Ok brothers and sisters...bottom line it for me.

TommyD

Jr Hunter
I've been reading lots of threads. I've gone over the Sizing and Buying post. I've been back and forth between TDH and the Mercs. But before I pull the trigger on my first bucket purchase I want to hear what you all like. What is your prize bucket and why?

Ideally I would love to do a scratch build but I live in an apartment and work strange hours. So I don't have the time or the space to build.

I'm 5' 11" and 200lbs. So based on the sizing thread I will be staying away from the Rubies and the DPs. But that still leaves me with a few other bucket crafters to chose from. At the moment I am looking at getting a Bobamaker. But I keep seeing names like Gypsyboy, Sgt Fang, FettPride and others. I'm looking for screen accuracy and proper fit for my first costume.

So let's have it! What is your favorite and why? Not only will this help me out but I'm sure alot of other rookies will appreciate the info as well.

Thanks in advance!! (y)

Fettpride and you'll probably get alot more of that answer his new Lids are great and affordable, might take a month or two but its worth the wait

Here is my line-up
Asok, Sgt Fang, M-DSB

img6305b.th.jpg

I would say it depends on what you are doing with this helmet. I love my Asok and it fits my frame well (5'10 185). The Sgt Fang is just a bit bigger. The M-DSB that is shown here is a M/L they make one bigger that is about the same as the Sgt Fang. The easiest to work with is the M-DSB because it is thick and beefy. The Asok is the best balance I think as far as weight to sturdiness. All three of these were fun to work on.

I have not yet had a FP or Bobamaker helmet, but I dealt with Bobamaker on some other things and he was great to deal with. I have heard nothing but good about FP also.

So to sum up I am no help at all.

just my 2 cents

Thanks!! This is what I like to hear!

Mullreel, at this point in my education any help is good help! So thank you.

My main focus for now is to go as screen accurate as possible for my Fett build. I've been looking at the FP buckets and the look amazing. And affordable is always a good thing! I just want to make sure I get a helmet that will fit my mellon plus all the tech/padding that will need to go inside. After reading the sizing post I'm a little worried about getting something too big or too small. And as for having to wait...not big deal. Waiting just gives me time to get/paint other parts and/or do more research so no worries there ;-)

fettpride or bobamaker, can't go wrong with either one of them. since you're located in europe, bobamaker might be the better choice since shipping from the UK to germany doesn't have the extra time and expense of crossing the atlantic ocean.

Thanks Saint. As far as shipping goes I have a bit of a strange situation as I live on a US military installation and have an APO address. I'm not sure exactly how it works but I think if I were to order something from the UK it might get sent to NY or NJ and from there it will get shipped to my APO box. But I'm not 100% on that.

I have a BM helmet, and I absolutely LOVE it, everytime I look at it I find some small detail that I missed before. How long are you in Germany? There was a pretty lengthy wait for me to get my BM due to large demand, but it was worth it. If you're only going to be there a year and you're 7 months in, I'd wait. Or what you could do is have it sent to family or someone stateside then have them ship it to you. If you're going to be there 1 yr + go ahead and have it sent there. Your APO will should work fine from anywhere, after all military base, germany is military base, germany no matter where it starts from. I was in Iraq shopping online and stuff got to me fine.

I'll be in Germany for at least another 3 years (I love it over here (y)) so that shouldn't be a problem.

Both the BM and FP look great! My mom has been asking me what I want for Xmas (I'm 37 years old and she still wants her "baby" to have toys under the tree. gotta love it lol). So I'm asking her for a BM helmet ;)

Hmmm....maybe I should hit her up for a JP too lol

So if good ol' mom gets me the BM then I'll get the FP myself to use for my custom Mando. I'd rather use the FP for my custom simply because the visor needs to be cut out. So if I happen to screw up the removal of the visor plug...which I probably will...I can just leave the damage and call it a "battle scar".

btw, if you're paint skills aren't great, I found it better to pay up the xtra $ and have BM paint it for you, that way it arrives with a sweet paintjob as well. Just a suggestion as to how I went since my helmet painting skills are lacking.

Id still say Fettpride his Budget helmets amazing and Premium is even better, you really dont need the premium but youll want it...Theres plenty of people who paint on the board here for a fee of course or you could paint it yourself, getting it shipped straight to u is only like $30 extra and being an APO it might even be cheaper not positive though, I know its different.

Doing the paint job myself is one of the main reasons I decided on building a Fett costume instead of going with a Vader or Stormtrooper suit. I know with STs there is all kinds of fun weathering you can do but getting a screen accurate paint job on a Fett bucket has got to be an amazing challenge and very much a labor of love/obsession.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back