Trooping in the sun and you....

dsonik1

Active Hunter
I decided to post this up after realizing that some of the stuff I take for granted (in regards to safe trooping) is not common knowledge. Hopefully it helps some of you out.

Summertime is trooping time, and also a time when we hear about guys "falling out" from the combination of heat and layers. So here are some solutions to insure that you dont become a statistic. We'll call these Boba's Laws of Trooping.

Boba's Laws of Trooping:

1. IF YOU NEED A HANDLER, THEY'LL ALL DISAPPEAR...... RIGHT THEN.

Normally, this is when you need water the most. Be prepared for the occasion that you have no handler *tips below

2. ANY DAY A TROOP IS SCHEDULED WILL ALWAYS FALL ON THE HOTTEST DAY IN KNOWN EXISTENCE.

You should prepare for every summer troop with this in mind. *see below

3. NO MATTER HOW MANY TIMES YOU PACK YOUR SUIT THE NIGHT BEFORE, SOMETHING YOU MUST HAVE WILL BE LEFT AT HOME, AND YOU WILL NOT REALISE THIS UNTIL YOU ARE HALFWAY TO THE TROOP WITH NO TIME TO TURN AROUND.

It's just the way it is, always make sure to put your cooler in your vehicle the night before, because if you're going to forget something it had better not be the water. This is doubly true if your told someone else is providing the water, since this rule applies to them especially. NEVER depend on someone else in regards to hydration.

4. THE MOST WELL ORGANIZED EVENT YOU ATTEND WILL BE THE MOST DISORGANIZED THING YOU'VE EVER EXPERIENCED.

See rule No. 3. If the one thing the organizers forget is water, what do you do?

5. THE STRONGEST PART OF YOUR SUIT WILL BE THE FIRST PIECE YOU BREAK.

Do your best to make sure that "part" is not you. Stay hydrated. The kids are going to be much more upset that Boba died of heat stroke in front of them, than that they had to wait a couple extra minutes so Boba could get a drink or go sit down and cool off for a bit.

6. YOU WILL FEEL THE BEST YOU'VE EVER FELT IN YOUR LIFE, UNTIL YOU HAVE TO SUIT UP, THEN YOU WILL BE STRICKEN BY THE PLAGUE.

Bring headache medicine and Pepto Bismol. We wear helmets in the heat, which is a cocktail for a headache, just ask a soldier. We also tend to get stuck eating "fast food" either at or on the way to a troop due to rule numbers 4 and 3. Nobody wants to stnd next to a Boba with a bad tummy, and remember, you wear a helmet and "heat" rises. lol

TIPS:

1.) Purchase a Camelback, or it's equivalent. Make sure you put ice in it. It can easily be put on under either your flak vest, backplate, or even in your Jet Pack. Simply run the hose under your neck seal and up to your helmet. This way, YOU CAN HYDRATE YOURSELF, anytime, anywhere.

*Another purpose this serves is to help keep your core temperature down by keeping a cooling source in the area behind your lungs and spinal cord.

2.) Stick some extra ice packs in your cooler. Your suit is covered in pouches and most ice packs are the perfect size to make use of those pouches. The flexible gel kind are thin and can be easily tucked into the front of your flack vest or top of your helmet.

3.) Hydrate the night before, without fail, and stay away from carbonated drinks and drink high in sodium the night before or day of. These drinks will work to dehydrate you by making you sweat and urinate, alot.

4.) Always keep a couple of Sprites in your cooler. If you get overheated and start to feel lethargic, drink one.... slowly. Sprite is chock full of electrolites and will work quickly to get you back on an even keel.

5.) The possibly most important tip.... YOU ARE NOT BOBA FETT! If you start to feel overheated, lethargic, or out of sorts.... TELL SOMEONE AND TAKE A BREAK. Make sure someone watches is you until you feel well again, or you may find yourself in the mouth of a different kind of Sarlaac.... minus the escape.

CAN ONE OF THE MODS PLEASE MAKE THIS A STICKY?

Last edited by a moderator:
Living and trooping in Las Vegas Nv. and i can say this is excellent advice, one other thing a cold/wet rag behind the neck helps and is hidden by the neck seal.
Hydrate, Hydrate and Hydrate again, drink even if you aren't thirsty you will sweat it out.

I completely agree with all of this. I recently started trooping this month with the 501st and got to see what its like being in costume for hours at a time in the heat. I've done three events this month, and even the one I had indoors was hard. Fans inside of the helmet I would say are a must. I almost passed out at the Star Wars in Concert because I literally stood in one spot for and hour and a half without a break. Also, keep in mind that as Boba Fett, you are a high profile face character; this means that more than likely you will be standing in one spot posing for pics for long periods of time. Take time to stretch, get good insoles for your shoes, and take breaks. When you need a break, take one, even if you need to brush off slews of people begging for a photo opportunity. Your health is more important than a couple of missed photos!

with my camelpack I'm good for abot 2.5-3 hours in costume so lng as I get 5-10 minutes in the middle to take off my helmet. Without the camelpack all I've got is about an hour maybe an hour and a half tops.

Good tips all.
I'd like to add this one: Be very careful if you troop in a MR Boba Fett helmet for any time approaching an hour plus out in direct sunlight. I did last month here in Georgia and the top of the helmet became too hot to touch with bare hand. I assume the inside padding helped not to scramble my brains. :eek:
Don't know what the MR outer surface consists of but it certainly absorbs and retains heat.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had a sgt fang and now a marrow sun helmet and both of them got super hot on outdoor troops in the summer. It's not just a MR thing, they all can cook your brain if you're out in the sun.

What a bunch of wusses...LOL! Man it's 100 degrees here in AR and my head is so big I cant fit fans in the helmet. I have a troop today at the ballgame for the Arkansas Travlers and there is no shade. It's gonna be fun! These are good ideas.

Never underestimate the power of a good breeze kicking up. It swoops in right under your helmet and feels GREAT! lol

J

As I teach my soldiers in BCT... "Today's dehydration was yesterday's failure to hydrate." Great advice you posted. I know I need to be reminded from time to time about these pit falls as well.

Sean

Good stuff sonik I forget that not everyone gets this beat into their skull....as far as the self preservation part a camelbak would be nice if I could put it in stealthlike it would be nice

A couple of things I've learned about working in the heat:

Know the signs and watch out for them. If you stop sweating it's bad. Lightheadedness or dizziness is bad. If your head feels "fuzzy" or thick it's bad. Find a cool place to sit down and start hydrating.

Staying hydrated on a regular basis is the best thing you can do to prevent heat related illnesses. Drinking alot of water the day of is just going to make you have to pee alot. Keep in mind also that if you have a heat related illness once, your body is going to more susceptible to them for THE REST OF YOUR LIFE!

If you have to stand in one place for a long time, don't lock your knees! Keep a bend to them and adjust as much as necessary. Take breaks.

If somone falls out direct someone to call 911 and move them to a shady spot or inside with some AC. Loosen/remove clothing and give the person small sips of water. Put a cold cloth on the back of their neck.

That's all I can think of at the moment...good post :D

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back