SR V3 Helmet Interiors for FP and other MR based helmets. Progress

The last piece is in the works, the forehad/dome. I need to get on it, but ive been busy. Ill try to sort it out in the next week or two.

Hey storm,
How are these for us fatter headed blokes? I used one of your V1 models in my rattle canned "eBay Mystery lid" and now its a perminent display piece in my office because I will never get my fat mellon into that bucket again. It looks awesome as all get out but my chubby cranium prevents further usage.

I am here, been busy, but this week i finished the dome, finished the cheeks, and they are in silicone as I type this.

Im hoping in the next day or so to pull them out, and pull a couple of test pieces. I havent decided what I want to use on the dome yet.

These are going to be difficult pieces to pull off, because ill likely have to use two types of rubber, thin, soft rubber / foam on the padding pieces, harder, more durable on the thin coating pieces. Im not looking forward to it, but it should all work out in the end.

The dome I did in a new way. I used some of my smaller sculpt pieces, and ebb clay to make them look as if they were molded into the dome and not fastened on. The down side was I couldnt get it perfectly smooth, so it looks almost welded/embedded. I like the look, im hoping you all will too. Im hoping to be able to mount a set in the helmet.

As for larger melons. id have to know hwo big the helmet was you put it in.

The space this fills is virtually identical to the old version. That being said. what I would do is:

get thin aluminum sheets, and cut shaped molded strips. This will hold the interiors in the shape you want, (any pieces you need to pull out) and just slided them in for display.

Thats if it doesnt fit. I have a pretty standard size head. A little on the large size, as im 6 '3 but not gigantic.

The pressure points are forehead and rear left and right. Taking the front or rear out gives you another inch.

The rear piece to cover the mq is a lot thinner this go around. That is what stopped a few from being able to leave the padding in while worn.

m2

Ok, first the pics which I consider good news, then the bad news:)
Pictured is a set of soft foam inserts, tack glued into a FP helmet, and lightly paitned with primer. Next to it in a few pictures is another, fresh out of the mold set of black Interior Kit pieces and another set of mandible inserts.

I created the first set of mandible inserts out of soft rubber. Too soft, the super glue i taked them in with sort of distorted it. The second set i made with hard (han in carbonite) rubber. It should work better. Ill be gluging in a full set in the the other helmet I have for testing.

The dome part I poured the first piece of today. Its curing. TOnight ill paint it, and tack it in, and you will finally get to see what the entire kit will look like together:)

foamInserts.jpg

The bad news, these kits take me longer to make than a FULL HIC. Theres about 10 steps that go into these. So unfortunately they wont be cheap.

For a full set were looking at 125 - 150 a set. I just cant do them any cheaper due to the amount of time these take. I may be able to lower the time considerably, but i would then raise the amount of silicone drastically, which doesnt help the price. ( I would have to build a second side to the molds, to make them squish molds or something).

That being said, id like to hear a sound of of whos interested if I guarantee the price <= 150 Shipped.

When you all see the final piece in here, and the set I paint, I think youll be able to appreciate it a little more.

Heres to hoping you like them!!!

These parts btw are CLEANER than my old parts. The pictures never do themjustice. Those of you that have the old parts, can appreciate that.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back