Scratch Build Mando Costume

*** that would be more than awesome, email me at andrewharding90@gmail.com

Thanks man! ( i was going to just take a mandalorian image and size it up right and trace it)

Got some updates, pictures will be up whenever my emailing myself comes through

Last edited by a moderator:
So i have started over and i have pictures! This is me being stupid just to see if it fits and it does.
P1010037..JPG
One catch is that i have the slot for the key and it makes for a really tight fit ... debating cutting out the key and just smoothing out the back of the bucket... but still debating. This me wearing the bucket with my cardboard ring to make the helmet keep its form.
P1010038..JPG
I also added a ring right before the dome to add additional strength.

P1010039..JPGP1010040..JPG

So i finished up the fiberglass yesterday... just haven't got pictures up, i turned out great though. I got to thinking, does that fiberglass smell ever go away? Is there something i can do to help get rid of it because sticking my head in that smelling thing if going to suck...

It should go away after a few days, PLEASE try NOT to stick your head in it even if it's hard it's still curing for about 1 to 2 days and the toxins are deadly. Then you can put it on and if it still smells give it some more time to cure. Btw it's looking great!

So i was digging around and found these:
P1010036..JPG
they are the three buckets i have made so far, the bondo one is the first real try and it is messed up. the color one is the first one i made out of tag board just to see if i could and then i tried color patterns on, the other little white one is the current bucket. Here is the new one, fiberglassed and all... bondo was in the plan for the day but the weather turned ti **** here so... soon though.
P1010045..JPG P1010042..JPG P1010047..JPGP1010048..JPGP1010046..JPG

Hahaha i know nopt to stick my head in it, just didn't know if the smell would go away or if i had to coat the inside. Glad you like the WIP so far.

since this is a custom design, you could modify the keyslots as to not be a problem. Helmet looks great,so far. As to the sword, make the crosspieces in two halves with enough room at the top of the skull for the tang of the blade to go into the handle. If the tang doesn't, your sword will fall apart and have major balance problems. I know a little about swords, and could draw this for you if you're not quite sure what I am saying. Keep it up, my trashcan turned out not so well, but others have been great.

yeah actually i have decided to revamp the sword again. and go with the LE wire and attach that the edge of plexi glass then build the "blade" out of wood, this way i can keep the sword light weight and not looking like a FF sword. And i think i get what you are talking about as far as the way to construct it. but as always all ideas are welcome.

So the weather has been ****** here and with my new job daylight hours are hard to come by, so I have decided to start figuring out the armor thing... I have ideas... the original idea of a wall/ish thing on the shoulder has been canned but i think i have it solved and will get pictures posted as I find a scanner. Till then.

Now I see that the sword will be one handed, due the materials, so now the question is does my mando use two swords or a sword and a shield of some kind, or some other configuration? ideas are welcome.

i dont think you want to go with two full sized swords as that is jsut silly but perhaps a combat knife/long dagger short sword, or we could try doing a vibro sheild of some sort might be cool. i am currently considering doing a warhammer and sheild for mine also ill be back down tuesday night if youwantted to do some work

Depends on the final length of both swords. Fighting like this was uncommon in history but not unheard of using two short swords, falchions, sabers, etc. It might even look cool holding the secondary blade upside down.(i.e. if both hands extended in fists, blades go in opposite directions) Fighting like this was called "christian" style for some reason.

As a second thought, what about retractable blades on the "off-hand" gauntlet. On the sides, could be used like parrying blades with gauntlet and blades acting as shield. Extending over fist (Predator, Wolverine) could be surprise tactics.

Well once i make one sword a second wont be hard to make. and the extending blade isn't a bad idea... i have been working on the shield and will try to finish it but i like your thinking. might give myself some options. I am thinking it is call "christian" because it would form a sort of cross shape, sort of, don't know though. Thanks for the input and ideas.

Not yet, but I’ll get that info here soon. Actually we have been having killer weather here and so I have been spending the last few days on the bondo-ing of the bucket and the forming of the shield. I have pics but lost my micro usb cable but I will get them up when I can. Had a question to those who have made the costume from scratch: what piece of this costume was for you or in general the most difficult to make? And if anyone can point me in the right direction for a mirrored visor, to buy or make, please do.

Lots to post so i will break it up into different postings... So I have been workin on this thing as much as possible due to my NDK deadline and lack of knowhow when it comes to this. I have decided on a sheild and sword combo. I have also fleshed out the rest of the concept. My awsome scetches are below...

scan0001.jpgscan0002.jpg

I do have the sword figured out but no pics yet... micro USB thing is missing...

Comments? ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
So the helmet... DSC00303.JPGDSC00304.JPGDSC00301.JPG as you can see i have started the bondo and so far so good. I have gotten a lot more done but again no camera but i am finding it tedious to get the dome just right... but i will prevail. While talking about the bucket i have a question for some of you... i fiber glassed the inside and all and the smell is still strong... does that go away, or is there a sealer of some kind? Cause that can’t be good to breath in, not that i have.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back