My Life-sized Han Solo in Carbonite Project - 2nd Attempt

can you explain your process for acrylic wash?

I hit the high points on mine w/Rub n Buff, but I'd love to add a little more depth to it.

I bought one of those small bottles of acrylic black paint, the kind you see at Wal-Mart in the craft section or at Micheal's or JoAnn's. I mixed the paint, roughly 1 part paint to 10 parts or so of water and brushed it over the top. I worked in small sections at a time, wiping/blotting the high areas and letting the paint dry in the creases. I did this two or three times in some areas. In some low spots I painted, then did a light blot, and let it dry. I can't take credit for the idea, D. Nyguen passed that on and I thought I would try it.

I did the same thing on my Boba Fett armor and jet pack a few years ago, but never thought about trying on this.

Last edited by a moderator:
I finally finished the front panel. Put a triple coat of gloss on top and called it done. It was a painstaking process of trying to find the right colors to get the contrast I was looking for, but I have to say I couldn't be happier with how it turned out. I beat myself up over the colors, back and forth, but this is pretty much exactly what I hoped for.

HPIM5828-600x450.jpg

HPIM5831-600x450.jpg

HPIM5832-600x450.jpg

The high gloss gray looks good on the cabinet. Pictures really don't do it justice, other than a few blemishes, it looks terrific in person.

I started mounting the panels today. I wanted a way to mount these that wasn't permanent, that way I can take them off if I decide to move it or sell it. I used 1/2" x 3" bolts secured to the back of the panels with 5 minute epoxy putty, stuff is great, hard as a rock. I drilled holes for the bolts into the cabinet and secured them with a fender washer and nut. I also drilled a small hole to feed the wires through.

I added video of the main panel as well so you can see how it looks on the cabinet. I am very pleased with the contrast between the cabinet, side panels, and HIC front panel.

HPIM5839-600x450.jpg

HPIM5837-600x450.jpg

HPIM5838-600x450.jpg

Here is the video:

hicpanel2

You continue to excel with this. This is nicer than the two I have built up. It truely shows why the hic han pieces are such a great way to go versus the full top piece.

They are easier to use and more versitileIMHO.

Great job. I personally feel the original was the same color all over, just a different matte. Which can be done by using different undercoats, but i would wager this looks amazing in person.

You continue to excel with this. This is nicer than the two I have built up. It truely shows why the hic han pieces are such a great way to go versus the full top piece.

They are easier to use and more versitileIMHO.

Great job. I personally feel the original was the same color all over, just a different matte. Which can be done by using different undercoats, but i would wager this looks amazing in person.

Thanks guys! And thanks to you Stormrider, it's hard to take credit for a project like this when guys like you and Vash created the two hardest pieces, the Han front cast and side panels. And I do agree, it was most likely one color. What got me going on this was a pictures I saw some time ago of a guy's home theater. He had a HIC and it was painted similar to this. I had never seen a paint scheme like that before on a HIC and thought it looked great. I know it's not how it looks in the movie, but I like this look better!

Very nice work, but where did you find the parts for the four panels on the side? Did you make them? I've never seen them around on the fourms for sell.

Static

Got a couple things done today, first, I went to the dark side and got an iPhone 4. Walked into an AT&T store and they had 2 left. I took some video with it. I'll give it 30 days, if I don't like it, back to Verizon.

I was able to mount all the panels and wire all the LEDs, looks sort of like Christmas, but all those lights give the illusion something is working in there.

I just need to give this a good wipe down, then add the panel greeblies and I'm done. I brought it inside the house where it is a little cooler.

Here are a few pics and the video. Sorry about the video quality, still trying to work this thing.

HPIM5858-450x600.jpg

HPIM5859-450x600.jpg

HPIM5864-450x600.jpg

HPIM5861-450x600.jpg

HPIM5860-450x600.jpg

When watching the video, click the "pop out" button below the video for a larger view.

YouTube - 002.MOV

AWESOME...just AWESOME. That is by far the BEST HIC I have ever seen. Amazing job brother...

Thanks brother, I really appreciate the comments. You should do a search of some of the other builds, they really blow mine away. I am very happy with this, only a few hiccups, but I love the way it turned out. When I start my 3rd, I'll have it down exact!

This thing is just amazing. What was your total build price if you dont mind me asking?

Here's a break down as best I can remember:

HIC Front Panel Pieces - $225.00
Side Panels - $250.00
Side Panel Greeblies - $20.00
Wood, screws, glue, wood filler - $80.00
Wood Sealer - $7.00
Side Panel Handles - $9.00
Primer and Spray Paint - $35.00
LEDs - $20.00
LED Switch - $3.00
Cabinet Top and Bottom Details - $10.00

So carry the 3, add 2, divide by 6, multiply by the sqaure root of pi...........(mumbling to myself, working, working).............. about $100.00.

Seriously, about $659.00 in actual materials, give or take a few. I saved a little on wood by picking up some of the scrap pieces they had at Lowe's and Home Depot. Wal-Mart also has Krylon on sale right now, I think it's under $3.00 a can.

I may just try this one more time down the road.

I make the HIC parts, but the mold is down for the count, im working on a new one.

The project turned out great, congrats!

Im likely going to do one soon for giggles. as I dont like the box shape of the original, but mines going to be an ultra lite version:) I doubt ill put the love into it you did though.

Thanks for documenting it!

Thanks, and good luck with that, I thought about making a really light version, out of styrene and very lightweight wood. Be sure to post some pics. Hope you get your mold back up, I'll be in the market again for Han pieces down the road!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back