Whats the best way to attach the ears to the helmet

thorn13

New Hunter
Don't have any pictures yet but I have started my first cardboard build helmet. Got the ears done and have been using antman's tutorial. I don't know what kind of sealer was used on the ears. But most importantly what is the best way to attach the ears. Any help will be most appreciated.

I epoxied mine but a lot of people drill a notch in the back of the ear so the bolt head is recessed, then put a drop of paint on the end of the bolt to mark where to drill the hole in the helmet. Attach the nut over the screw inside the helmet and that's it!

But that is for regular helmets.
For cardboard, why wouldn't the same glue you are using for the rest of the build work?

I was thinking that my ears have a bit of weight to them and less surface area to attach to, so I didn't think that my elmers would be strong enough. Thanks for the suggestions. very helpful

Muad'Dib has it right, go with a bolt. it works awesome. If you glue it and the helmet flexes at all, the ears will pop off, which isnt any fun to have to deal with.

tried to insert some pictures of my helmet.

068.JPG

081.JPG

079.JPG

078.JPG

074.JPG

Still having problems with the ears. tried the bolts but they ripped a layer off the back of my ears and fell off. should I use bondo to attach them or fiberglass the back so the bolts won't rip off?

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back