Helmet builds for my two brothers overseas

Well I've finished painting the earcaps and RF, gotta apply the RnB to the RF stalk though. As for the earcaps though, should they be glued on the helmet and the magnet part only be the part that coveres where the bolt is located for the RF stalk?

BTW doing some light bondo tonight hopefully and just general detailing to get the helmet prepped for paint. Gotta cut out the visor and order the visors still.

Ususally it takes honorable active duty service during wartime in an area relating to said war. It is also issued to fresh airman, soldiers, marines, seaman etc. when joining during wartime. Also anyone who is guard or reserve and becomes eligible for an Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal, Vietnam Service Medal, or Southwest Asia Service Medal is automatically qualified for the NDSM.

Hope this clears things up

http://www.gruntsmilitary.com/natdef.shtml

The helmets are coming along nicely! The paint is done and the Army helmet has the camo done on it. I just used an ACU camo bandana and cut out the pattern and used spray on contact adhesive like that is used with formica countertops and its not going anywhere! lol. The Navy helmet is done with paint but I am awaiting a valid source for the new NWU camo to install it on the helmet. Should happen here in the Next few days but we'll see. I may have found a place in North Carolina but we'll see about that. Trying to find a place thats a little bit closer. Need to stop by radioshack and get some small blue and yellow LEDS for the RF top, and also some silver and gold RnB for the RF stalks and helmet domes. Still need to find and order some mirrored Blue and Gold T-visors too.

Just for my own organizational purposes:
Needed:
RnB stalks and dome
LEDS blue and yellow
Navy digital camo
Mirrored blue and Gold visors

If anyone has a lead on where to get a nice mirrored visor for as cheap as possible please let me know! I've searched high and low and I have yet to find something I like. I could always go with the face shield for the 3/4 HJC motorcycle helmets that are Gold and Blue mirrored but they are in the mid $30's and I'm only going to get them ordered if I can't find them anywhere else. Even just a mirrored plastic sheeting that is gold and another that is blue will work. Doesn't have to be made for a visor style application but I have to be able to see out of it once installed. Thanks to anyone who can help!!!

Ususally it takes honorable active duty service during wartime in an area relating to said war. It is also issued to fresh airman, soldiers, marines, seaman etc. when joining during wartime. Also anyone who is guard or reserve and becomes eligible for an Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal, Vietnam Service Medal, or Southwest Asia Service Medal is automatically qualified for the NDSM.

Hope this clears things up

http://www.gruntsmilitary.com/natdef.shtml

I hope I didn't offend. I just meant that there is always seeming to be a "next time" for those that didn't get involved this round or came a bit too late. I've been in long enough to have been awarded two or three of them (old, I know) There will always be another conflict for those to participate in.

Well I've got a few pictures of my work for general opinion. Its still in progress so tell me what you think.

DSCF0852.JPG

DSCF0851.JPG

DSCF0850.JPG

DSCF0849.JPG

DSCF0848.JPG

DSCF0847.JPG

DSCF0846.JPG

DSCF0845.JPG

DSCF0843.JPG

DSCF0844.JPG

I'm thinking of redoing the blue in flat blue instead of gloss. It is the navy and gloss makes sense, but flat just looks better in my opinion. I'll have to get some and do a test patch to see how it looks. Got a dremel set today and finally got the visors cut out. Next step is attaining the visors and I should be set!

Updated pic with visor cutout:

DSCF0863..JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I might try and do a flat navy blue and then do a gloss clear coat over top of that. that way it goes down smooth and I can possibly do some neat effects by glossing some areas and not others....we'll see. ordering the navy digital fabric today online, picking up some epoxy to attach the awards and quals, and picking up some RnB either today or tomorrow for doing the stalks and possibly some other tidbits.

Yeah I'm aware of the orientation issue. Unfortunately the only fabric sample I could get yeilded enough to cut them out in the arrangment they are in. Plus they are on with countertop adhesive so they definitely arn't going anywhere. It at least gets the whole design of it going, but I will be sure to arrange the Navy camo in the right way. Luckily I ordered a yard of the stuff.......maybe I'll see about getting a new ACU bandana so I can get it right. Kind of bugging me now that you mention it.

well both helmets are built and ready to attach visors and awards. ordering some custom colored visors about $30 a pop. here I was trying to be frugal. oh well. pics coming soon! I want to get the visors installed first.

Pretty cool designs. Probably the first time I've ever liked digital camo on a Mando helmet. Then again, these are special themed helmets so it fits. Can't wait to see them complete.

I've got the visors incoming, and will be purchasing some mirrored gold and blue window tint to complete my concepts. I want to see how they look with just smoke first though so we'll see. camo is also a possible, and if I order it, it will be here sometime next week most likely. still need to attach the awards and qualifications. can't wait to make some more progress on these!

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back