Kitchen renovation. . . done!

superjedi

Sr Hunter
Hi TDHers,
I mentioned in a couple of other threads several months ago that we were getting ready for a kitchen renovation. It took a bit longer than we anticipated (doesn't everything?) but it's finally done! Not a perfect job by any means, but this is the most complex DIY project I've ever attempted and I have to say I'm pretty pleased with the way it came out.
smile.gif

Our home was built in 1964 and as far as we could tell the kitchen was original to the house. Typical 1960's style decor; harvest yellow linoleum flooring, turquoise (very faded) paint on the walls, built-in cabinets which went to the ceiling, and white "flecked" laminate counters complete with metal trim! I always expected to see Alice in there making 6 school lunches. Here's the before.

IMG_0683.jpg

oldkitchen2.jpg

There wasn't anything wrong structurally, but we really wanted to update the look. We began by deciding on a mainly neutral color scheme. We knew we wanted dark flooring with light cabinets, and as we went along in the design phase, we decided to do wallpaper, too. After tearing out all the old cabinetry and scraping up the old linoleum floor (ripping stuff up is fun!) I prepped the walls by removing an old chair rail, as well as all the door and window trim, then washed and sanded the walls well. We chose a sort of distressed plaster look. The pics don't show it well, but the wallpaper has a nice pearl sheen in certain lighting.

IMG_2576.jpg

Here are a couple of shots of different sections after all the old stuff was torn out.

IMG_2559.jpg

IMG_2558.jpg

IMG_2560.jpg

The cabinets we chose were from "Diamond Select" sold through Lowe's. They're finished in Amaretto Creme with a Mocha glaze. Very nice off-white cabinets with just a subtle glaze to highlight the shapes. Nothing too over the top. I began with the wall cabinets. I screwed a 1 x 4 to the wall to keep everything level during the installation.

IMG_2578.jpg

Once the wall cabinets were up, I put the bases in place.

IMG_2582.jpg

I hadn't laid the flooring yet. We decided to go with a laminate floor tile with a slate look. I didn't want to trap the flooring under the cabinets, so I shimmed the base cabs up to what would be the new floor level.
The next shot shows the new flooring, along with some of the toe kick installed. The new Whirlpool range is in place along with a thin black backsplash, too.

IMG_2659.jpg

The cabinet package we ordered came with some small crown molding. I've never done crown before, so I read up on cutting the angles almost obsessively :D and managed to get it right without running out of material!
This pic also shows the valance above the window.

IMG_2673.jpg

Being a total noob to crown molding, I debated this next step for a day or so. I wanted the crown at the left end of the cabinets to come out and lay flush against this part of the wall. I managed to figure out the cuts and I think it came out looking pretty nice.

IMG_2667.jpg

The countertops were the only part I didn't install myself. We ordered some laminate counters with a beveled edge in "Honed Slate" and had a pro come in to install them. He did a terrific job.

IMG_2773.jpg

Everything is nice and straight and level, and part of the package included installing our new sink and disposal. The sink is a dark granite composite (composition?) by Swanstone, and I paired it up with a matte black faucet set from Moen. Simple and modern looking.

IMG_2780.jpg

He made a nice cut to fit this smaller section in where the wall juts out.

IMG_2775.jpg

The final purchase was a new dishwasher. We decided to go with all black appliances to set off the neutral shades. We discussed stainless, but in the end we just preferred black. So here's the whole shebang.

IMG_2842.jpg

I know I've left out several details, like the lighting, the crown around the ceiling, etc. But I wanted to hit the high points.
Just for fun, here's the before and after, side by side.

OldNewFinal.jpg

Sorry for being pic-heavy, but I'm rather proud of the way this turned out. (y) Thanks for looking!
Eric

Thanks, guys. :) It's very rewarding to look at a project like this after it's done and know that you did (almost) all of it yourself.
For the ones asking me to come to their houses. . . sure! I'll only charge $1 million per hour, plus travel. :lol:

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back