ESB Paint-Up Test: Advice Welcomed!

BobaFiend

Active Hunter
I had some old shoulder bells that were distorted and useless so I decided to use them to test out my rattlecan paints. I'm really glad I started on scrap because they ended up pretty much sucking but here's what I learned:

-My yellow didn't really have to be as subdued as I made it, the original color looks better without green/ black misting.
-Doing laser scorch marks with black spraypaint is really difficult cause the spray nozzle is huge
-Black mixes with wet yellow to make gross green :(
-I didn't need hunter green, it made my green bell really really dark

Any advice on how to make my real paint-ups better would be much apperciated! My real bells have actual dents so it will be much more convincing... phpNVG83SPM.jpgphp5EOOPgPM.jpgphpbCKfFPPM.jpg

IMG_0204.JPG

IMG_0202.JPG

More specifically, can anyone tell me how to do blaster scorch marks without an airbrush and make them fade properly? Or point me toward a good tutorial?

Paintup looks good.
Blaster scorching can be done with drybrush technique and some acrylics.
Ive actually used burned out rocket engine soot and leftover firework soot for effect.

Pastels mates:lol: Just draw on where you want the marks to be and heavily apply the pastel, you can then use a wet cloth to smear it out and blend it to make scorch marks. Good thing is that if you mess up you can just wipe it off :D Ive been using it on my soft parts of my fett aswell, works a treat.

Try shooting the spay over the part instead of at it. Hold the part near the spray head with the nozzle pointed in the direction you want the scorch to. Start the spray with it shooting up and not hitting the part, then slowly move the can till you just get a long narrow mist going across your part. Does that make sense? It has worked very well for me. Practice on some cardboard.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back