Helmet builds for my two brothers overseas

SuperTrooper

Jr Hunter
Both of my brothers are in the military, David is the oldest in the Navy in Afg., and Jason is the middle in the Army in Iraq. I've made a few designs in photoshop for helmet designs for them. I am making these in tribute to their sacrifices, appreciation and as a welcome home gift to them in the best way I know how.
David_Mando.jpg

Jason_Mando.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I assume u're wanting the ribbon on the side to be the campaign ribbon, the one shown is the GWOT ribbon, Iraqi Freedom has a seperate ribbon (just FYI) but those are awesome. The one thing I'd suggest is stencilling their name on the back, I don't know if the Navy does that or not but it is common in the Army and Marines to have your name on the back of your helmet (if not on the front) and the rank placement is perfect. Also, I don't know how u did it but the camo patterns are awesome. Great work and I think they'd be proud to have 'em. I know I would... well... except I'm AF...lol

Yeah I am aware of the ribbons and such. I couldnt find a good shot of the back of a Mando Helm so I just did the front.
Yes the Ears will contain the ribbons, most likely bottom half being standard ribbons and upper half being unit awards.
The overall shot was just something to get the placing right where I want things.
I went to MCRDPI but got sent home after a month for a heart palpatation so I would be right there with them if it hadn't been for that.
Their names will definitely be stenciled, most likely under the traditional seal of the Navy/Army.

As for the camo design, I found an image of a sample of camo, brought it into photoshop, clone stamped it, masked off the helmet areas, inverse selected, then painted it in with a brush. I used another mask to define the shadow area of the cheeks and then inverse selected followed by black paint brush at 21% in layers to achieve th top underside of the cheek being a little bit darker. The helmet itself was grayscaled first followed by a little hue saturation and color replacement. It worked so thats all I care about lol

Not sure if I am going to stick with the new blue camo for the Navy helmet though, its a little fugly in my own opinion. I would rather do a white helmet with dark Navy blue, but I also want to go with the current choice of the Navy for camo. He is a seabee too so that also pushes me away from the camo idea because he actually will never wear Navy camo ever. He wears classic desert BDU's and sometimes standard BDU's. Dont know why, just the way they like i I guess.

The helmets will be mostly for display, however I plan on fully incorporating everything I can into these such as voice amps, Fans, bucket skirt, LEDs in the RF. I've only got until April until my brother in the Navy comes home so that should set a good deadline for me to get these done. The Army brother comes home in August. Should get the raw casts fo them about the first week of March. We shall see!

Aside from the ribbons, what do you guys think of the actual design of the helmet?
As for the ribbons, I will include the ones they have earned to date.

Being a former military guy. I love the designs man. Those are great. Hats off to you for doing that for your brothers.

OK... yes u r right it is the ND ribbon, (I looked at my uniform... u're absolutely right) and it is for "service in defense of the United States during a time of conflict" according to the documentation for the award. I don't know why the new ppl don't have it, but come to think of it I've noticed the same thing, a lot of new ppl don't have the same ribbons... I came in 2 yrs ago and I received it immediately, I also have the GWOT (got that one after 6 months) I get 'em confused from time to time.
Back on subject, I personally like the look of the buy'ce w/ Navy camo... but if he's a SeaBee they don't wear the new stuff because it doesn't blend in... ANYWHERE except for in the water. I'm suprised they don't wear the MARPAT tho. I actually ran into some seabees in the BX a few days ago and they were wearing the old BDUs... I asked them why then, that's what they told me. Dude I can't wait to see what you do with these, I'll be watching intently because they look like some awesome concepts.

Hopefully will get up a concept shot of the back of the helmet too just for reference. Helmets should start to take shape sometime in early March as thats when I should receive the casts. Heres to an insane paintjob trying to do the camo.............maybe test some fabric glued on with fiberglassing resin with a clearcoat over it.......once again just a test to see how I can manage the digital camo on the helmet

well... I know that there are some companies who make the digital stencils for rifle stocks... I don't know if that'll help u or not but it's something to consider. Like I said I can't wait man... I REALLY want to see these things when they get done. I think it's great what u're doin' and ur brothers are really lucky guys.

Thanks. I sure hope they appreciate it. Im sure they will though as they have always had fun putting my TD helmet on randomly.

The stencil idea is a good one too! I hadn't thought about that! I'll get looking into it to see what I can tun up.

I know that for a similar effect I am going to be using carbon fiber vinyl for my mass effect helmet......of which should be getting started here over the weekend if I'm lucky with some slushcasting going on

Mate. Both of thoes helmets look great!
Love the designs, and they both look very natural in those colours!
Great job!

Im happy to say that the helmets should be arriving sometime monday and from there it will be a fast build on one of them to get it done for he first brother to return home. I'll try and keep you guys posted with the progress. Thanks for h positive feedback on the designs!

yeah the camo patterns are going to be the hardest part. I'm almost wondering if there is a way to laser print the design onto some automotive vinyl and I would just apply it that way with some spray adhesive to back it. i'll see what I can turn up

Got the helmets in the other day and I've already started sanding away at these babies. Excess flashing from molding has been removed and the helmets just need to be spot filled in a few little areas. left mandible needs to be adjusted just a smidge but thats what the oven is for. The ear caps and RF stalk/top have been primed and painted awaiting a good sanding and second coat in the morning. Visor, rear area and RF bolt areas need to be cut on both helmets in prep for the first coat of paint. Got most of the sanding done on the helmets and a coat of primer to fill smaller imperfections that filler isnt any good for. All awards, qualification bars, ranks, flags, USN and Army pins are either in my possession or are on their way from the supplier. The only things I still need to get are the RF bolts, visors, and a little padding for the helmet interiors.

What is the best way that you guys know of for attaching the ear caps and for mounting the RF to the RF stalk? I've read enough here on the thread to understand how to mount the visors. Plus a little practice with my TD.

Thanks for the input guys!! Pictures coming soon. Most likely some progress pictures tomorrow before I get too far into it so I have a pretty good look at how things went.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back