Test Custom bucket #1

toochaos

New Hunter
as the title might sugest i am rather new to this, we have just started with pep and fiber glassing so far we have the outer resin down, as well as the fiberglassing. i shall have some pictures up when i find the camera cable. so far it seems to be going rather well and i am learning plentty, and shall create a list of things learned for anyone else who would like to see them. for now i must go i shall odd more to this soon.

Things learned so far

#1 bondo red cream hardener does not harden resin quickly as it is meant for "bondo" use hardener that came with resin.

#2 Colorado is cold in the winter get box to keep armor pieces inside with no smell.

#3 make a complete helmet (any holes such as the key should be filled with a spacer)

#4 cheap foam brushes fall apart as you resin leaving foam in your resin or on you piece.

#5 Nitrile gloves are good, have not tried the latex, doubt they would work.

#6 working with a partner is good.

still have yet to find the cable to camera for pictures

P1280019.JPG
P1280020.JPG

this is after fiberglassing

I see you've gone for fiberglass cloth over fiberglass mat, which is fine, just I found it to be a little on the thin side to be sturdy in case of droppage.

I notice you've used resin on the oustide, which is also fine, but I recommend that you give it a sanding down as I notice you have runs from where the resin has dried whilst being affected by gravity, this will show up in your paint job :)

As bondo and resin have the same chemical base, the bondo harnder will work, it's probably that you didn't use enough of it or that it's got less of the active ingredient in it than the resin hardner that is supposed to come with the resin.

i do plan on sanding next, (will have to get the proper tool). and with the fiber glass cloth over mat i found most places have used cloth from what i can tell, though i shall try mat, thanks for the advise, as this is a learning process for me.

I love scratbuilds. Take your time, if this doesn't work the first time, try again. You will learn alot in making mistakes, I know I have.

Vinyl or latex gloves come in handy.

i do plan on sanding next, (will have to get the proper tool). and with the fiber glass cloth over mat i found most places have used cloth from what i can tell, though i shall try mat, thanks for the advise, as this is a learning process for me.

Simple answer, if you can't find fiberglass mat then try a couple of layers of cloth.

Cloth is used for really light components like model aircraft but doesn't stand up to day to day knocks than can befall a helmet, you can get thicker grades of cloth though, but like I said, give it another going over with some cloth and that should help loads :)

A mouse sander is the weapon of choice, but wear a dust mask and goggles.

i can get the mat no problem and shall try that, as it does seem sturdy but still a little too much flex. i shall go over this heelmet with the mat and see what happens, thanks for the adivse. i do love the freedom with the scratch build as i can do just about anything i can think of :)

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back