Han in Carbonite. The madness finally begins!

i had one of my rubber HIC's used as a table. it looked amazing. Another guy put one into the hood of his car. Ill see if i can find the pics.

Here we go with the Hero panel #1. Watched ESB to see how everything lights up. The big square blinks Green on and off when Han was being pulled out of the Carbonite pit and as he's being hauled off to Fett's ship. Each of the digital display on both of the smaller squares are blinking on and off ramdomly (may have a blinking pattern but it's hard to tell with less than 15 secs of screen time). The Green screen is off when Lando is checking to see if Han had survived the freeze and some of the round lights on the top row turns on when he turns a dial. I am going to try to get everything to light up with the blinking digital display, but I'm not going to worry about the pattern.

Here's the panel with the areas going to be lit hollowed out.
4232010030.jpg

Here's the two digital displays. They were cast hollow to make it easier to cut out the counter area. Pic on the left is the straight cast. The one on the right has the areas lit hollowed out with an exacto knife. If I'm going to have each part of the digital counters blinking then it looks like I'll need 13 LEDs for this part.
4232010027.jpg
4232010028.jpg

I'm going to need to isolate the LEDs so there won't be any light leaks. Will use a 1/4th rod that happens to fit a 5mm LED perfectly. I crimped one end of the aluminum rod to get the shape closer to the digital display. Pic on the right is the back side with the rods superglued in place. I added exoxie putty to the backs of both to give it extra support to the aluminum rods (small pic on the bottom).
4232010031.jpg
4232010032.jpg

4232010040.jpg

Here's the panel primed and with the white translucent plastic sheet cut and dry fitted in place kinda like what I did with the aluminum sheets for panels 3 thru 8. Translucent sheet was obtained from Mr. Wise of Rebelscum.com (thanks again!).
424003.jpg

Here's a test shot of the LEDs to check for light leaks. All the lights will be blinking yellow on the digital displays and I have them on order, so I'm using a blue and red LED for this test til my shipment of LEDs arrive.
424016.jpg

Til next time and thanks for looking!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, great looking work there friend. Its nice to see just how great your greeblies look
installed and painted! Cant wait for a chance to start on mine (someday).
Mike

Looks great!!

This is Alfredo from The HIC builders group. I bought the pannels from you... is there any chance to get the last things that you made and that i did not get because you did not built them by then?

Please let me know.

thanks

Alfredo

Wow, great looking work there friend. Its nice to see just how great your greeblies look
installed and painted! Cant wait for a chance to start on mine (someday).
Mike

Thanks Mike! My panels do take a little work but should look OK once cleaned up and painted. I gave myself 2 months time to finish the project but it looks like I may finish well before then. Please post progress pics when you do get started.

Looks great!!

This is Alfredo from The HIC builders group. I bought the pannels from you... is there any chance to get the last things that you made and that i did not get because you did not built them by then?

Please let me know.

Alfredo

Yes, I will have the parts for panel #2 available once I've finished this project. I am working on the clips as well and may offer them in with the panel 2 detail set. Thanks!

thanks

Got called in to work extra this week so time on the HIC was limited, but here's where I'm at on the Hero Panel.

Wanted to give the handle bars some support so I drilled a hole in the bottom and glued a rod in place. I drilled holes thru the panel itself so it can receive the reinforced rod.
4302010013.jpg
55009.jpg

Here I'm trying to match the colors on the digital displays.
4302010003.jpg

Here's one of the lights on the plexi strip. Greeblie was painted with transparent red and a rod glued to the back hold the LED. 2nd pic is the strip installed with light leak test. You can see a slight halo around the red greeblie part.
431001.jpg
4302010021.jpg

Painted the inside of the rod and the plexi with black and it seemed to take care of the light halo.
431003-1.jpg

Here's a ref pic of the Hero Panel.
right1a.jpg

And here's my Hero Panel with all the parts positioned in place. Nothing glued down yet. Still waiting for the LEDs so that's where I'm at for now. Thanks again for looking!
4302010017.jpg

here's a minor update as I was able to spray the metallic paint on the frame. Don't have a pic but I started with a titanium silver and it looked too bright. I went back to Home Depot and got some Satin Nickel. Probably not the right color, but it looked a lot better. I've got one more day at work then I'm off for 10 days. LEDs came in so I'll be busy soldering for a while. Gotta finish this bad boy up real soon cause I can feel my modeling ADD kicking in.

52008.jpg

Here we go with the LEDs wired up with the resistors. Going to use 13 5mm LEDs for the blinking digital display, 4 3mm LEDs for the plexi strip, and maybe 5 5mm LEDs for the large green square.
55003.jpg

Here's the ON/OFF switch. It's going behind the metal looking bar that sits just below the plexi strip and one of the knobs will hide the switch.
55004.jpg
55005.jpg

Here's the switch screwed in place, with the metal looking bar, and knob that will hide it.
55006-1.jpg
55007.jpg
55008.jpg

Looking at the ref pics of the Hero Panel again, seems I will have to square off my "T" bars a bit and drill two holes just below the handle bars on both sides. Also have to figure out where to hide the battery. May put it behind the smaller plexi square.

Here's a shot of the back of the Hero Panel with the 13 blinking LEDs wired up. Not a pretty site but it will do.
57004.jpg

Solo's now in the house and I was able to mount the panels on the left side. Will finish the rest of the LEDs this weekend and should be close to finish soon. Thanks for looking!
57010.jpg
57034.jpg

He made them. They are incredible. The above uses my face panel and his panels, and I personally think it looks better than an IC HIC.

Really looking good. You are going to have a nice HIC when you are done. Do you mind me asking where you got your side panels from?

Storm is correct, I make the panels and can put you on a list if you are interested in getting a set. Stormrider's front panel is highly recommended and you can see from my pics, is an awesome product.

Here's a shot of the finished Hero Panel all wired up with a total of 26 LEDs.
59057.jpg

Here are shots of the digital counters lit up and all 13 LEDs blink randomly.
59052.jpg

59053.jpg

59047.jpg

I've got some minor cleanup and putty work to do. Should be able to glue all the parts down soon and mount the final panel to the frame. Thanks again for looking!

Sounds good. Shoot me a pm with the info if you don't mind. I have one of Stormrider's rubber full front HIC casts. I really want to make a nice finished HIC.

Can you post the actual dimensions of your HIC? The reference picture / blueprint you have is nice, but you can't read the measurements.

So here's where I'm at with my HIC. Was able to mount the panels on the right side and secure the HIC to the wall. The only thing left is to make the clips that goes on the face of the panels and also the metal parts that goes on the two notches that were cut out earlier of each panel.
513042-1.jpg

Here's a shot of the finished Hero Panel. Project is 99% done and thanks to everyone for following along!
513044.jpg

Total respect to you my friend. A huge project for anyone to consider in time, fabrication and cost. Keep up the exceptional work and may the force be with you always !

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back