Rogue Studios' ESB Color list & Painting Techniques

LOL TK0000 just make sure the numbers are clearly printed so I can tell what I'm painting.

Actually, the aforementioned post was in all seriousness. It would be great to have a fully detailed guide by someone who knows what they are doing. These helmets aren't cheap and not everyone has buckets of money to throw away on redoing things over and over until its done right. Might as well get it right the first time.

I am sure that I can speak for myself and all the future unskilled Fett-heads when I say "Lead us through the valley o' mighty skilled Painters".

*edited cause my spelling sucked after working a late night shift*

Regards,
OK

Last edited by a moderator:
Overkill I totally agree. I haven't really had time to make a detailed tutorial I have been spending a lot of free time painting helmets so I appologize for not being more detailed maybe someone can post their progress like Lynn has etc. and hopefully that will help.

Lee

I understand Lee, you probably get inundated with requests to paint buckets etc.

I think RogueStudios, Lynn and TK409 should get together and compile their MasterWorks into a tutorial.

This isn't to say that others aren't talented but in my own personal opinion these are the three who stand out the most in my vision of Fett's bucket. One other guy here, who has supplied me with my bucket, does some primo work too but I don't think he does paintjob stuff.

I have yet to look into painting armor and blasters but that will come after I finish the bucket.

Regards,
OK

This has nothing to do with helmets but the grimy black that you list for the JP is that the color that makes the bars around the symbols and on the main tank?

I used it primarily for weathering but it's not a bad idea to use it for that since toned down colors are best. It gives it that used look.

Lee

OverKill wrote:

I have yet to look into painting armor and blasters but that will come after I finish the bucket.
Hmmm, I would personally recommend painting your armor first (if you already have it) before tackling the helmet. The old saying that practice makes perfect is true here, and the helmet is the most important part of this costume. I can paint armor all day long, but I don't know if I'm comfortable enough with my own skills to paint a helmet (I eventually will). Armor can easily be repainted if you goof up, but to screw up on a helmet usually results in starting all over again. :(

Here is what I worked on this past weekend. The colors from RS worked out great! The base colors are done with an airbrush and the grey weathering was done with a brush.

dwsfett.png

dwsfettall.png

NICE!!!

I'm loving the weathering you did on the side...

I can hardly wait till I get confirmation that my helmet has been shipped (been waiting about a week and a half since I paid).

Those mystery helmets look daaaaaaaaaaaamn good!! Thank god someone out there had the foresight to build a bucket for those of us who are taller than 5'9 and weight more than 170 lbs LOL.

Regards,
OK

I'm having trouble finding a couple of the paints, and I'm thinking maybe they are listed differantly from the sites listings. So I'm wondering if the "PRR Green" is actually the same as "PRR Burnswick Green", and the other one being the "Euro Dark Green" the same as "Br. Dark Green". Somebody...anybody, please chime in if you know the answer.

Thanks

Prr Brunswick is correct I probably left that off by accident. I was going by memory when I made the lsit sorry. The British dark green is not too far off and actually could stand in for that color especially since that is one I am unsure about.

Lee

A little bit OT, but I was going to buy the paints, and seeing that this will be my first real full project using an airbrush, I'm curious as to how much coverage is possible with a 1/2 oz. or 1 oz. container of paint. It doesn't seem like much to me, but then again I am new to this technique. So how much would be enough, or how do I scale it. I'm doing armor, gauntlets, jet pack, bucket, the whole deal. Do I load up or not?

Thanks

The Anti-Hero wrote:

I'm curious as to how much coverage is possible with a 1/2 oz. or 1 oz. container of paint. It doesn't seem like much to me, but then again I am new to this technique.
Thanks

All the paints need to be thinned to spray (directions of thinning amount on bottle), so the amount of paint needed is a little less.
I bought 3 X 1/2 oz. bottles of the US med green for the armor.
1oz. of the Reefer yellow for the knees and bells, however, you should have another 1 oz. bottle to do the pack.
1 oz.Wisconson Maroon for the gauntlets.

The 1 oz. bottles should be good for "most" applications. Some of the paints only come in 1/2 oz. so if ordering get 2 minimum, 3 to be safe if doing large parts like all the green armor, blue on JP, or any other area that the specified paint only comes in 1/2 oz. bottles.

Lynn

If it just me or do other people find the Polyscale Boxcar Red isn't really all that red? More sort of a brown?

I'm using it on the exterior of the T visor (mandible?) and I'm finding that its more sort of a brown than it is a red.

This is of course ontop of a chrome base but I'm using multiple coats of the Boxcar Red.

Also, in the pictures located on the ONLINE BOBA FETT RESOURCE CD v1.0 or whatever its called... the ESB looking Fett has silver/chrome colored left ear but this thread says RLM Green??

Regards,
OK

Ack, thank god ya showed me this before I started painting on the kill count stripes LOL...

I really woulda been screwed then.

Ok, its green... that I can handle... does anyone know the best adhesive to attach these? Simply model glue (orange tub stuff) or something different?

Regards,
OK

I do not know the color of the box car red in person, but from what I have seen, the mandible colors from the Prepros down to ESB to Jedi (which was a prepro helmet of sorts) lean more toward being a rust/brown-red color than a true red.

This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back