FIRST FP PREMIUM PAINTJOB

mmgraphics

Active Hunter
Hey fellow sisters and brothers,

this thread is opened up to document the process of painting the first FP Premium full layered using airbrush and Humbrol colors. :lol:

This paintjob is a commissioned work for salamanderking and will be an ESB paintjob, as he´s going to build up a SE Boba Fett.

Let´s get ready to rumble ... :love

Step 0: The base kit as delivered by FP. You can see no visor, because this order was placed before the premium got the visors too. Sometimes it´s hard to be one of the first ... :D:D:D

arthur_step0_basekit.jpg

Step 1: The visor is cut and first layers of light grey primer are on (fixed the ears with tape to get the feeling)

arthur_step1_primer.jpg

Step 2: Two layers of silver [Humbrol No. 11] as the first (visible :p) Paint

arthur_step2_silver.jpgarthur_step2_silver2.jpgarthur_step2_silver3.jpg

Step 3: Masking Fluid

arthur_step3_maskingsilver.jpg

arthur_step3_maskingsilver2.jpg

arthur_step3_maskingsilver3.jpg

Step 4: Dark Grey [Humbrol No. 79]

arthur_step4_darkgrey.jpg

arthur_step4_darkgrey2.jpg

arthur_step4_darkgrey3.jpg

Here a quick comparison shot to see the current paintjob with my previous:

arthur_step4_compare.jpg

Step 5: Trim and Mandibles light grey [Humbrol No. 140]

arthur_step5_lightgrey.jpg

I did lighten the trim and mandibles with light grey to achive a better result for the purple and red layers. You can see the difference between the dark grey dome (and the lower cheeks also) and the mandibles here. I was curious how it will look like with visor, so I added one quickly just to get the impression. It´s my TF visor ... a tick too short but you get the idea. :)

Step 6: Purple [Humbrol No. 73 + 104 (mixed 2:3)]

arthur_step6_purple.jpg

arthur_step6_purple2.jpg

arthur_step6_purple3.jpg

Please forgive me the bad picture quality, but I just wanted to show the quick purple-step before the red comes on. :)
Salamanderking wanted to have slightly more of the red on the right mandible so I just took away some of the lightgrey areas to have more room for the purple/red.
The purple looks a tick too bright but that´s just the picture ... it´s quite darker in reality.

After some days without progress (my work schedule ...) it now goes on ...

Step 7: Red [Humbrol No. 73]

arthur_step7_red.jpg

arthur_step7_red2.jpg

arthur_step7_red3.jpg

Last pic was shot with flash to get the correct red tone. Without flash it got influenced by the warm lamp light (it looked like an orange color).

Step 8: Cream color on Backpanels [Humbrol No. 103 + 28]

arthur_step8_beige.jpg

arthur_step8_beige2.jpg

arthur_step8_beige3.jpg

I am satisfied with how the cream color has come out. Now some steel wool work and on with the green. ;-)
Sorry for the bad picture quality, it doesn´t do the paintjob justice, but my cam isn´t that good ... trying to make better ones next time.

Step 9: Green on Backpanels [Humbrol No. 76 + 96]

arthur_step9_darkgreen.jpg

arthur_step9_darkgreen2.jpg

arthur_step9_darkgreen3.jpg

The contrast between the green and the cream color is still a tick too high, but that´s solved after the weathering process and the slight use of steel wool again.

Step 10: Green on Dome and lower cheeks [Humbrol No. 78]

arthur_step10_green.jpg

arthur_step10_green2.jpg

arthur_step10_green3.jpg

arthur_step10_green4.jpg

arthur_step10_green5.jpg

arthur_step10_green6.jpg

arthur_step10_green7.jpg

arthur_step10_green8.jpg

arthur_step10_green9.jpg

Here you see the fresh "airbrushed" green on dome on lower cheeks, no weathering yet. Weathering, scratches, powder burn around dent and killstripes will come later.
Hope you like it. ;-)

Step 11: Black on upper cheeks [Humbrol No. 33]

arthur_step11_black01.jpg

The upper cheeks are black now. Still no weathering on the helmet, it will follow when the ears are ready painted and connected. Behind the FP Premium you can again see my TF ESB for comparison. ;-)

Step 12: Ears painted and connected

arthur_step12_ears.jpg

arthur_step12_ears2.jpg

So, the ears are on now. All painted and connected using the bolt technique. The right ear is silver [H.11], dark grey[H.79] and sand [H.93]. The left ear is silver[H.11], red [H.60], light grey [H.28] and a mixed green [H.78+159]. Yes, the left ears green isn´t the same as the green on dome and lower mandibles. Just check out TF´s sticky and you´ll see. :)
Just at the moment I insert the power magnets for the upper right ear part, so it can easily be taken off if the stalk needs to be replaced or something else. I don´t like this part to be glued on.

Step 13: Killstripes, Decals and Weathering

arthur_step13_ready.jpg

arthur_step13_ready2.jpg

arthur_step13_ready3.jpg

arthur_step13_ready4.jpg

arthur_step13_ready5.jpg

arthur_step13_ready6.jpg

arthur_step13_ready7.jpg

arthur_step13_ready8.jpg

That´s it with this paintjob brothers! Hope you like it!

Best,

Manuel

Last edited by a moderator:
Manuel,

You know i'll be in touch when I get mine brother... :)

Looking fwd to seeing the masking fluid techniques..... if i feel brave, you never know i may do it myself.. :D

Hey Manuel, how do you plan on attacking the earcaps? Epoxy, or the nut and bolt method?

Hey Rick, I´ll definately use the nut and bolt method. It´s more durable than with epoxy (my experience) and you get them perfectly onto the helmet even if the ear-back-surfaces (undersides) aren´t straight. :)

Nice crisp job on cutting out the visor, I can't wait to see the progress!!!!!!!!!!! I know whos going to be painting my FPH when I get it ;)

El1te

Hey Rick, I´ll definately use the nut and bolt method. It´s more durable than with epoxy (my experience) and you get them perfectly onto the helmet even if the ear-back-surfaces (undersides) aren´t straight. :)

Definitely show that step. I tried the nut and bolt method and the results were pretty bad.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back