FIRST FP PREMIUM PAINTJOB

I would love to see a few pics of how you connected the right outer ear cap with the magnets. Everything else looks great and you are almost there!!!

I would love to see a few pics of how you connected the right outer ear cap with the magnets. Everything else looks great and you are almost there!!!

Thanks bro! When the magnets are in I´ll post some pictures so you can see. I´ll give a short explanation also if needed. :) I guess tomorrow, k?

Wow- i have no words for this awesome, detailed work - hope my paintjob will be half as good as this one....

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought the left ear should be a little greener or darker? I know its a different color maybe its the lighting you do amazing work again btw

Hey manuel, got any specific pics of the nut and bolt process? I'd love to see what you did for that step before I go venturing into that!

here a short "special" part of the process, as some of you asked to see some pictures ...

Inserting power magnets to outer and inner ear cap

magnets_step1.jpg

I used round power magnets with two different heights. Here you can see them paired up. One magnet is heigher. It isn´t really neccessary, using all the smaller ones would be sufficient as well. I just had some of those higher magnets left ... :D

magnets_step2.jpg

I used a drill bit with the same circumference as the magnets have and drilled them carefully where I wanted them to be. Type A drills are for the smaller magnets, type B is for the higher magnet. Be sure to position the magnets wisely to get a good end result of "closing the ear cap". I positioned one at the top and two at the bottom of the cap.

magnets_step3.jpg

Now I took one pair of magnets and positioned them into one of the type A drill holes. Always use both magnets connected when inserting them to avoid the wrong magnet poles.

magnets_step4.jpg

I took some piece of wood (you can use a small brush or something else too) and put some color on the magnets top.

magnets_step5.jpg

The wet color on the magnet.

magnets_step6.jpg

Carefully press the outer ear cap onto the colored magnet. I used this method for the other two holes too. The result is a color circle on the inside of the outer ear cap. this way you can easily see where to drill the opposite holes. Maybe there are better ways to achieve the same result but this worked fine for me. :D

magnets_step7.jpg

The opposite holes after drilling.

A tip for drilling: Better go for several steps to deepen the holes. I drill a bit, put the magnets in to see how deep they go and if needed drill again. Take your time and don´t drill too deep.

magnets_step8.jpg

The inner ear cap with magnets glued in. I use a strong glue and let it dry for several hours before testing. The powermagnets are really "powerful" and would rip the opposite magnets out of the holes if the glue hans´t cured enough! So again: Take your time before testing.

magnets_step9.jpg

The magnets inserted on the outer ear cap.

On the next three pictures you can see the final result as I simply put it on. :D

magnets_step10.jpg

magnets_step11.jpg

magnets_step12.jpg

Hope I could give you some hints/inspirations to get it done yourself!

Have fun!

Manuel

Great job Manuel love the step by step, that is exactly how I was planning to do it with the three magnets. How is everything else coming along?

Is it just me or has anybody else noticed that the outer earcap is a bit wider than the base part? You can see it on my last picture. The backside fits perfectly ...

@deadland: Thanks fro the kind words bro! This helmet is almost done. Decals, Killstripes and weathering and that´s it. Oh, and tonight the screws for the visor. :)

Thanks for the magnet tutorial man! Any plan on putting up the nuts and bolt tutorial?

Oh yea, and do you have a link to the magnets you used, and what size they were?

totally amazing, Manuel! how did i miss this thread?! man, alot of my buddies have this layered paintjob totally mastered! very impressed brother!

Thanks a lot my fellow brothers! Hope to please you again tomorrow with new pictures of progress. Have to insert screws for the visor, the decals, killstripes and the weathering.

Should be ready soon!

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back