Ideas on dying flame retardant material

ronnyjodes

Jr Hunter
I'm in the planning stages of putting a Greedo outfit together and one of the first things i'm thinking of tackling are the coveralls. I've found a go-kart style racing suit that would be ideal-it has the right collar and everything but they only come in white. Has anybody tried dying flame retardant materials and with what level of success? I'm just worried that any coating the material has been given will stop the dye going in properly. Any ideas are most welcome!:)

Im seriously stuck with this! Come on guys, any help or advice would be much appreciated and i'm sure I cant be the only person who's thought about dying a go-kart racing suit :)

That's the problem, i've not actually bought the suit yet so i've no idea what the material is. I'm just trying to do as much research as possible and get some ideas off anybody else who's tried and succeeded/failed before i part with my hard earned cash :)

You should be able to dye it without any problems. I am a full time firefighter and most of your flame retardant fabrics are some type of nomex blend and should take and hold color well. Some of the guys on my department even have tie dyed nomex hoods that they bought from the company. Hope this helps you out.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back