squirk and tk2280's jango helmet progress thead

Mike M.

Well-Known Hunter
Community Staff
TDH PREMIUM MEMBER
so i got these last monday, july 19th. and once again i suck at taking progress pics. but here's the basic run down.

here's the kit fresh out the box, i didn't think it was necessary to take pics of both kits in their raw form.

DSC02111.jpg

here's where i am with both of them as of today, july 27. squirk's helmet is on the right, tk2280's is on the left.

no flash
DSC02146.jpg

with flash
DSC02148.jpg

i've also got the ear caps and rf tops half-way painted. i'm waiting on the paint to dry on the one side so i can flip them over and do the other side. next up is to wet sand with 1000 grit, and attach the rf and caps. and after that it's polishing and weathering. if i can keep up this pace i should be done next week-ish.

Hey, Saintnasty what do you attach the keyholes with? I was planning on just using 5 minute epoxy but since you seem to have this down to a science I figure I might as well ask.

normally i just use CA glue, but it appears i've misplaced that, so i used 5 minute epoxy. hold the slots in place with some painters tape and make sure you cover along the entire edge tight so that whatever type of glue you're using doesn't seep through, then after a couple minutes feel free to peel it off vertically, horizontally pulls the excess glues weird.

cool......I have the day off tomorrow and will be home keeping the kids so I am planning on getting some more work done on mine.

Thanks for the insight

little update, pics to come later. I got the ear caps and rf's painted, mounted, and screwed into place. Haven't got to sandng with the 1000 grit yet, I might be able to get one done tonight, if not it'll be tomorrow and the next day.

@caberot the kit is by asok, and if you're not up to tackling it, as you can see by this and a few other threads I turn them into works of art.

Hey bud...looks sweet, this is my next project after the Boba stuff is done with....what is your process for getting it to where your at what grit sandpaper do u start with...and I dont remember what paint you told me before for the blues....wait till you see my progress with the toothpaste and all the painting of my ROTJ getup...

Fett 4 Real......I know that in one of the other progress threads he goes through the grits but basically it is 220-400-800-1000 and 0000 steel wool followed up with Mequirs metal polish.

The colors are Rustoleum Royal Blue and Krylon Short Cuts Ocean Blue. The Ocean Blue is quite tough to find.

SaintNasty correct me if I spoke out of line here.

your right i went back through his build thread and found where he schooled me on it...said the krylons the small cans...gonna have to work on aquiring it as of now the ROTJ lid is taking up my time...might have it done by tomorrow though would be nice to have the jango lid done by c5 and get it signed

@mullreel you're right on all counts except for the steel wool. after the 1000 grit you're good to polish, just remember to use a mcdonalds napkin to take the polish off with because the little fibers in the napkin also act as a real mild abrasive and, in my opinion, gives a better shine than using a microfiber cloth.

@Fett 4 Real i've found the krylon ocean blue at ace hardware, they always seem to have some in stock.

Again, this is why I don't paint helmets, just make them. His likes like a pro and mine, well let's not go there. :lol:

@mullreel you're right on all counts except for the steel wool. after the 1000 grit you're good to polish, just remember to use a mcdonalds napkin to take the polish off with because the little fibers in the napkin also act as a real mild abrasive and, in my opinion, gives a better shine than using a microfiber cloth.

@Fett 4 Real i've found the krylon ocean blue at ace hardware, they always seem to have some in stock.

Very nice job on the helmets! I am just starting the long journey to a Jango and will be starting a helmet soon. This thread will help a lot. Very nice tip about the McDonald's napkin ;-).

Well I looked at the asok helmet last night...tonight wifes going out and I may tackle it...the ROTJ lid is pretty done minus the right ear cap weathering which will only take a few minutes to a few hours depending on if i done mess it up again...

Did you ever know that you're my hero? Thanks again for this. You are helping me out more then you know.
Looking forward to more pics. That way I can blow them up, print them out and tape it too my head, so I can pretend I have it now :)

ok, small setback today. i got to the 1000 grit point, and there were some spots of the brighter cold cast still showing pretty well. so out came the mouse sander and it's 220 to do spot sanding. this'll only slow me down a day or so, but it's still a pain. but it does show my dedication (read: OCD) to making these helmets as close to perfect as possible.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back