Thoughts and prayers for my Dad.

drokkul

Well-Known Hunter
My dad has been diagnosed with Anoplastic carcinoma thyroid cancer. Its a very rare cancer and has little to no treatment.

I talked to him tonight and the bad part about it is I know, my mom knows, my 2 sisters know, but he doesn't find out until tomorrow.

Tomorrow my dad has to go to a doctor who is going to tell him that he has about 3-6 months to live.

I didn't think it was right for him not to know, but he had a heart attack last year and my mom is afraid that he may have another when he gets the news so wants to be at the doctors office when he finds out. Talking to him on the phone tonight and not losing it may have been one of the hardest things I've ever had to do.

My grandparents on my dads side lived to 95 (grandpa) and just six months shy of 100 (grandma). So I never really saw anything like this coming on. He'll be 78 in Oct. so its just kind of one of those things where you think you still have so much time left.

I just keep flashing back on memories and breaking down. All day long I've thought about going to Ross Cinema in Evansville, IN with him to see ROTJ when it came out. I was 8.

I would greatly appreciate anybody's thoughts and prayers for him. Anything to put some positive energy out there and make it easier in any way, shape, or form.

AND PLEASE! Never take one moment for granted. You never know when the last moment will be.

Thank you everybody.

Im sorry to hear this news, and will have your dad, and family in my thoughts and prayers. I cant even begin to imagine what this must feel like for you and your family. Be strong brother

We are ALL here for you, mate. It is a heavy burden you carry, we are here anytime you need someone to help you carry it. Maybe, after your dad finds out, you should sit down, just you and he, pop ROTJ in and watch it together again. My favorite uncle took me to see ROTJ when I was 6, it was the first time I saw Boba. He took his own life last year after being disfigured in a motorcycle accident. I wish I could have watched it with him one last time, and then told him what an effect it had on me. I like to think that when I put on my Boba, he looks down on me and smiles.

Remember, if ya ever need it, we're all just a pm or phone call away.

My heart sinks when I hear anything like this. Although I likely have some personal idea how you may feel from my own experience, we're all unique and therefor I won't dare try to relate to what you or your family must be going through. But my heart will ache for you nonetheless.

I'm so very sorry brother. My prayers go to you and your family.

God Bless

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
Buddhists believe in the very real fact that nothing is permanent and that desire is the root of all suffering. Because of these facts they go into things knowing that every object, every person, every relationship, will eventually be gone at some point. Some people look at this as kind of morbid and cold. But if you think about it this philosophy not only makes life a bit easier but alot more fun.

We all take for granted that there is all the time in the world. We don't like to think about loss. But if we accept the inevitability of loss then we stop taking things for granted and start living! We live like there's no tomorrow. We treasure our loved ones more, we do our best not to put things off, we don't procrastinate.

As you said, Drokkul, the doctors are more than likely going to give your father a time limit. This time limit may or may not be accurate. You hear about such things all the time. People who were told they have 3 months to live go on for decades. So there is always hope. However, the best thing you can do for yourself, your family, and your father is to live as though he will be gone tomorrow.

The worst thing you can do is mourn what you had. Don't mourn for the past. Celebrate the here and now! Don't shed a single tear now (easier said than done I know). Every moment you waste on sadness is a moment of happiness you take away from the time that is left.

Celebrate this great mans life! Sit down and watch RTOJ with him. Watch the SE so the two of you can laugh about all of the mistakes in it. Don't relive those old memories...make some brand new ones!

And of course all of the brothers and sisters in your extended Star Wars Nerd family will be here for you if you need us.

We are ALL here for you, mate. It is a heavy burden you carry, we are here anytime you need someone to help you carry it. Maybe, after your dad finds out, you should sit down, just you and he, pop ROTJ in and watch it together again. My favorite uncle took me to see ROTJ when I was 6, it was the first time I saw Boba. He took his own life last year after being disfigured in a motorcycle accident. I wish I could have watched it with him one last time, and then told him what an effect it had on me. I like to think that when I put on my Boba, he looks down on me and smiles.

Remember, if ya ever need it, we're all just a pm or phone call away.

dude, that almost brought me to tears. I think your idea is a great.

Stay strong Mando, and know you are not alone.
As I type this, i'm in the hospital with my Father.
He needs a liver, and doesnt have long. We have good and bad days, it's been a rollercoster of conflicting information,
Family quarrells,Red tape, and tough desicions, I will think of you and youre struggle.
I understand exactly what you are going through.
We are here for you.

I wish I had the ability to type what I want to type, but this hits real close to home for me - lost my father to cancer in 2006 - and I'm still not through the grief. All I can say is like everyone else said, you're not alone. We're all here, we're all thinking of you, hoping and praying and sharing some of that pain.
Just do me a favor, do yourself a favor, do your dad a favor....try and remember that no matter what doctors say, no test in the world reveals an expiration date on a human being.

I wish I could say something that would help, I hope this doesn't come off stupid or pointless...just make sure you say everything you need to every day. Every single day. Because you'll always want just one more minute.

J

our hearts and our prayers across the pacific to you and your family... and i believe both you and your dad are strong in will and ready to fight it through! I trust in miracles!!!!!!!

My thoughts are with you, ner vod. TommyD's got the right idea, go make some new memories with your Dad you can cherish before its too late.
I remember what it was like to lose my father; if you need to talk about it, shoot me a PM

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back