Death Watch WCA Deathwatch helmet & armor

stormtrooperguy

Sr Hunter
While waiting for assorted things to cure tonight, I started in on a new project...

4410629874_594b4f60aa.jpg

VERY rough right now, but I think the concept is solid.

I took one of my MR Boba casts and just started chopping.

I basically reversed the fix I did to the original MR. The visor was pinched in too tight at the bottom on the original. I pinched the top way back in to match that. I was able to narrow the front by about 1/4" just by adjusting that, without messing up the lines of the helmet. I want it a bit narrower still, so I'll have to build up some material.

I narrowed the horizontal part down to a slit with epoxy putty.

The most fun part is the cheeks. I cut out the old one, reshaped the remaining area a bit, and added in a Sintra panel. I've only extended the length of the front by about 1/4" or so, but it looks elongated like it should.

Take a look at Two-Face Fett over here...

4410650686_5784aede3b.jpg

The left side (in the pic) is the original shape. The right is the altered one. The helmet LOOKS really tall because of the changes, but it's not much different at all.

Added bonus - since the cheeks are not as deeply indented, it will be roomier too.

For about an hour of work so far I'm REALLY happy with how it's going. I think this will come out great.

Other scheduled mods include a rebuilt keyslot area, getting rid of the RF ear cap mount, and making a new cap for that side.

Fun stuff!

Hahaha!!! I should sleep more. I totally forgot that I had even posted this here :)

A'den commented on another board and I told him he was mistaken. Oh man...

Anyway, since I'm here!

4421892122_e5104bc4f2.jpg

The other cheek is in. I've also trimmed out the earcap bump and cut out the back keyslot area.

It's coming along nicely!

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice work. I got my hands on a free Don Post Boba that has a broken range finder. I am doing a Pre Vizsla with it. I can only hope that looks half as good as your build.

This helmet looks great!! I'm looking into getting a custom mando together and I thought of maybe going with the animated Clone Wars version. Let me know if you will be making a run of these

Once this is done I'll be making at least a few... I don't have the attention span for an ongoing run, but a handful I can do :)

I've been working at it on and off over the weekend. The bondo is in on the cheeks, I've cleaned up some details, and put a bit more primer on to see details. I have to build the back detail and ear caps, then mold it up.

Much like my cats, rabbits, wife and friends, the Mando helmet was complaining that I spend too much time on clones. So tonight I did a bunch of work on this.

4559292127_777fede2b1.jpg

I think that after this latest bit of epoxy gets sanded I may even be happy with the shape of the face at last!

I finished the rough shaping of the ears, and got the little bumps at the bottom.

I noticed that the trim around the back of the helmet is way more pronounced than Boba's, and that the details behind the ear caps were slightly different. I added some new sintra strips on to make the borders stick out more, then epoxied around them to smooth them out.

4559291287_8108e7f282.jpg

I also tightened up the eye slit even more. They really do have a tiny, tiny little opening. I figure folks can always sand away some if they actually want to *see*.

I'm planning to just look out the center for the most part, so the horizontal will be decorative.

Primed and starting to look like something. This shot is neat, because it shows how much camera angles matter. This is a low shot, and the helmet looks REALLY tall, but it's the same height/width as the Boba helmet it started off as.

4561800801_2822ed33af.jpg

We're in silicone! I got most of it done last night, then I fell asleep. Tonight I'll wrap up the rubber and, curing time wiling, start on the shell. I hope to have the first cast in hand this week.

As for selling them, I haven't thought that far ahead yet. First things first: make sure it works / looks good!

Very nice!

If you're going to make a few, I'm very interested in a helmet as I'm in the starting fase with a custom animated mando.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back