GONK is underway!

Muad Dib

Active Hunter
I kinda started this in 2008 and after seeing the Droid Room at CV, I finally decided to finish it.

0829101421a.jpg

Still have to do all the detailing and the rubber trim to hide the seam but you can see it's getting there.

I may even make it wearable and try to eventually convince the forthcoming "little man" to wear it someday. ;)

I will tell you that building those scallops into the sides was a real pain and I see why some builders don't add those details.

I added some of the details to the front side panels but ran out of primer.
I'm going out today to look for something suitable for the two round parts that stick out on the back, right side.
...and more primer.

0904101108a.gif

0904101109a.gif

Yep, $5 IKEA bins. They are a lid-less type but made from polypropalene so I needed to scuff them pretty good to get the paint to adhere really well.

I picked up some .97 cent ashtrays for what I guess are two round power couplers on the rear, right side. The little "butt holes" (tee hee!) will allow air to be drawn in from the fans I am going to conceal inside the bin behind them.

0905101407a.jpg

I will liberate some black ribbed wire loom covers from work Tuesday for the two hoses that go between them on each side.

Great! I've gotten some good natured flak for doing such an "easy" droid but I always thought the little guys endearing.

Here's the previously orange hatch thing now complete with tabs.
You can best see it in the close-up cut of the GONK as it runs away from the Jawas after they open the sandcrawler door.
0907101942a.jpg

...and installed:
0907102146a-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are the "couplers" or whatever they are so far. I will add some stuff to them to hide the fact that they are ashtrays but do any of you have any suggestions?

0914101916b.jpg

0914101916c.jpg

Dremeling down the bottom ridge on the ashtrays may help diquise them and maybe some bondo to smooth out the upper ridge making it all 1 level....just my 2 cents.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back