett is the one we see in the re-inserted ANH Jabba scene correct? After pouring over the stencils, the "wafer thin WIP" & while making my own ESB after a solid week of painting, I feel I know the ESB bucket very well. Well tonight I was watching the HD ANH on Spike once again and just saw the Boba scene. I think we have it mixed up. The ANH Boba is definitely wearing the ROTJ bucket or something, but for sure not an ESB! My reasons:

First off, red, not yellow kill stripes.
Next, the back panel detailing is not right at all. You see two or three large chips on the rear left, but not long scratches like ESB.
Lastly, he turns and faces the camera and the front damage doesn't line up the same. There is a large chip over the left eye which is too large. The cheek scratches are not the same, but curiously, the "cat scratch" looks to be present.

Which leads me to a different theory. This is a repainted Fett suit of some origin. Reasons I think this:

1. The back of the bucket's keyslots does not look like it's even painted red. Lighting for the blue screening might have messed with this some, since the whole costume looks really dark.

2. Most striking to me was that the left shoulder is missing the mythosaur skull! I thought maybe the shoulders were reversed, but the damage doesn't look the same, not to mention the somewhat darker color.

3. The different damage I mentioned above.

Now please tell me someone else spotted all this stuff and there is an explanation. Otherwise, my eyes and TV are failing me.

If you look through the gallery, specifically the "Special Edition" you'll notice that the first few pics are an actor gearing up in mostly the original ROTJ armor that can be found in the MOM exhibit photos. When most people refer to SE, they're usually going by the very brief scene in Jabbas during ROTJ (where he gives the 'chin up' gesture to the female), the AOSW Exhibit, or most documented, the gray backdrop photoshoot where its a model posing in various stances with what is known as the "SE" suit. It features a various mix of pre-pro, ROTJ, and ESB parts (most notably the ESB Hero helmet).

Most people don't go by the ANH Boba when they refer to "Special Edition" since its so jacked up ;)

Well that makes total sense! I'll keep my eyes peels during the Saga run tomorrow on tv. I just found out in some of the photoshoot pics from ANH that the skull is on the wrong side, but I still think it might be a repainted/refurbished Fett suit. The should damage doesn't look right.

anh se is rotj but with reversed shoulder bells and pre-pro knees. george love to keep continuity straight... [/sarcasm]

Technically, I've not seen a true SE reproduction yet. This would mean someone using a damaged jetpack (ala the sarlacc pit scene), and wearing the rope girth in a way that it rides above and peeks over the top of the ammo belt. You can see the jetpack is predamaged in Jabba's palace when he is walking around in the shadows. Basically, they grabbed a jetpack and dressed Don Bies up on the spot.

What people typically replicate is the combination of costume items worn as seen in the behind the scenes photo shoot, with an intact jetpack and ESB helmet. But people don't technically replicate that correctly either because the blaster is the breakaway version, and it should have only half the scope showing.

Anyway, what people call the SE costume is not what we see on film, but in the photo shoot, so I'm really not sure why we call it that.

And, yes, the ANH SE (with Mark Austin) has a full ROTJ suit with reversed shoulder bells, so if you want to that one, reverse your shoulder bells :)

Most people do the photo shoot version with the extra ammo pouches, but switch the blaster for one that is intact, or they do AOSW (for the most part), or MOM and switch the helmet to ESB.

I haven't seen anyone stick 100% to any one version, and neither do I. There just seems to always be that one element that you prefer that can be found on the other costume, or that is worn a diffferent way on the other costume.

I'm basically replicating each element from whichever reference I see that shows that part as I like it. For instance, I've never seen anyone try to replicate the AOSW version and then write on the edge of the cape in black marker "Boba Fett." So if you leave off that detail, even knowing it's there, then you're doing a "tempered" or stylized version to fit your tastes.

Youve never talked to Ponte then, Hes pretty anal

Ha, I definitely get pretty uptight with accuracy. BUT, to a certain extent. If it completely detracts from the costume (as in, 'Oh look, there's where the lucas film worker dropped it being careless'), then I won't roll with it. I think it would be pretty foolish to replicate all of the cracked and missing chunks from the gauntlets, or the scope that's clearly been broken in half.

But then there's an iffy area that gets really debated. And that's costume practicality. I know me personally, I don't rock the tube connecting to the rocket, because it makes absolutely no sense. So am I TRUE, 100% ROTJ SE as per the photoshoot? Not completely.

All in all, if you set your sights on a screen/promotional used Fett, you should be good to go brother. (y)

I was just curious cause I am a ESB purist. I love the ROTJ cause thats the toy I know, but ESB is the the Fett I know. I'm going for 501st acceptance, so I peered into the SE world for a second, but now am wondering if they should have two different requirements for SE.

In a fiction viewpoint, Seeing Boba like he is in ANH plays out well. Except all the damage..lol Thanks all for the feedback, now I know I wasn't seeing stuff.

Personally, I never liked the fact they stuck Boba in ANH as an afterthought. What it does is make him look like one of Jabba's mere cronies instead of a BA bounty hunter. Yep, just hangin' out with Jabba.

And in the SE ROTJ where he's chucking the dancing girl under the chin. Puhlease. Fett is supposed to be the intergalactic version of Clint Eastwood. It just didn't work for me. Would have rather they would have flipped the image correctly when he draws on Boussh so his antenae was on the correct side.

And since I no longer acknowledge the prequels, Boba ain't no clone, so his voice in ESB needs to be changed back to the way it was.

that's why i have laserdisk rips of the 1995 THX original trilogy burned on dvd; and they're perfect, just the way they are. though i should look into ripping their .iso for future use in case i damage one of the discs.

As has been stated many times before, it's a shame when the "original" trilogy was rereleased on DVD, it's a shame they did use the cleaned up remastered material, just without the xtra **** and enhancements. I don't actually mind the Jabba scene, or wouldn't if Boba were cut out. I know that may sound like blasphemy, but he's a character where he's more interesting the less we see of him.

Prequels . . . get out of here. I do not want to see Darth Vader and Boba Fett as little kids.

I was just curious cause I am a ESB purist. I love the ROTJ cause thats the toy I know, but ESB is the the Fett I know. I'm going for 501st acceptance, so I peered into the SE world for a second, but now am wondering if they should have two different requirements for SE.

In a fiction viewpoint, Seeing Boba like he is in ANH plays out well. Except all the damage..lol Thanks all for the feedback, now I know I wasn't seeing stuff.

I got 501st approval with my SE Fett but your 501st # will be for a ROTJ because the 501st doesnt have a seperate designation for the SE Fett yet. I decided to bail on the SE and go with my ROTJ helmet and change the details to conform to full ROTJ.
So to clarify they will require approve you as an SE Fett but your be for ROTJ.

Gday all, I've been combing the threads looking for an answer to this one: the flight suit colour in ANH (i.e. SE kit) is it grey (as is depicted in the THX original) or a sandy/khaki colour????
Cheers in advance

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back