Just About Finished my ROTJ Gauntlets

webchief

Well-Known Hunter
Thank you so much to Ruffkintoy for these AWESOME gauntlets! I love them! I'm just about done with them, I just want to dirty them up a bit more, add the third hose to the right gauntlet and add the red LED and switch to the left gauntlet.

Whatcha think?

DSCF0019.JPG

Check out my machined aluminum darts that my friend made for me!!! I love them!!!

DSCF0024.JPG

DSCF0025.JPG

DSCF0026.JPG

DSCF0028.JPG

DSCF0029.JPG

DSCF0031.JPG

Also, thank you to Batninja for your great hose attachment tutorial and parts list! Couldn't have done it without your recommendations at Lowes!

Thanks, yes it was pretty quick wasn't it? :lol: I built these last Thursday night and through Friday so I could wear them to the Halloween costume contest. Now I can take more time to go back and tweak a few things.

Any suggestions? They seem a bit too red for me, course I haven't given them any overspray with black or anything yet. I used TK-409's suggestions for the red paint color that he used on his gauntlets.

The only things I can think of is a black wash maybe, or airbrushing some dark grays or what I have done on some things is to rub blakc on it and rub it off right away. I usually use acrylic or acrylic enamel for that. They definately need toned down some, they look to bright and cheery:)

For mine, I rubbed some of that dry graphite lubricant for RC cars in various spots onto the gauntlet, (which will darken it with a metallic sheen), and sprayed with Testors Dull Cote, which darkens it a little more and seals on the dry graphite lube.

They look nice and grungy in real life, but still with camera flashes look all bright and cheery. :(

Wicked job on the gauntlets - they look great. (y) As far as dirtying them up try charcoal or that Black BBQ Paint - it has a nice dull almost burnt look to it.

BTW - do you have a link to that hose connection tutorial?

Loranar

Anyone know of a tutorial for assembling a set of Ruffkins ROTJ gauntlets? I just got mine and want to take the time to learn exactly what I need to do so (in sequence if possible) I don't mess them up. Which is always a possibility with my handiwork when I get in too big of a rush. Any help would be greatly appreciated...Thanks!

Anyone know of a tutorial for assembling a set of Ruffkins ROTJ gauntlets? I just got mine and want to take the time to learn exactly what I need to do so (in sequence if possible) I don't mess them up. Which is always a possibility with my handiwork when I get in too big of a rush. Any help would be greatly appreciated...Thanks!

Not sure if awakening dead threads is that much appreciated, but here's a link to Mandalore697's build-up progress in any case. It is very informative, and will probably help you out.

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/showthread.php?t=10178

P.S.

Found this post by Cenobyte too - very nice in-depth instructions.

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/showpost.php?p=97158&postcount=2

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I have almost all of the pinholes etc filled with Bondo and sanded, except the rocket, I'll get to that after bit. Once I get the two sintra (which I hoped were fiberglass, but cest la vie) halves hinged together, I think I'll be home free. However, I'm not certain how the hinges attach and where exactly they attach. Those tutorials pics didn't really show any of that-or at least the pics I could see didn't show how to fit them together so the hinges are not seen...Can anyone take pity on this poor newbie and help me get these things knocked out so I can finish my bucket and my knee armor that came today-Bobamaker rules! Thanks guys.

However, I'm not certain how the hinges attach and where exactly they attach. Those tutorials pics didn't really show any of that-or at least the pics I could see didn't show how to fit them together so the hinges are not seen.

Looking at Mandalore697's first post, I see some rather nice hinge-pictures of where they are attached, and how the halves fit together. There are many ways to attach the hinges e.g. rivets or strong glue.

And if you feel that reinforcing the styrene gauntlets (not really sintra) with fibreglass is necessary, here's guide to that:
http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/showthread.php?t=4746

Yeah, I tend to have folks go out of their way to dig up even old threads if it'll help me out. So thanks for taking pity on a newbie from hell and answering my questions. Maybe I'll get the piano hinges after while and give it a try. I thought maybe rivets would work more on a permanent basis compared to epoxy or Goop etc. Speaking of which, I picked up some "Plumbers Goop" the other day after hearing about it. Is it the plumbing variety which you folks use on your projects, or is it another kind? I have thought about adding fiberglass to the styrene body of the gauntlet, but it'll be lighter without. Perhaps I'll be able to find a fiberglass pair should I be performing Dha Werda Verda anytime in the near future...:D Thanks again guys, your help is much appreciated...

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back