Thickness of Stormriders HIC front panel

Encased

New Hunter
Hi,

I'm pretty new to this forum but quickly found Stormriders thread of the HIC front casting. I'm in the process of ordering one and was wondering what everyone thought of the material ( denseness, pliability, durability).

Are there any spots that might benefit from being thicker? How did it hold up from shipping? Any damage so far from prolonged storage? Any info would be helpful.

Stormrider himself recommended I start a new thread asking for the info. I didn't want to convolute his order thread.

It looks great and I can't wait to get mine and get started on the box.

Thanks.

Feel free to answer honestly. And also include which you ordered (to the edge, detail, silver, black, SECONDS) all thats important.

This will help me improve them as well.

Ive got one too (sadly its still waiting to become one with the rest of the prop). I think the rubber is great. Shipping must
be a PITA and $, but theres nothing that can be done about that -it is what it is, a big heavy, durable, rubber prop. I think
the choice of rubber came after considering all the options on the open forum here with the maker and the members imput.
Highly reccommended -easily one of the best things Ive bought for the persuit of the hobby.
Mike

Hi

Think I post the question here:

I have one and I will begin to build one up when the weather is getting friendlier. One thing that I think about is the method of getting the rubber sheet 100 % flat.

On the backside, there are a lot of bums and lumps from the pouring process, so when you lay the casting flat onto a board, some corners stand a bit up, some areas are sunken in (minimal but enough that it bugs me).

When it's built up, I hate the fact that when I poke my finger onto an area of the sheet and press down, it will sink half of a centimeter in due to the non flat backside of the sheet.

Is there a way to get the thing really straight flat without any slightly sunken in areas? Since this is rubber and not a massive block of wood, it can't be sanded to a 100 % flat base.

Any solutions from builders/owners?

cheers

I absolutely love mine. It is cast from industrial proof rubber so it is nearly impossible to damage it. Check out my WIP Han in Carbonite thread. I am almost finished with it and I couldn't have done it without Stormrider and tons of others here at DH. I bought one from him in Black and it was just a front pull, not a full front pull all the way to the edge. When I got it I had to trim around him where the texture on the carbonite started. When you mount it to anything make sure to use a lot of glue to ensure it lays as flat as it can be. It took me quite a bit of gluing and setting weights on top of it to get it mounted nicely. Feel free to message me with any questions you have, this has been a really fun project and congrats to you for starting on your own HIC. I have one more round of light sanding with an electric sander and then it will be ready to prime and paint. Then I'll mount the panels and get the electronics going and it will finally be done. Good luck!

The rubber actually can be machined. So technically, if theres a big lump, you could sand it. Ive removed lumps.

I do agree that that is definitally one drawback. There are some lumps, especially where the ribs are. The issue is that I have to reinforce any of the edges where they stand almost vertically.

Once the item arrives there are a few options to getting it to lay flat. One person said he used a 1 gallon tub of wall filler and spread it out about a half inch thick all over the sheet. Then laid the han on top of it once it started to set up and pressed it down. Said it made a nice impression like 'legos'.

I used a belt sander on the bottom of one to get any of the really high nodules off of it.

The thicker someone asks for it, the more lumps on the underside there are.

IMHO there are two ways to do this thing. If you want to make a full prop, you want it thin. You dont want it 'reinforced' or 'thick' like many ask for. You want it to be able to lay flat and you want to be able to trim it at the edge of the texture easily. The 'thicker' ones are harder to trim.

If you want to just display it, you want it thick, and all the way to the edge, and silver. The 'lip' makes it hold its shape very well.

I can likely make them more consistent on the underside. However, the downside is there may be 'thin' spots in the rubber. As I can not 'pile' it on to be sure its thick.

I thought most complaints would be of 'thin spots'.

More of your thoughts are welcome!
m2

Another option, one id be willign to try, is just the actual han features. Face, chest, hands, thighs and toes.

I could likely make those and one could use wall filler to recreate the 'carbonite texture' around him. I could include a spot to give an example of the texture.

It woudl reduce the prices around 100$

Ordered a Black to the edge "seconds" at a great price. Very durable and the "seconds" was due to a minor defect near the knees which Stormrider clearly pointed out before the sell. Easily fixed with a bit of epoxy sculpt and any lumps was also easily fixed with some sanding. Thanks Storm for a great product! I've finally started my HIC build and will post WiP when I am no longer a "newbie" status.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back