Pre Vizsla Praetor's Pre Vizsla WIP Thread

Praetor Ordo

Jr Hunter
180px-Mandalorian_Death_Watch_Vizsl.png

It has been suggested that I begin a WIP thread over here since this is one of the best places to get Mando-help this side of the Mercs. So, here goes. My project is Pre Vizsla. From the moment I saw the preview, I fell in love with this costume. And no, I don't plan on marrying it... my wife is the jealous sort.

The first thing I did was take all of the reference material (screenshots, drawings, etc) and disect them for my build. So, here is the disection.

----------

SOFT PARTS

Flight Suit
FlightSuit.jpg

The flight suit will be gray in color (but dyed to a dark gray) and have the standard Mandalorian double-sleeve. It will be made from a gray Dickies Short Sleeve Coverall ($30) and a gray Dickies Deluxe Coverall – Blended ($41). The modifications will include the removal of the collar and the inclusion of the neck seal, addition of the long sleeves to the short sleeve coverall and modification and Velcro.

The collar of the flight suit will be removed and a neck seal, made of the deluxe coverall, will be installed. It will be a simple tulip neck seal what has a light padding to hold it slightly away from the neck. This will also help for air circulation. It will be higher in the back and come under the jaw line to the front. It will close with Velcro at the normal edge of the flight suit.

The long sleeves of the deluxe coverall will be added inside the short sleeve coverall at the shoulder. The wrists will be modified to include a couple of magnetic snaps.

A strip of 1-inch black Velcro will be sewn around the waist, on the tops of the forearms, and around the ankles (for the belt, gauntlets, and spats, respectively. Additionally, at various points on the thighs and shins, there will be grommets for the armor.

A 2-inch wide length of sky blue edging will be sewn from the Velcro at the belt to the ankle.

Finally, a 4-inch wide band of material will be sewn to the front of the knee. It will include a length of 1-inch wide sky blue edging on the top and bottom edge and a length of Velcro on the back (to pull the flight suit tight at the knee. IT will include a set of grommets for the knee armor.

Spat
Spats.jpg

The spat is made from two separate fabrics. The first is a gray that is the same color as the flight suit. The second is a sky blue duck cloth that matches the strip down the leg. The gray strip is lined with Velcro to secure around the pant leg. The sky blue piece is more flat on the bottom and connects around the lowest laces with a hook to hide them. It also extends down either side of the boot with a 90-degree angle to connect to them with Velcro. It has grommets for the boot armor.

Harness
harness.png

The harness is a custom build using backpack straps, 1-inch strapping, and a padded duck cloth back. It has a set of straps at the shoulders that fit through the vest and secure the back armor and jet pack. Another strap comes off the left strap and has a Velcro dot at the end.

Flak Vest
FlakVest.jpg

The vest will be custom made to the Jango specifications of black leather with a lightly padded lining. It will secure with covered zippers, have reinforced holes for the harness, and grommets.

An opened zipper will be used to secure the left side of the vest. The zipper will be hidden behind a Velcro-secured flap when zipped up. A closed zipper will be used to secure the neck from the left shoulder to the neck. The zipper will be hidden behind a Velcro-secured flap when zipped up.

The back of the vest will have reinforced holes on the shoulder area and under the “crotch” area of the back plate for the backpack straps to go through. The reinforcements will be sewn down around the edges.

The vest will have several grommets on it to secure the armor. These will include the neck plate, left chest, right chest, diamond, sternum, and shoulders. Additionally, magnetic snaps will be used to secure the back plate at the neck and sides after it is connected to the harness.

Cape
Cape.jpg

The cape will be medium gray and in a custom cut. The length will be long enough to go from the top of the shoulder to the knee. It will be painted on both sides to include the stripe-design. A dark blue Death Watch symbol will be painted on both sides as well. Finally, a series of earth magnets will be sewn into it to secure it firmly to the shoulder armor and a length of black cord will be added with another earth magnet on it for the tassel.

Boots
Boots.jpg

The base for the boots will be a pair of black military Jungle Boots. They will be modified with Velcro and painting. The Velcro will be sewn onto the side of the boot in a 90-degree angle to secure the spats on both sides. There is also a piece of sintra armor ‘shoe-glued’ onto the heel of the boot. In addition, the leather portions of the boot will be painted a light gray color with leather paint.

Gloves
Gloves.jpg

The gloves will be a pair of black flight gloves with a Velcro patch and magnetic snaps on the back of the hand as well as a series of magnetic snaps on the wrist to secure the sleeves.

Girth Belt
GirthBelt.jpg

The girth belt is a wide strip of brown or dark tan leather that is 5-inches wide. It will have a Velcro strip sewn under it to secure to the Velcro strip on the flight suit and on top for the belt. It will secure in the back with industrial strength velcro.

Belt
GirthBelt.jpg

The belt is composed of a 2-inch thick piece of nylon strapping will hold the belt boxes. The belt will include a strip of Velcro underneath to hook to the girth belt as well as a strip of Velcro to secure it shut in the back.

Each belt box is composed of two separate pieces of 3mm sintra. The bottom piece is riveted to the belt and the top piece is glued on top of the bottom. A small bubble is cut in the top place placed over the rivets to ensure a good flat hold. All pieces are 3-inches high.

The front piece of the belt is 1.5-inches wide. The top piece has a ½-inch wide and 2.5-inch high pill-shaped hold cut in it. A ¼-inch wide piece is located on either side of the ‘buckle.’ Then a 1-inch, then a ½-inch, then a 3-inch are located on either side of those. The next 3-inch piece will have a 2-inch wide sky blue stripe opposite the buckle. The next pieces will be 2-inches wide and have a 1-inch wide 1-inch high square with rounded edges cut in it. If the above measurements are not enough to place the sky blue stripes in the correct location, then modify them to do so. The back of the belt will include similar pieces to cover the entire length. The back piece will be a 3-inch piece with a 2-inch wide, 2-inch high hole in the center as with the sidepieces.

HARD PARTS

Helmet
Helmet.jpg

The helmet will be an M-DSB Mercenary XL. It will include only a set of normal ear caps, fans, and padding. The visor will be black with the visor cut in a rounded slant.

A set of Helmet Fans will be included in the helmet for air circulation.

The helmet will include a soft liner inside of it to pad it as well as insulate the batteries away from the skin.

The dome and face is painted gunmetal gray. The eye, ring, and ears are in a light gray. The cheeks and back are painted sky blue over a layer of gunmetal gray. Finally, a white stylized three-claw emblem rises from the ring of the faceplate. The keyhole in the back is white with the indent black.

Shoulder Plates
Shoulders.jpg

The shoulders are based on the WOF template, but it is in a stylized shape. It is made of 3mm sintra with an under edge of 3mm to give it a thicker look and it will be curved slightly. They are sky blue in color over a layer of gunmetal, weathered through slightly, and connect with chicago-screws to the vest. The left has a red and white rank detail.

Neck Plate
Neck.jpg

The neck plate is based on the WOF template, but it is in a stylized shape (flat across the bottom). It is made of 3mm sintra with an under edge of 3mm to give it a thicker look and curved slightly toward the shoulders. It is sky blue in color over a layer of gunmetal, weathered through slightly, and connects with chicago screws. It will also have a set of earth magnets glued under the right shoulder to secure the cape with. Finally, there is a black stripe centered on the front of the neck armor.

Left Chest Plate
LeftChest.jpg

The left chest plate is based on the WOF template, but it is in a stylized shape (flat across the top and a thicker ‘ear’). It is made of 3mm sintra with an under edge of 3mm to give it a thicker look and curved slightly around the torso. It is gunmetal gray in color and connects with chicago-screws to the vest. The chest slots are cut out and have a backing of sintra which is painted with red and blue (top and bottom) and given a reflective/gloss finish.

Right Chest Plate
RightChest.jpg

The left chest plate is based on the WOF template, but it is in a stylized shape (flat across the top and a thicker ‘ear’). It is made of 3mm sintra with an under edge of 3mm to give it a thicker look and curved slightly around the torso. It is gunmetal gray in color and connects with chicago-screws to the vest.

Diamond
Diamond.jpg

The diamond is made from the WOF template using two pieces of 3mm sintra. The top plate has another piece of sintra with a rectangular shape attached on top of it. The diamond piece is sky blue over a layer of gunmetal, weathered through slightly, in color and the rectangle piece is gunmetal in color. They are glued together and connect with Velcro to the chicago screws.

Sternum Plate
Sternum.jpg

The sternum plate is modified from the the WOF template. It is made of 3mm sintra with an under edge of 3mm to give it a thicker look and curved slightly around the torso. It is gunmetal gray in color and connects with chicago-screws to the vest.

Back Plate
Back-1.jpg

The back plate is custom designed. It is made of 3mm sintra with an under edge of 3mm to give it a thicker look and curved slightly around the torso at the edges. The entire plate is painted gunmetal gray with the upper surface given a lightly weathered layer of sky blue. It secures via the harness but also with magnetic snaps to the shoulders and lower back of the vest. The back plate has the jetpack permanently attached to it. The jetpack screws also hold the straps that connect to the harness to support the back plate/jet pack.

Cod Armor
Cod.jpg

The cod armor is based on the WOF template, but it is in a stylized shape (more of a triangle than the normal cod shape). It is made of 3mm sintra with a 3D design. It is gunmetal gray in color and has a strap that fits around the waist. The strap has Velcro on either side of it that connects to the belt Velcro underneath and the girth belt on top. The belt has a piece of Velcro on the back to secure closed. Finally, the entire internal is padded for both support and protection during troops. The back of the padding has a strip of velcto which attaches to the flight suit.

Thigh Armor
Thigh.jpg

The thigh armor is a completely custom design and is stylized in shape. It is made of 3mm sintra with an under edge of 3mm to give it a thicker look and curved slightly around the leg. They will chicago screw to the outer thigh, are gunmetal gray in color, and have a sky blue stripe in line with the stripe on the flight suit. A set of custom pistol holsters will be made and attached to the thigh just behind the sky blue stripe and painted gunmetal gray. It will be padded to keep from rubbing raw under it.

Knee Plate
Knee.jpg

The knee plate is a completely custom design (based on the generic Mando knee) and is stylized in shape. It is made of 3mm sintra with an under edge of 3mm under the lower portion of the knee plate to give it a thicker look and curved around the knee. They will chicago-screwto the knee ‘spat.’ The face is more square than normal and the sides have a stylized holder. The base color is gunmetal gray and the sides are sky blue and slightly weathered. It will have padding under the face to offer comfort to the knee.

Shin Armor
Shin.jpg

The shin armor is based on the WOF template, but it is in a stylized symmetrical shape that is identical on both legs. It is made of 3mm sintra with an under edge of 3mm to give it a thicker look and curved on either side of the face around the leg. They are gunmetal gray in color with sky blue stripes on either side and connect with chicago screws to the flight suit. The sky blue stripes will begin at the flight suit stripe and go down either side of the face. They are padded for comfort.

Boot Armor
Boot.jpg

The boot armor is custom designed in a stylized shape. It is made of 3mm sintra with an under edge of 3mm to give it a thicker look and curved slightly around the boot. They connect with chicago screws to the spat. They are gunmetal gray in color and have a white edging around them.

Hand Plates
Hand.jpg

The hand plates are a completely custom design in a ‘tombstone’ shape. It is made of 3mm sintra and curved slightly around the back of the hand. They are gunmetal gray in color and connect with Velcro and magnetic snaps to the glove.

Gauntlets
Gauntlet.jpg

The gauntlets are a completely custom design. They are a set of cylinder gauntlets made from 3mm sintra.

There is a notch on the top which is approximately 3-inches wide and 1-inch long. In front of it is a long box that is ½-inch high, 3-inches wide, and runs ½-inch from the edge of the elbow and wrist of the gauntlet. Another ½-inch box fits on the top that is approximately 3/8ths of the length of the original box. The edges all fade with a 60-degree edge except for the top that is a 45-degre angle.

A small rectangle is set on the outside of the gauntlet.

The gauntlet is one solid piece of sintra that is wrapped around into a cylinder. The edges of the gauntlet have a stylized cut. It also has a set of two holes that are used to hold the gauntlet shut. The slight give to the material will allow it to be put on in much the same way as Stormtrooper/Clone gauntlets.

They are gunmetal gray in color and connect with Velcro to the forearm of the flight suit for stability.

Jetpack
Jetpack.jpg

The Jetpack is a Jango Arena jetpack with the Kamino jetpack missile attached to the top. It is dark gray in color with red details around the left and right rocket point.

Pistols
Pistols.jpg

The pistols will be custom made based on the pictures of the blasters used in the television show. The pistols will be black in color with gunmetal gray details and silver weathering.

Well, I have the torso armor completed. The image on the left is the WOF Jango templates sized to me. On the right are the Death Watch armor templates I made which are nearly identical to those seen in pictures above. Now, for the lower body...

For reference, the dark squares are 1-inch with half-inch squares inside.

armorcomparison.jpg

Part two of the armor design involves the cod piece. Having seen the actual show last night, I can see that I did an amazingly good job on the armor. From the way things looked, it was spot-on. The cod is a bit of a challenge, though.

The first problem I had with the cod was the fact that it was a "fluid" piece on the show. Unlike real life, the cod actually flexed and moved with the lower torso and legs. One of the problems with the animated show. However, using the WOF template, I think I was able to capture the overall feel of the cod. (go ahead, make your comments...)

The actual cod will be composed of four separate pieces. It is three-dimensional and will include the face, two sides, and a bottom. Unlike the normal Boba/Jango cod, this one will be easier to make because all of the parts are flat. But, here is what I have come up with...

codcompare.jpg

Feeling rather ambitious, I have also decided to tackle the boots tonight. They are a little easier than the normal boots, but have a bit of a twist. They have two separate pieces. The first piece fits on top of the boot and the second fits on the back of the heel. However, the boot top has to bend around the foot and a little up on the ankle. Otherwise, it should be good.

bootcompare.jpg

One final design before I hit the hay. You may say that it looks too wide, but remember that it will be molded around the shoulder. You'll see when I print these out and take some pics taped to me.

shouldercompare.jpg

Next up on the block are the shins. Unlike the Jango shins, these ones are symmetrical (both in design and on the legs). The front piece is flat and the sides curve around. I probably will do some trim when I get these printed out because the bottom edge is supposed to be even with the ground.

shincompare.jpg

The belt is next. Basically, it is just a series of boxes wrapped around the girth belt. So, I decided to get them jotted down and out of the way.

dwbelt.jpg

And now for the back. This is a tricky piece. It is flat on the top and has a lot of flat edges. The problem is that it is rarely ever seen because it is covered by the jetpack. What I have not added are the bolt holes which will hook the jetpack on and the suspension system at the same time.

copyofback.jpg

Thanks. The hard part is coming up, though. First, I do not know where/who to contact about making the pistol. 2) I have no idea where I can get a hold of the Arena Jetpack. C) I'm pretty sure the jetpack scales differently in the animation (as in it is smaller).

But, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. Actually, I may take the forest, the bridge is usually well defended.

Okay, I just got a high definition look at the episode. I'm going to go through it and take some screen shots and crop them for a new build guide. With these, I should be able to get the soft parts and the greeblies perfect.

More to come!

Well, screenshots taken!

Now to go through the 4720 screenshots I took...

Oh, when you take a screenshot from every single frame with a Mando in it...

And I'm off to sort them out by each individual part.

Yup. His jumpsuit is gray where the rest have the blue. It looks to be about a 50% gray rather than a darker color than that. If his armor is gunmetal, then that would be about right.

Thanks. The hard part is coming up, though. First, I do not know where/who to contact about making the pistol. 2) I have no idea where I can get a hold of the Arena Jetpack. C) I'm pretty sure the jetpack scales differently in the animation (as in it is smaller).

But, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. Actually, I may take the forest, the bridge is usually well defended.

MOW stubby,with a boba rocket missle. Just PM him. Could be the jetpack until you build a smaller scale set.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, after a couple of days, two eye strain headaches, and a permanent callus on my pause button, I have been able to flesh out the pistols.

They are large, but these are to scale of the ones used in the show. Now, anyone know where I can find someone to make these?

pistolpost.jpg

Well, the Darksaber is all done. This is just the shell for now. I'm still not sure how to do the blade, yet. Again, any takers on this one? I'd prefer to get this in something other than wood, but even that would be cool.

darksaberj.jpg

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back