Any Animators out there?

Alpha 02

Active Hunter
Anyone reading this thread, hopefully you're an animator. If not maybe you can still help. My actual name is Levi, been on this forum for some time now... and i was hoping i could seek a little help.

I have always been one to look to the future, and with this situation it will probably prove worthy. Anyways, what im getting to is during the past couple years ive been looking to use my creative ability and get into animation for my after high school plans. (itll probably help if i mention im going into grade 11 in September)

I have done my research and found a school, i was just hoping there would be a few animators on this forum that could give me some advice.

Whether there is or not, the future will prove, i thank you for reading this :)

I got an MFA in animation at a big film school. There are a few ways to go. Depends on where you want to end up. Do you want to end up in computer games or film? At Nickelodeon, some web content company, or Pixar? Do you want to make your own films or make a name as an FX artist? Or do you want to be a pure animator in the sense that your specialty is bringing weight, timing and emotion to a character? Then there are two types of schools. Schools that have strong technical programs or schools that are stronger for an artistic/filmmaking education. Gnomon is a good technical program. Places like CalArts or Sheridan are for an artist/filmmaker well-rounded experience. Either type you choose needs to be well connected to the industry you want to be a part of. See what type of internships are available, if you can get your foot in the door with a company you want to work at while you are still in school. Basically, most undergrad animation programs at a film school would be a waste of money, unless you plan to go on to grad school. Go to a technical school for undergrad if you just want to get in the workforce as quick as possible. And while there you will want to find a specialty that makes you stand out. Want to work at ILM? Be the very best at one thing. Choose one specialization and dedicate yourself to it.... character animation, lighting, FX animation, etc. (Hint: everyone is trying to break into character animation, and those are the fewest jobs. Tough to crack at the best places. You will have to work at that webisode company doing flash characters for a long time unless you are lucky). If you choose the more well rounded route, hold out for grad school and then make sure you come out with a really good student film to get you on the map, or at least made good pals with someone else who did (like hanging out with Shane Ackerman while at UCLA for instance). The grad film school route will likely give you broader and deeper industry contacts over the course of your professional life, but require a greater investment of time and money. And there is always the chance that after that investment, you might not be as well off as someone who did a tech school while much younger and racked up more experience in the trenches over the same period. It's a calculated risk based on what you feel yourself capable of. But you are still young yet and you are way ahead of the game even thinking about this now, but obviously the sooner you figure out your path, the better your chances of success. Good luck.

Thank you so much Lufo! i cant even explain my appreciation. By plan is film and be dream is ILM. Just two days ago i the school im looking at in vancouver, Vancouver Film School. Its definatly a more artistic school which is good for me. And i found out everything i need to know about prerequisites and different animation and media classes i could take before school. theyre sending me a dvd and im now it feels so good to actually be working towards it. But thanks for all the advice, greatly appreciated!!

The Vancouver Film School is an extremely reputable school. There are hundreds of animation shorts online from their students that are all great quality. I am sure you can find them on youtube. I've been in the animation (and 3d modeling) schooling for over 3 years now. I love it, I honestly do. I am going in with a focus in gaming. Honestly, the industry is tough right now... work hard and be the best at whatever you choose to be. I am considering taking a busniess major and doing 3d modeling contracting on the side. :)

El1te

Here is my brother's email address:

colbydlong@gmail.com

His name is Colby and he graduated from San Francisco Academy of the Arts a couple years ago and now he is working in Sweden. He's a great guy and he'd love to talk to you. Tell him Travis (his older bro) referred you.

Hey Levi,

VFS is a well known, well respected school. Are you paying for it yourself? I've seen a lot of kids graduate from some of these schools with pretty big loan payments that they need to make. Starting salaries for an Associate Animator can be pretty low and your first few years can be a little challenging financially if you've got big loan payments to make.

One thing to keep in mind: having a degree does not guarantee you a job. Having a killer demo reel is what gets you hired.. If someone doesn't have an innate talent for animating then it doesn't matter what school they graduate from. Unfortunately, there are tons of schools out there dangling the promise of a lucrative career in the game industry when all they really care about is your money. I've looked at hundreds of demo reels over the years and I can tell you the bad ones outnumber the good ones by a frighteningly high percentage.

For what it's worth, some of the best animators I've ever hired were self taught. If you've got talent, then it's really just a matter of learning the software and understanding and applying the key fundamentals of animation. There are plenty of great books out there. Going that route takes dedication - you have to be focused and self-driven - but it can also be the most rewarding.

Good luck on whatever you choose to do!

HH

thank you everyone! Im so motivated by your comments and help, i really appreciate it! And hearing from someone who is hiring for the job i want to have is very helpful! Thanks all!

I appreciate everyones helpful comments but i have another question for you guys. How important is high school physics in taking animation? thanks

I've just been admitted to St Fransic University in Ft Wayne, IN. under their computer arts/animation. In the end I want to do CGI, blasters lightsabers, but I'd also love to get into the Avatar type CGI. Apparently there are professors there with some direct lines to ILM, and have had a good number of students get into that. Her'es hoping I can be one of them.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back