How does the cod piece and rear armor attach to one another?

SPY007

Active Hunter
As these parts are covered by the girth, etc.I have no idea how they connect. Any photos would be helpful.
Thanks

I'm no expert, but the cod piece has on each side aluminum studs, exactly like those on top of the shoulder armor. I suspect these are meant to be the connection points to the butt piece. Personally, I used Velcro for my cod piece. Simple and effective, plus adjustable.

Hope that was helpful. If you're not looking to spend lots of money, spray painted keyboard keys work well for the studs.

They also attach at the bottom via wot we affectionately refer to as "the thong", which is an elastic strap that runs from the bottom of the cod, straight up betwixt the legs to the kidney plate. As far as the sides go..... this is the velcro you were looking for.:)

i've been contemplating the idea of removing the velcro and just letting the bolts hold the parts together. i think i may have a little better mobility by doing that; maybe not, but it's worth a try. also to make sure everything stays up, i have three snaps on my flightsuit that meet up with snaps on the kidney plate so when that's held in place and the cod is bolted/velcroed in place it stays where it's supposed to as well.

I've never worn velcro between my cod and kidney armor. Mine are held together like the original, with the bolts and studs. I keep one side always screwed in and the other I unscrew before putting it on. Also, the thong wraps between the two.

The screw stud method is how the screen armour was attached. I use nylon straps with poppers and sliding adjusters to attach mine.

I took a nylon belt and JB wielded it along the top of my cod with the plastic snap buckle in the rear. I then placed a male snap on each end of the kidney armor close to where the two should connect and to the corresponding position on the belt. I put on the cod first of course and then route the thong you know where and it loops around the buckle in the small of my back. I then snap the kidney armor into place. I didn't do the stud method only because i wanted a snug fit due to all the walking around you will do and the belts seem to cover it up any way. Hope this helps.

Just remember, your girth and ammo belt essentially cover the entire top of the cod, so I wouldnt stress about it too much...

Having BM armour, I am not able to get the cod/kidney piece to meet-up at the sides therefore I have used the same method as JWINNINGTON but back to front. My kidney piece is snapped to a nylon belt with the thong piece looped down from the middle of it, this ten loops through the front of the belt which has those black snap fix connectors. The cod then snaps onto my belt as the last piece. An alternative would be to use clips similar to that of a TK TD-canistor, in that way both the kidney and cod would simply slide and clip onto the belt.

Last edited by a moderator:
My armor was designed to butt up to each other front and back, so I can't really use the accurate method. I have velcro strips connecting them on the inside with the aluminum studs glued on the codpiece for decorative effect.

The union of the 2 is largely covered by the girth belt, so it doesn't matter as much as some of the other attachement quandaries that come up.

Considering the need for "bathroom break access" which mounting method do you guys suggest for the codpiece? Should the rear plate be mounted onto the flight suit? The codpiece could then overlap the rear plate at the sides and attached to it with velco or snaps and the groin strap then attached to the inside of the codpeice at the "point". My thought is when access is needed, the sides of the cod peice are detached, the front of the groin strap is detached & the entire codpiece removed. The rear plate is still in place making reattching easier. Any details on this function would be greatly appreciated. Also, Am i correct in thinking the strap is to keep the codpeice from lifting away? Thanks Guys!

I've always used velcro to connect mine together. I know the bolt method is screen accurate but that area is covered up by the girthbelt and saddlebags anyway, so you'd never see the bolts on that section of my own suit anyway.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back