Rogue Studios' ESB Color list & Painting Techniques

Thanks Lee for posting this info.

I'm sorry if I'm missing something , but what is AOSW ?
I'm not sure if you're still researching this but,is the ESB chest armor,cod,gauntlets and jet pack all painted in the panzer green ?

Thanks a lot

Phil TK1608

Last edited by a moderator:
AOSW is the Art of Star Wars exhibit. To add to your question, what about the ESB jet pack? Any research on these colors?

Regarding the painting techniques for the shoulders and knees, I'm admittedly a bit confused as to the application too Lee.

;)

Simply also can't wait for pics of your suit!!

(y)

take care,

-Rex

AWESOME!!! When I get ready to paint my helmet.... Oh wait... I don't have a helmet and I have no painting skills! :lol:

GREAT info RS! We def need more info like this shared on the board!

Having seen RS' armor in person I can tell you the overall look and feel is VERY much like what I saw at MoM. It just looks and feels like the real thing!!!

Last edited:
Please do not confuse Brak's comments as though he was feeling me up at the con. Just wanted to get that out LOL.

Lynn: on the yellow that is a matter of taste but I would suggest painting one coat let it dry a few mins and spray another. I went a little thicker on the Knee (too much I think) and they came out really orangish in pics but it was on really thick. It was kind of cool since it developes a contrast between the knees and shoulders and makes you question are they orange? or are they yellow?..it's one freaked out color.

I don't know if I mentioned this but be very sparing on the acrylic wash you can over do it *Less is more if that makes sense. You are only doing this to interlock the colors visually and tone down the bright ones like the kill stripes etc. it makes it all blend into one tone.

Lee

Thanks Lee, Sorry it took soo long to respond, I forgot I asked this... :p

I hope to paint in the next week or so. Do you have pics of your suit? I( don't remember seeing any in the DC thread or I missed them....

Is any chalk/pastal dust weathering used on any of the parts? I really want to avoid using this this time around for a different look.

Are the knees/shoulders misted with black paint?

Thanks,
Lynn

The knees ar misted with UP armor yellow. But mist in streaks if that makes sense it's kind of splotchy. It creates a darker shadowy area. Do you happen to have any photos of the shoulders from AOSW? you can see a slightly darker yellow misted on the bells.

As for chalks I used a little bit of black and dirty gray. I bought them from micromark they are called weathering chalks. Actually a friend of mine sent them to me to try out LOL. After painting the bells yellow I then loaded up the airbrush with the UP armor and lightly misted and concentrated in a few areas to creat slightly darker spots (very subtle) I then scratched of my scratches and dents and dirtied it up with chalks(This was the only area of the armor I used chalks)...I like anything that doesn't looked airbrushed when it comes to weathering.

If this is still confusing let me know. I darkened the pic a tad so you can see misting I hope and they look a little orangish because of that but they are yellow.
dang%20009.jpg

Here's one of the jet pack not one drop of mixed paint and no misting except for weathering. This one is going on EBAY very soon. The scratches aren't perfectly matched since I built it as a test pack to test technique. I'll get pics of the suit up soon hang in there.
compare1.jpg

Lee

Great pic!! I have it now...... Now, I just gotta find the time to do it.

Great pic!!

Do you have links to pics of the rest of your suit Lee?

Lynn

I'll add my .02 here..........

If anyone has trouble finding the pains RS mentioned, please drop me a line. I would be more than happy to help folks get these. I live near 3 hobby shops that carry the floquil paints.

Steve

Lookin' good Lee! Man, those pics just get my mouth waterin' to get my armor/jet pack/helmet, etc, done!!

:lol:

Rogue Studios wrote:

The knees ar misted with UP armor yellow. But mist in streaks if that makes sense it's kind of splotchy. It creates a darker shadowy area. Do you happen to have any photos of the shoulders from AOSW? you can see a slightly darker yellow misted on the bells.
Lee

Lee, I painted my bells and knees today using the Reefer yellow. I sprayed the full bottle on both sets of armor, but it is still as yellow as can be. It is no where near turning the orangish yellow as I think it should as in your armor pic and on the CD.... Should I get another bottle and spray it on?

I sprayed the Med Green on the armor and it looks great!!!

Does the green armor have the black wash to darken it and blend everything in as well like the helmet?

Lynn

Not sure what to say about the Orange thing but have you worked it with UP armor yellow yet? Also the knees and shoulders really are that Orange I think they just photograph that way. I probably should put out a warning * results may vary. Glad to hear about the green.

Lee

I have sprayed some of the up armor yellow and you can see some darker spots. I'll try to photograph it and see what I get.
It looks really good, don't get me wrong, it just isn't what I was expecting.
Maybe when I do some weathering on it and clear it flat, it'll change.

Does the green armor have the black wash like the helmet?

Lynn

I see what you mean. Hang in there it'll turn out ok...also a key factor make damn sure you shake up those bottles really well a lot of the pigment settles I ran into that on the green for the armor.

Lee

Thanks man! Oohh, I stirred the heck out those bottles...... :)

Here are pics of my repainted green armor with the Med US green, almost finished except for some final weathering scratchs and the final clear flat. A black wash has been applied.
New_chestpaint.JPG

new_armorpaint1.JPG

The bells and knees have not recieved any weathering yet. I'm still deciding if I need more Reefer yellow, the UP armor yellow has been applied splotcy and streaky.
New_paintbells.JPG

New_paintbells_knees.JPG

LMK what you think.

Lynn

I would seal those knees and shoulders with a light hit of a semi-gloss and that should do it and then apply weathering.

Lee

Thanks, So the yellow color looks OK? When complete, should do a final seal of semi gloss or do a flat?

Should I do a final seal of semi gloss on the green or do it flat?

I have always done flat, but.....

Lynn

Perhaps someone in this thread who has painted their bucket ESB colors and done a succesful job of it might want to make a full tutorial.

Something which explains in detail the steps required to make a masterpiece such as their own helmet.

Perhaps even a small diagram with numbers which detail what part is what (ie: mandibles?) and what the best method of painting that area would be.

Surely this person would be considered a TDH god by all for the foresight to enlighten the rest of us.

Oh come on, just make the damn tutorial already LOL.

Regards,
OK

Even better they could make a printable paint-by-number template. Cut it out and put it on and paint away! :lol:
OK, I guess it wasn't that funny.

TK-0000 as funny as it may sound it isnt that far from the truth. I know there are some members that are working on a project similar to what you have said and it may see daylight but then again it may never reach completion. Let us unskilled painters hope for the best. :D

This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back