Scratch Build Mando Costume

Patient Zero

Jr Hunter
So a buddy of mine and I are going to try to make some Mandalorian armor from scratch. We know almost nothing about this stuff: fiberglass and the like. I have been looking around and we are going to try Skip's pattern. I have already printed out the pattern, cut it out and constructed it.

019.JPG
020.JPG021.JPG022.JPG

So with that any pointers as to what the best next step would be? I have ideas and i have seen what other do... but which is better? I have also included some of the sketches that contain color scheme and theme ideas. At first I was thinking something sniper hence the scope cross-hairs over the eye, now i am thinking no. But i am liking the whole mid-evil mando thing, interseting what happens when you sketch while watching the original Highlander! Comments and such are welcome, along with advice.scan0002.jpgscan0003.jpg

pencil.png

Looks like you're off to a great start. If it was me, the next step I'd take would be to reinforce your bucket. Lay down some fiberglass on the inside of that bad boy, so that you can get to bondo-ing (is that even a word?).

That is, of course, assuming you're gonna complete your bucket first. It's totally up to you, though. Keep working on the helmet, start on your armor, whatever.

I have come across where people resin/harden the inside and or outside to reinforce the bucket. Also is it general knowledge that fiberglassing the inside is the way to go as apposed to the outside? Also what is the general opinion on matt fiberglass v. cloth fiberglass?

I was thinking i would start with the helmet cause if i couldn't figure out this fiberglass thing why build the rest of it but i am pretty sure we can figure it out so i am just finding all the templates and such and figuring out which build to go with. I am currently leaning toward the trashcan armor.

*chuckles* I'm planning on doing trashcan armor as well.

I think that the general opinion is that you should harden the inside first, so that you have a solid surface to work with when you go to Bondo and sand the outer part of your helmet. If you fiberglass the outside, you'll have to put that much more Bondo on the outside.

So the fiberglass starts... we cut up the cloth into little squares ad with a dot of hot glue covered the inside of the helmet.​
mando%201.jpg
Next we painted the hardener in the helmet and let it sit.
mando%207.jpg
Adding the bondo we made up a bunch of little batches to avoid wasting it due to it hardening.​
mando%2012.jpgmando%2011.jpgmando%2014.jpg
the next step is sanding and more bondo... got to get it perfect. As always any ideas, pointers and observations are welcome.​

OK so i have been toying with the idea of building a vibro-greatsword.... hehehe and I just has to share my rough concept. The handle would actually go inbetween the skulls but fall in line with the teeth, to you reach inbetween the two skulls to wield the sword. I know its a bit FF7-ish but i would get the blade to a relaistic scale if I go through with it.
MANDOSWORD.jpeg
As of now the idea is to mirror the blood groove and then mount EL lighting so they aren't seen but the middle of the blade is tealish colored sort of like:

200px-Blade.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
So i am really liking the sword idea and have ran into some functionality issues, most pertinent is the fact that if the skull is on both sides of the handle i need the opening on the side, between them to be large enough to get both my hands in there... have some ideas. one is to just make the tusks (i think that is what they are) bow out making a circular opening. This should look ok and not mess with the look of the skull straight on. back the the drawing board. Oh i have slimmed down the blade, this looks better, i think.

thinswordside.jpgthinsword.jpg

So I have been doing the sanding and I noticed that well... the bottom of the helmet is warped. I am thinking during the fiberglass stage it got messed up. I dont know what everyone else does to prevent this but i have to say this problem seems to be one of the short comings of Skips pattern. I have reconstructed the pep file of his into the 3D software and made a trim/boarder pattern so the base keeps its shape. So with this being said I have decided to scrap this bucket. I figure why spend all the time on something that is less than what it could be. So I will try again and keep it posted. Do have to hurry the plan is to have the whole costume ready for NDK this year. Not too big of a feat really but I am also helping my friend build the armor for Samus Aran for the same Con in Sept. so time will run short fast… as always any inight is welcome. later.

Just from the evidence put towards me, I would say, if you made your helmet out of too thin card stock, the resin wetted out the paper/card and warped under it's own weight or the weight of gravity. I wouldn't think that it would be Skip's pep file, as they are based on 3d models. The only way I would think the pep model would be to blame is because, to make the model, the 3d model has to be simplified and it creates a straight edge. I have used his models before and the only time they have warped is through my bad glueing :)

Also, if you bondoed before the resin had fully cured, that would probably warp the helmet as well.

As for bondoing, it's usually best to put it on as needed rather than cake it on, it just leads to losing the form of the model.

Would You care if I tried to build the sword you want to make? I have extra materials laying around and I think your sword would be perfect for the mandalorian I am creating. (a heavily melee based character)

Just from the evidence put towards me, I would say, if you made your helmet out of too thin card stock. I wouldn't think that it would be Skip's pep file... I have used his models before and the only time they have warped is through my bad glueing. As for bondoing, it's usually best to put it on as needed rather than cake it on, it just leads to losing the form of the model.

I used plenty heavy card stock from looking through the other forums. I am thinking it wasn’t so much the file it's self really but the complications that can arise from not having a form for the base of the helmet if the one was to use less than ridged card stock, or what i am thinking happened with mine was that the resin hardened while the helmet was sitting funky and it might have been sitting funny because the gravity mixed with the fact that the card stock was a bit too saturated. As far as the not bondoing the whole helmet at once, hell yeah. This was my first try at anything link this, so it has been a killer learning curve.

Go ahead, i am going to over haul the design to make it more practical, but by all means go for it. Would love to see the progress and end result for sure.

I hope you don't plan to change the color scheme. That black and turquise is realy sweet(y). The crosshairs around the visor are a nice touch as well

Oh i am keeping the color scheme for sure. But i am ditching the crosshairs because i am thinking this will be a melee mando and the plus i can’t think of a color to paint the crosshairs that doesn’t conflict with the rest of the helmet, unless you have any thoughts.

As the part of the helmet you have chosen to place the crosshairs is black and grey, red is the best choice.

However, take a look at how yellow or light green look.

Another question i had... I am really set on wanting to make the visor mirrored but i am unsure how to go about getting/making one. Any suggestions? I have looked around but found nothing concrete.

Go ahead, i am going to over haul the design to make it more practical, but by all means go for it. Would love to see the progress and end result for sure.

I will use the teeth as the handel, bringing them together will eliminate the need to make another grip and keep the original form of the model.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back