Airbrush vs. Spray-paint???

johann3064

New Hunter
Hey everybody! I'm fairly new to TDH, haven't been on in a looooong time. I would like to start out by saying hello to everyone and that Celebration V was AWESOME!!! and so was TDH booth!! It really jump started my desire to make an outfit.

I really want to paint everything myself but am a bit inexperienced. I was wondering if I could get some suggestions on airbrush painting vs. spray-painting helmet/armor. I have found where to get all the colors and all that info but was wondering which approach looks better. I'm not really worried about which is easier because I know the whole project is going to be a challenge and I want to take my time and make everything look as good as I can make it. Also if airbrush is the way to go what do I need to get started, as far as all the tools I need go? Oh yeah, and I'm wanting to do and ESB helmet and am looking at getting a BM helmet after some paint practice, if that info helps.

Thanks!!!

hey brother, well, i think it would really be up to personal preference on what you use to paint your stuff with...of course an airbrush is going to be an investment in the first place, and there is always the clean up of your tools afterward...alot of people use the airbrush, and it does take some practice getting used to...i have never used one myself, always went with the rattlecan, and had pretty good success using the rattlecan...you will find that there are color lists for both, so that shouldnt be a problem...i know that you can really define specific areas with an airbrush, like scortch marks around the dents, alot better than the rattlecan, but that can be done in other ways as well...i have seen great paint jobs with airbrush along with rattlecan, and really just depends on your skills and knowing the tricks of the trade to be successful with either method...i guess airbrushing would be considered more "professional", if you will, than rattlecan, but for simplicity sake rattlecan can really make a great paintjob if you know how to do it correctly...if you have any questions about using rattlecans to paint your stuff, please feel free to give me a shout...good luck, welcome back to the boards, and hope this helps! =)

Thanks for the warm welome FettDad!! And the great tips!! Like I said I've got now previous experience with either so I'm gonna do A LOT of research and check out all the different threads on different paint jobs and techniques. Yeah I checked out the airbrush stuff today at a local hobby store and you aren't joking when you call that stuff an investment. Thanks again. And I will definitely give you a shout if I go rattlecans!

Good question when we paint armor, buckets, and even weather Fett we utilize all the mediums including, airbrush, spray paint, topical, layered, splatter, chalks, sprays with windex and colors mixtures, steelwool,wet sanding, toners, and dull quote. It all goes into the mixture of creating your own personal version of Fett. I have had the opportunity to visit the LFL Archieves and I will tell you there are numerous versions they have, what little has been preserved of Fett. I have had them inspect my own person Fett gear, and it has been approved for several different occassions as LFL compliant and utilized by them to represnt FETT. I have an upcoming major release via an LFL affiliate where they utilize my Fett with a sponsor to represnet an upcoming publicity campaign and event. So really, also having worked with the Mouse artist and special effects departments the techniques I mentioned above are utilized to make a character or costumes. The main thing is try you hand a different mediums, get some cheap armor and practice on it and perfect your technique. Keep practicing and eventually paint your own armor. Trust me. everyone on this forum will tell you, Fett is NEVER finished. It is always being plussed, new discovered items added, and honestly always improved. I have trooped and met Jeremy Bulloch on several occassions and he has commented on the superiorty of our costumes verses what he wore on the original shoots. He has commented that we do(troop) what he never could do in the movies. He only had to move a few feet, shoot, rest, repair armor, then wait for the next shoot. The TDH produced for Jeremy his first actual functional suit, which is a real testiment to skills of our the TDH memmbership. So enjoy ,keep asking questions, take classes, and learn from a TDH member if you live by one. They are the greatest and most knowledble on Fett

Hey HMPOTC33!! Thanks for all of the GREAT info!!! I just met Jeremy for the first time at Celebration V and he was fantastic! I'm ready for a challenge and ready to start on my armor! I know I have a long road ahead of me and a great place for help and questions.

I did my first set of armor using brushes and it was time consuming and didn't come out the best. Then I had a troop and while I was packing for it I broke my backplate. Not having the time to do it right with brushes I grabbed a cheap airbrush that used canned air to put a quick base coat on one to make it through a weekend. After that I decided I wanted to learn to use the airbrush so I went and got a starter setup and have really enjoyed learning it. I'm on my 2nd brush now and will probably buy a 3rd soon as the more I use it the better I get and realize the good and bad points of different types of brushes. I've done a new set of armor and now use a combination between airbrushing and topical application for all of my painting. Every time I paint something I get a little better and learn a little more. I highly recommend airbrushes because you can do things with them you can't do with rattlecans and because they are awfully fun to learn and use.

It will take a little practice.
You will be very happy with the results.
Here's a set of armor I am painting right now with an Airbrush.
No way I could have done it with rattle-cans.
mrnostripesarmor.jpg

Airbrush. Get a used two stage airbrush off eBay and go to town! I bought a used Paasche VL two or three years ago for about $50 and an aircompressor at WalMart and never looked back.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back