SR V3 Helmet Interiors for FP and other MR based helmets. Progress

There will be movement tonight. Hope to finalize this piece, and paint it for molding. Ill pop a shot of how it will look before I drop it in silicone.

Ok, so the rear is laid out the way I want it, and its got a nice coat of primer, getting rady for rubber.

Ive had a few questiojns as to why I have changed some things.

The main questions are 'Why did you remove your rear piece. The quick answer is, it needed to be a lot flatter in order to not cause problems with people with bigger noggins. The second reason is I felt the over detail, was more episode 123 than 4 5 6. Anotherwords. Too techy. I have revamped the sides to have less detail, and tried to give the whole rear piece a nice feel, that should match the rest of the helmet.

The second question is, 'why arent there more pieces'. The simple answer is, you dont see it flat on, you see it from an angle, as noted in the pictures below. I wanted it to look techy, and full, but not overly so.

Ill need to light sand some of the flat pieces and then spray one more time, and then it goes in rubber, should be able to put a rubber pull, in the helmet this weeknd for photos.

interior1.jpg

interior2.jpg

[jedi mind trick on] you want to have it, you need it! [mind trick off] :)

Seriously bro, I have the old ones and the helmet fits like a glove! There´s no better way for helmet padding.

you know the big headed guys he referenced...Im one of them...well at least big nosed. That being said it may not work at all...But My FP might just be sitting since my MSH1 is probably larger. I havent even gotten to see my FP since its 1800 miles away at home :( maybe if the price is right Ill pick one of these up

The key on these, is im going to make a 'lock in system'. So parts could be removed. The key pressure points will be the FOREHEAD and the rear. The forehead will force it away. I could make a 'smaller cushion' system also. That allowed it to facilitate larger heads.

Im also going to make a rubberized gasket enclosure for under the helmet, around the neck:) so kids cant see whos in the helmet. If you think about it, kids are looking up at a sweating chin constantly.

The locking system will be mushroom plastic or hard rubber knobs that get glued in, and the liner will snap out. I know a lot of people like to have their helmet on display, and imagine peoples surprise when they look in it, and its fully functionalish.

oh man, I just found this thread...too cool! My wife is going to kill me if I spend any more money on my Fett, but I really really want one. She'll get over it :) Can't wait for more on this. Keep up the awesome work!

I did a test pour with solid soft rubber today, so I can test fit it in the helmet. its decent. only problem is the thin spots in the center, are really thin. I need to come up with a spacing system for it.

Im going to let it fully cure, then mount it in a helmet today, so we can get a FIRST IMPRESSION of how its coming together, and then ill start making the visor and cheeks!!

Need to let the crubber cure quite a long time, due to the fact that it is so thin, it uses heat to cure. so ill bake it at 200, and then take it out, and fully cool it, then remove it from the mold. Then mount.

Ok test fit the right side. Not glued down and the 'white rubber' was a failure, so im going back to black. the white dye makes the rubber too brittle and it tears easily. going to pour a black one now.
int-testfit.jpg

On test fit of the full rear. My black dye is no good, so there some discoloring, but its a good pull and it fits well, so now I can work on the cheeks and the front!

Input?
int2.jpg

int4.jpg

int5.jpg

Man that was fast. I just saw the white one refreshed with the new post button and saw this one. :) Looks great. Do you think this will fit a FPH as well?

I think the FPH is a bit bigger.

The jist of it is, the parts will all fit, you may have to cut along the center rear piece, and the ear piece, and put it in as 3 pieces. Im purposely allowing for some spacing concerns, spots that can but cut out, or spread apart to accomodate as many helmets as possible, however the kit should fit the MR and thus the new FP helmet exactly. I laid it in my mr. It fit identically.

Im going tow ork on the cheeks this week, and the forehead. Once those are done, the roundd dome pieces will be the most difficult as they will have to be shaped and cut like papakura in order to 'fit' around th dome.

Ok, i worked out the inside mandibles.

I didnt document the first, so as I make the second to match, ill do a quick hitter tutorial on it. As this is one of the more difficult parts.

First I drape a hot piece of polystyrene over the inside cheek. It gives me a nice piece that will lay nicely inside the mandible. I use my belt sander to shape it. It looks like this marvelous piece of plastic when its done.
mand2.jpg

The plastic doesnt drape well, so I then place a piece of sintra cut to match the center flat spot. And glue it down. I did not cut out the detail parts first (I know you were wondering why) because it would be to brittle and it would not glue down and keep the shape perfect.
mand1.jpg

The third step is mans best friend, bondo, well maybe second best, behind duct tape. Ill bondo this once, sand then again, sand and it should be nice and smooth. Then I will drill the ends of the detail pieces, and use a sharp knife to connect the edges. I was careful NOT to glue it down, where I knew I would be taking out details. Just to make it easier on myself.
mand3.jpg

More later today!

Looking awesome. I really would love to throw this into my asok jango. Do you have any idea if that may be possibly; not sure if you have had any experience with his buckets.

Delta: They should fit into any bucket. But they may need to be cut . Ill show you what i mean later in a pic. I creatd them to just fit in the FP helmet, however, im spacing the pieces, so they can be cut to add or remove a little material, and fit in just about any helmet.

Thanks deadland.

mand4a.jpg

This is the new piece after sanding and painting, and gluing on a greeb or two. I decided to make it non symetrical, since the helmet has diffrent hings on the cheeks.
mand4.jpg

Again, im trying NOT to make them as detailed as my first run. I think, while cool, my first pieces, were a bit TOO detailed for 1977 starwars.

Input is welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back