Good Armor quality, friendly budget : /

DandoVor

New Hunter
Hello Dented Helmet users!

I am a 17 year old preparing to make his first suit in hopes of joining the Mandalorian Mercs this year (when I'm of age)

I have read many threads and know how to make my armor but here's some questions I'd like the pros to answer

I'm trying to decide between two concepts to make my armor. which is more durable/realistic and friendly on a limited budget (I know old story)

Plastic: trash cans, barrels, PVC

Cardboard: Resin, OR Fiberglass and Resin

Or that Sintra stuff? (how cheap is it and how "SAFE" my mom has dogs and I don't want anything that will poisan them if it drips or something)

and The Helmet...I have the Wizard templates but I just need to know "step-by-step" pictures and instructions

Working on a sketch so bear with me I do have a prototype though
(made on the Mandomaker at Mandalorianmercs.com)

ALSO
Jetpack? how hard, easy, cheap. and thoughts on Mandos with packs (I'll probably throw out more on it after I get everything else

I accept your knowledge please help

(yes he is force sensitive, I've been developing the character for THREE YEARS so please be nice :D)

:cheers

~Dando Vor

Dando Vor schemetic (prototype).jpg

Plastic: trash cans, barrels, PVC
Obvious bonus to doing it in "found" plastics is that you can find them cheaply in alot of places. The general method, is get the templates, cut the plastic, bend/shape the plastic, paint and attach.
Bonuses: easy to find material thats cheap.
Drawbacks: Cutting thick PVC is hard soemtimes and leave ALOT of discarded material as dust.

Cardboard: Resin, OR Fiberglass and Resin
Download patterns, cut out, resin, fill, resin again, fiberglass if needed/wanted.
Bonuses: Semi accurate dimensions and quick correction of the prototype is incorrect. Easy to start a construct with paper then reinforce. Strong armor.
Drawbacks: REsins and Fiberglass need extra care to mix them properly and ventilation, dealing with these chemicals is always a safety concern. You wqill also need some skill with body filler and the like to pull this off.

Or that Sintra stuff? (how cheap is it and how "SAFE" my mom has dogs and I don't want anything that will poisan them if it drips or something)
This is the same as the found plastics category and is also known as foamex, or foamed PVC. USPLASTICS has it to order.
Bonus: Easy to cut and shape/manipulate.
Drawback: same drawbacks as the plastics.

and The Helmet...I have the Wizard templates but I just need to know "step-by-step" pictures and instructions
http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/showthread.php/24821-AntMan-s-Second-Cardboard-Scratch-Build

Jetpack? how hard, easy, cheap. and thoughts on Mandos with packs (I'll probably throw out more on it after I get everything else
http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/show...ack-(upd-13-may-2010)?highlight=jetpack+build

There are quite a few folks on the forums here who cast buckets, fettpride is someone who has a quality peice and good reputation, but there are others just as good. I also can cast a basic bucket (dented, atm) but it takes me a week to do it, some might already have inventory ready to move, hit up the cargohold.

Alternatively Skip has a paper model over at: http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/showthread.php/26946-New-Helmet-Templates-WIP.?highlight=pepakura

Now if you mean buy what do i suggest you make the helmet out of, if you are still going with WoF templates, the link to the helmet build in my last post is a great start, and thats using cardboard.

First things first,

When you want a helmet you must work out what sized head you are, as you have said you want to become a Merc, it would best to come at this from the Merc's point of view.

Firstly, check the CRLs Here. They will show you the rules based around becoming a Mercs member.

Then check out A'den Skirata's helmet sizing tutorial in the Mando tutorial thread

Just to highlight with a helmet, the standard size is known as 1:1, however, this is a pretty big helmet and you need to be of a certain size or you end up looking like a Bobblehead, conversely a helmet too small will make you look like a tic-tac head, both of which will be rejected by the admissions team at the mercs.

Your price depends on quality, if you are stuck on a budget then a Jango 2 piece that has been worked to make it look sealed tends to be accepted, however, you can get resin cast, Fiberglass and cold cast buckets. They go up in quality and sturdyness, but also in price.

Oh and the Mercs don't accept Jedi Mandos, so you may want to give that idea a rethink.

I saw no questions from the OP regarding the Merc's standards, it seemed he just wanted help on a build.

While he didn't specifically ask, he did say:

I am a 17 year old preparing to make his first suit in hopes of joining the Mandalorian Mercs this year (when I'm of age)

So it would seem that if what he is doing runs counter to the goal of joining there, he should know sooner rather than later.

Force sensative mandos are OK, but you need to be aware that we don't allow full-bladed lightsabers with costumes. You MAY use a hilt on your belt as a tool, but that is the extent to which lightsabers are allowed in Mercs. The only costumes allowed with a bladed lightsaber of any kind is Pre Vizsla and his darksaber , Bardan Jusik from the LoTF books, or Venku Skirata from the LoTF books.

@ Novall Talon
Ok that's what I under the impression as well so I'm good there (that's what I was going with)

I'm on a farm and we've got some big plastic barrels I think will work nicely for the body armor, legs, and shoulder peices, because they are pretty much shaped and kinda scratched, I'll still be weathering them and tearing them up as well. (any ideas how to weather for a gaffi stick attack? my character got into a fight with a big time Tusken chieftan and came out on top and carries the cheiftan's gaffi with him but I wanted some "scars" on the armor with the victory I've got a friend in a costume shop who might fix me up with some latex skin damage XD)

Still working on the skech I tried doing a different abdomenal armor plating (going from one to four kinda "Batman" style but I scrapped it) the mistake was I colored with markers and totally uber failed in making four one again.

the sketches will come soon!

Still

Whew! officially started!

I cut out some Cardboard Templates and amazingly got some AWESOME!!! cut outs on the first try! I have the everything cut out from the waist up! (excluding the helmet and back piece) gonna take awhile to get the rest done because I am going to Europe for two weeks, I will get pics of my first Templates ASAP

Sorry to change this from a question to a WIP :)

ok I'm back but my computer is having issues (full memory issues) so it's going to be a little while before pics, but I did have a brainstorm about throwing knives! XD (will post more info soon I promise) :s

No mate, it is against the Mercs CRLs.

That doesn't mean you can't use it, just make sure it can't be instantly recognisable as a HALO gun, same goes with any NERF type gun as well.

A good example of what I mean is Solus Keer's Nerf gun:

Flag008.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
OK Got it thanks ner'vod! I shall get to work!

btw here's the plot!

Phase I: make cardboard templates and size them accordingly in accounts of armor and homemade melee weapons

Phase II: cut out plastic armor and weapons and wear them

Phase III: paint, decal, weather, armor and weapons, add the cape and kama

Phase IV: will be fully completed and approval pics will be sent :D

as of now I am 80% through Phase I
(Pics sometime this week)

Just remember, your plates will fit to your vest, and if you are using a material like pleather or leather, it "muffles" the shape of your body. The vest is the most important part of the Mando in my opinion, so get your plates cut, get your vest sorted then bend your plates to you in your vest.

alright thanks for that info!

(I was planning on going with a vest making tutorial without sewing that I found on the Mando mercs site)

I have some material I don't think it's leather so I'm going to say it's fake leather or "Pleather"

ok any tips on boot spats? (I think I'm going to make some just to be on the safe side)

OH boot tips are welcome as well (I think I'm going to make some rocket boots)

PS
ok I started a video journal and it won't upload to YouTube :(

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back