Resculpting my Fett armor

Alright [sigh] backplate round 2...Here we go.
I really wasn't that happy with my freshman attempt at sculpting the backplate so I decided to give it another go. I won't get into the details of how I sculpted it so I'll just start off with the raw pull and go from there.
MyFett114.gif

MyFett115.gif

MyFett118.gif

MyFett131.gif

I'm really pleased with this new sculpt, however, the shoulders needed to be formed just a bit in order to fit better ..no biggie though ;)
MyFett127.gif

Before I did that, I decided to finish trim the edges and cut out the JP slots and then sand it for priming
MyFett143.gif

MyFett142.gif

MyFett141.gif

60 grit sandpaper for the edges to smooth them out...it needs it as these are pulled out of 1/8" inch so they're pretty tough
MyFett144.gif

MyFett145.gif

MyFett146.gif

After that I hit the surface with some 180 to prep it for primer
MyFett147.gif

MyFett148.gif

MyFett150.gif

Next I cut out the JP slots with the cutting wheel and then drilling holes in the corners...then finished it up with the file
MyFett151.gif

MyFett152.gif

MyFett153.gif

MyFett154.gif

After that I was ready to form the shoulders. Threw it in the clamp and hit it with the heat gun
MyFett156.gif

MyFett155.gif

One side done...still needed to knock out the other one
MyFett157.gif

MyFett158.gif

MyFett170.gif

Test fit...looked pretty good.
MyFett159.gif

After that I threw it on the mannequin with the flak vest and lined it up
MyFett163.gif

These had to be trimmed to line up better ...I didn't take any after shots till after I painted it, but here's what it looked like before. This will get corrected later
MyFett166.gif

Once I got it fitted the way I wanted it, I was ready for paint. First thing, hit it with the compressor and get all the dust off as well as a quick wipe down.
MyFett167.gif

These are the two primers I like to use. The one on the left works really well, but it's nasty when it's in the air. Definitely gotta use a respirator with it. For this build, however, I'll be using the cheaper stuff on the right. It also works very well.
MyFett168.gif

Here it is all primed up, but it obviously needs to be sanded again
MyFett172.gif

MyFett175.gif

I hit that with some 320 to get it nice and smooth and to help prevent any orange peel down the road.
MyFett177.gif

MyFett178.gif

Nice and smooth
MyFett179.gif

Dry wipe it down and air it off again and hit it with some metallic aluminum
MyFett181.gif

MyFett182.gif

MyFett185.gif

I didn't need to sand it after this layer so I just hit it with some matte sealer to dull it down and seal in the silver. There are two different types of sealer I used on this, Rusto matte clear and Testors dull coate. Both worked very well, but the testor's is much more expensive.
MyFett186.gif

After that I did my pencil markings for the paint chipping and then went to town with the masking fluid
MyFett188.gif

MyFett189.gif

I like to use toothpicks for application of this stuff. They're a dime a thousand and the small tips allow for great detail work
MyFett190.gif

MyFett191.gif

MyFett192.gif

MyFett193.gif

Then it was time for some Bauhaus Gold
MyFett194.gif

MyFett195.gif

hit it with 320 again, wipe it down, air it off and hit with some matte sealer. Trace your yellow paint chip markings, and mask them all off just like before
MyFett197.gif

MyFett203.gif

MyFett205.gif

MyFett206.gif

MyFett207.gif

MyFett204.gif

After that it was time to start the green process. I first hit it with a base coat of some leftover Tamiya DK green AS-21
MyFett208.gif

MyFett209.gif

MyFett212.gif

Looks pretty ****** doesn't it?? Fear not true believer for this is only the beginning..read on :)
Since I decided I was going to be airbrushing with the testors model master medium green (34102) I was going to need a base coat of green so I wouldn't have so much surface area to cover. I used the stuff in the bottle because it came out a much more accurate green than the medium green of the same brand in the can (I don't know why, don't ask me lol). So, mixing it with some thinner, I was able to get the proper consistency for the airbrush and covered the rest of the back with this little bottle.
MyFett213.gif

MyFett214.gif

MyFett215.gif

Afte that I hit it lightly with some 600, just enough to smooth out any possible bumps. After that wipe it down and air it off again
MyFett216.gif

This part was crucial to get just that right shade of green. The medium green (IMO) was just too olivey for my taste but had ALMOST the right color. I decided to try this color of Tamiya's AS-17 green and lightly mist it over the medium green and... voila!
MyFett217.gif

MyFett221.gif

Next up I decided to shift gears real quick and install the bolts for the collar studs
MyFett218.gif

MyFett220.gif

And a quick overall look of the green
MyFett221.gif

MyFett222.gif

Now that the painting was all done, it was time for the tedious task of removing all the masking fluid. When doing a two part masking process, I discovered it was a lot easier to work from the outside in when removing the masking fluid. I first removed the yellow parts and then the silver. I used a sharp exacto but I imagine a pair of tweezers would work very well too
MyFett223.gif

MyFett224.gif

MyFett227.gif

MyFett225.gif

MyFett226.gif

At this point I realized that I forgot to add the dent on the upper right shoulder blade...but ahhh screw it, too late now lol. I did do some research and actually found a picture of it without a dent though (or at least it looks that way to me in the picture). I just looked for it to justify my screwup :p
AoSW_2002-08-19_Fett_057.gif

14.gif

15.gif

The last part of this process was the weathering. There are several different methods with which to approach this and I'll only be touching on a few more relevant ones for that look which I'm trying to achieve. There are also other methods I didn't employ involving dirty/black washes, dry brushing, etc. which are also very effective and make for a great weathered look. Obviously I can't cover them all and I'm sure there are tons out there that I don't even know about or ones that you yourself have discovered. However, there are 2 major rules that you need to bear in mind when weathering:
1.) Weathering is RANDOM
2.) Yes, it is possible to overdo it...keep it subtle. Less is sometimes more when it comes to weathering.
Keeping that in mind, let's move on ;)

The first thing I started out with was scratching. There's a ton of different ways to do it. Here's what I used:
Slicing motion
MyFett236.gif

Scraping motion
MyFett235.gif

MyFett234.gif

Scouring pad
MyFett237.gif

Sandpaper...different grits
MyFett238.gif

MyFett239.gif

MyFett240.gif

MyFett241.gif

After I was satisfied with all that, I got out my pastels and scraped me up some powders
MyFett232.gif

MyFett243.gif

Before going to town with those, I made some marks with the sticks themselves
MyFett244.gif

MyFett245.gif

MyFett246.gif

MyFett247.gif

You can utilize different methods of smearing the pastels. Everything from paper towels and tissues to just using your finger
MyFett248.gif

I also used a colored pencil for a few areas
MyFett251.gif

MyFett250.gif

Next up was the pastel powder process. I just used a simple brush for application
MyFett252.gif

MyFett253.gif

MyFett254.gif

MyFett255.gif

Also, don't be afraid to mix your colors or have your weathering bleed into one another. More of that makes more randomness which translates into more believability as real weathering
MyFett257.gif

MyFett258.gif

MyFett259.gif

MyFett260.gif

MyFett261.gif

MyFett262.gif

After that, I misted the entire back plate very lightly with el cheapo black spray paint from Wmart
MyFett263.gif

Up next was some good old fashioned one on one with the airbrush
MyFett264.gif

MyFett265.gif

Slapping/tapping the airbrush lever will give this splatter effect, which is what I was after
MyFett269.gif

MyFett270.gif

MyFett268.gif

MyFett267.gif

Man, you are so fast that is hard to follow your thread. Your overall job is amazing, easy to understand, easy to apply... by eye. Keep it up like this!

Respect!

Thanks again buddy! ;)
Fast, though? I don't know about that lol. I've been in the process of sculpting, assembling and painting since April of 2010..so almost a year now. It probably just seems fast because of the way I'm posting it all. I usually finish the project (or get really far ahead) and then go back and post pics and progress later. Thanks again for the kind words (y)
Speaking of progress, here's the last little bit for this portion of the report
After all the weathering and airbrushing is done, the very last thing I did was cover the backplate with another coat of Testor's Dullcote. This serves two purposes: To get rid of any gloss or sheen and to seal in the pastel weathering so it won't rub off when being handled or worn.
MyFett266.gif

Remember the collar stud bolts? Well, I wasn't able to purchase any metal collar studs (the member here was sold out) and I really didn't feel like waiting, so I made them from scratch with plastic bonder, styrene, and drawer handle ends that I chopped up for the female bolt ends. Take a look
MyFett211.gif

MyFett210.gif

After I shot them with some silver, I screwed them onto the bolts that I attached to the backplate. I also corrected the collar/backplate lineup issue. It was basically just a matter of cutting off the excess material. But I sculpted it with that in mind in order to have extra to accommodate a wider variety of body types
MyFett385.gif

MyFett386.gif

MyFett390.gif

MyFett387.gif

MyFett388.gif

MyFett389.gif

On another note (in between doing this and filling orders) I decided to take another crack at the chest armor with more accurate and ergonomic curves. My question to you all is, would there be any interest in me doing a run of these? Take a look and let me know what you all think. Based on the WOF large size templates with some mods by me to make it a little more accurate. ROTJ style pulled in .093 black boltaron (boltaron is another brand version of kydex...very tough and durable. Nice and smooth plastic too) I'm thinking $40 a set shipped. Here's pics:
Armor447.gif

Armor448.gif

Armor449.gif

Armor450.gif

Armor451.gif

Armor348.gif

Armor352.gif

Armor346.gif

I'm also considering making the backplate available in a few weeks after I do some prep work to the mold. Pulled out of 1/8" inch ABS black plastic. I'm thinking $80 shipped is a fair price. What say ye?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've decided to make the chest plates available here: http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f31/rotj-chest-armor-ongoing-run-41470/
AND I've decided to make the backplates available..go here: http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f31/ioa-backplates-version-2-now-available-41515/

I've also resculpted the cod piece to make it more accurate and will likely be making these available later in the week after finishing getting the mold prepped, take a look and let me know what you all think:
Armor430.gif

Armor433.gif

Armor431.gif

Armor374.gif

Armor379.gif

Armor378.gif

Armor373.gif

Painted in silver to show detail only
Armor410.gif

Armor408.gif

Armor409.gif

Armor407.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice work!

I had read the thread before and I was going to ask if you were planning on making the gauntlets available as well and now I see you are offering them up, nice.

Thanks Natrix! Yes, I've actually had these available for quite a while now but just recently made them available here on TDH. I am looking into getting some thicker tougher plastic to pull these gaunts in, but it's going to be a few months before I can make that happen...but, still moving forward :cheers

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back