My motorized rangefinder - VIDEO

Dude, you have GOT to post info on this!! Parts list, schematic, instructions, whatever! HURRY. I might use this option for Halloween.

That's an awesome job! Can you control the rate of the up/down motion?

What kind of bucket is that?

Hey Jango_Fett_Jr,
I remember you asking questions in my thread and you said you had gotten a servo etc etc. Did you make that with my zip zap tutorial by chance?

krillindb wrote:

Hey Jango_Fett_Jr,
I remember you asking questions in my thread and you said you had gotten a servo etc etc. Did you make that with my zip zap tutorial by chance?

Hey krillindb. Although I was quite inspired by your tutorial, this is actually my own creation, with some help from my friend ;)

I'll post some photos soon!

Awesome video and looks terrific!!! That's the speed I like for the RF.

PLEASE!!!...post pics and tutorials here...I need to do the same on my helmet soon!

Robert

Here's the only pic I have at the moment with my attempt at a diagram:

jfj_rfdiagram.jpg

The blue dots are screws that go from the outside of the helmet through to the inside. I will cover the heads of the screws with bondo eventually.

The servo I have covered with a piece of foam just to make it more comfortable for me. I made a small aluminum arm which has a small strip of sintra attached to it. This sintra is screwed into the rangefinder stalk. The sintra also has a weak spring attached to another screw just to give it a little help coming back up (the servo isn't too too strong).

I apologize if not all of this makes too much sense right now, but the helmet is still at my friend's workshop so I will take some more detailed photos soon.

This project was more of a personal job just because I wanted to have a motorized rangefinder, but not have to spend too much on a super small servo so the helmet could still fit my head. This took me a while to do, I had to go through about six other designs before coming up with this one, and even then it took a while to get it working. The angles and positions of all the screws and such are just right so it works. I will try my best to describe this in a simple way.

Thanks again for the compliments!

The servo I used I do not quite know what kind it was. It appeared to be a regular generic sized servo. I didn't want anything too big, but it was too big to put in my helmet next to my ear, hence why I moved it to the cheek area.

The LEDs I used are just 2 red blinking LEDs connected directly to a battery. I wasn't too concerned with the sequence of them, I just wanted them to blink.

This thread is more than 20 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back