WIP: Scratchbuilt Jetpack!

Wow, I think everyone covered every single emotional way to describe looking at it. That's a nice work of art you made and the price to make it is hard to believe hah. Very Nice.(y)

great to see it finished, foamex and pvc is the way to go, especially for in the tropics, as my card board one has been a struggle, shame i gave up on mine and bought a MOW, but still might give it a go, love the work!;)

Here's another pic on the mannequin. I've added a little more weathering to the thrusters. I'll probably add a little more to some areas like the rocket as well.

IMG_3125.jpg

Thanks for the encouragement everyone!

any chance you can give a little more of a breakdown how you made the hooks? there seems to be a major shortage of those on the board. your jetpack is amazing

any chance you can give a little more of a breakdown how you made the hooks? there seems to be a major shortage of those on the board. your jetpack is amazing

Absolutely. I made the hooks from the "feet" of a metal paint tray. You could use any similar pieces of metal found in a hardware store. I just ripped them off the bottom of the tray and bent them in a vice. Then I drilled the holes for the screws, and sanded and polished. They're not perfect but they work.

Great job, Matt! One quick question: I noticed you attached the pieces for the "flare" just above the piano keys separately - is there a reason you didn't include that bit on the top deck of the pack body? Obviously more pieces of the same shape were needed below it to give the desired thickness, but I'm starting a scratchbuild myself and figure it could make my life a little less "interesting" to use a one-piece top deck as a support.
Thanks!

PS: a picture to highlight the bits I'm talking about...
MMjetpack008a.jpg

If you can do that in one piece it would be better. Then you won't have a seem to hide on the top. If I remember correctly, when I cut that piece out it didn't quite fit so I just cut it in half. When building stuff like this you have to make a lot of changes on the fly. Good luck on your build and be sure to post lots of pics.

Awesome, thanks. Starting to cut pieces out for the body now, and ran into another question. What's the deal with this "margin" piece around the grate on the bottom of the pack? Does the recess taper in toward the grate (that would be a major pain), or is it another detail piece? I can't find any pieces in the template file that would correspond there except the bottom plate itself.

The bit I'm referring to:
grate section.jpg

Thanks again!

Matt, I have to say that your jp is phenomenal. There are many people on this forum that would throw money at you to make them one(me included). Since my chest armor isn't coming until next year, I might give this a whirl, but I know that it will probably suck and I'll end up buying one completed. (how much would you want for it lol?)

Awesome, thanks. Starting to cut pieces out for the body now, and ran into another question. What's the deal with this "margin" piece around the grate on the bottom of the pack? Does the recess taper in toward the grate (that would be a major pain), or is it another detail piece? I can't find any pieces in the template file that would correspond there except the bottom plate itself.

The bit I'm referring to:
View attachment 63495

Thanks again!

I think that is just illustrating the wall of the recess, like is seen in this reference photo.
Boba-Fett-Return-of-the-Jedi-Jetpack-10.jpg

Bump for recent pics since there's been some scratchbuilt jetpack interest lately. I would like to replace the resin beacon and stabilizer at some point. I also used the 15" templates to make this, so anyone thinking about making one might want to size up a little because I think it's a little small overall.

IMG_3868_zps645a330d.jpg

IMG_3869_zpsc9be609c.jpg

IMG_3873_zps710479c4.jpg

IMG_3874_zps39234633.jpg

IMG_3875_zps0671c933.jpg

IMG_3876_zps02b102a4.jpg

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back