Scratch Build Mando Costume

The shield... I had issues thinking how to go about this but my brother’s g/f is in Amptgard and she mentioned that they use sleds for the base form. Well we are coming out of sled season and i just so happened to by the last few that K-mart had. They were the only place in town with them.

The Sled Shelid (3).JPG
Cut out the formsShelid (4).JPG
Had to fix the cresent sectionShelid (5).JPG
Started glueing the cardstock paper in place Shelid (6).JPG
FinishedShelid (11).JPGShelid (12).JPG

Now i know some people may want to know what the holes in the shield’s surface are. I plan to get 5mm plexi glass and cut and bend them to match those spaces. Then light the sides of the glass with LE Rope along with the eyes of the skull. Speaking of which the skull made me realize that the skull i used for the sword hilt is the Mandolorian mercs skull... at least i think it is specific to them... which i am not part of... opps, so i will mod the skull to fit my needs. Another idea given to me was to turn the skull and make a basket hilt out of it... still debating that one. Next step is to resin and fiber glass the shield… which I have started.

Any ideas, input suggestions and so on are welcome and encouraged. Even straight up praise is ok too.

I have started the armor... and here it is attached to the trashcans... so with the design i have, the layered armor, i ended up needing twice as many cans, no biggy.
DSC00312.JPGDSC00305.JPGDSC00309.JPGDSC00306.JPGDSC00310.JPGDSC00308.JPG I have decided not to go with the cod piece, i like the look of the sash cloth sort of thing.

Add a heat gun and some glue and it starts to take shape!DSC00313.JPG
These are the shins DSC00314.JPGDSC00315.JPG

That is all for now, more soon to come... please any feedback is great.

Thank you for posting this, as a newbie bewildered with where to start, this thread has been quite informative. Thanks, and keep up the great work!

Thanks, and more bondo there will be, at this point in the game that is all there is: add bondo, sand, add bondo, sand, and bondo, sand.... Gah! but i have bought the materials for the bracers and will start those soon, i am doing something a bit out of the ordinary fir them. I'll get pics and drawings up soon.

Looking forward to more posts, this is coming along really well....I actually have this post hooked to my email so I can keep up with it. :)

So i have added more bondo! and so far so good. The paint i added brought some of the more problem areas to light but meh. So these are the shots of the bucket:
IMG_0001.JPGIMG_0003.JPGIMG_0002.JPGIMG_0004.JPG
The cheeks are the next problem spot to work on, getting the lines straight and clean is a bit tricky but slow and steady will prevail and should it not... i will add more bondo till i get it right... hehehe.

IMG_0014.JPGIMG_0013.JPG
Also, i found when i cut out the T-visor spot the walls were uneven... this could look funny when the visor is put in place so to even them out i slopped in some bondo as shown and i started evening them out... so far i am happy with the outcome.

IMG_0008.JPGIMG_0011.JPG IMG_0010.JPG IMG_0009.JPG

I also have to clean up the band in the back a bit

IMG_0005.JPG

Thanks again for all the people watching this thread and commenting... it helps to have motivation

Good work so far ! I've been keeping an eye on this for a while now, and am impressed with what you've been able to do with the materials you used. Keep it up !

Had the better part of a day to work on the bucket today! Cleaned up most of the lines and thickness issues.
009.JPG 010.JPG008.JPG 011.JPG012.JPG
Started the ear pieces, well i put the pep files together and then filled them with fiberglass hardener and resin! nice solid pieces...
001.JPG
then cut the center lines out and the sides... Let me tell you why. So NDK, the con that i am getting this ready for has a rave, that in conjunction with the fact that i am a electronics nut i have decided to mount LEDs all over this bad boy! the ear piece will go together like this roughly.
005.JPG
and sit on the bucket like this.
007.JPG
i made the spacer out of 5mm plexiglass
002.JPG
and will frost each piece and light them from the bottom with a series of LEDS, wired to s switch to be located at another time. Think it should look pretty sweet! Your thoughts?

That ear is nice.

You are getting some good experience in doing the cardglass method, it will make you stronger brother, and look at how far you have gotten, its looking good!

Glad to see the LED idea is so liked! Working on the other ear now... pics as soon as i can. Also for those of thinking of including LEDs in their build check http://ledcalc.com/#calc for calculating electronics, it was super helpful. Thanks for all the kudos!

Do ya think I could use the color scheme and the helmet idea just without the Eye part on the mask?:confused

Have fun with this,
MandoPaint

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back