The Clone Wars Episode 12 The Mandalore Plot

I for one have not seen so great a storyline so completely (and needlessly) trashed since Highlander 2! Peace-loving Mandos! Completely disenfranchising Jango from the last 10 years of EU! Has the Star Wars universe gotten so big that GL can't remember when his own canon is getting seriously screwed with? Karn Traviss developed such a cool Mando culture, I can't understand why they made a complete 180 from it. The only thing that could have made that episode worse would have been to have made the entire population of Madalore Jar-Jar clones!

Prime Minister Almec's comments about Jango not being a true Mando didn't bother me much. Since Mando's (in this series) are peace-loving and Jango decided to become a bounty hunter, it makes sense for them to shun him like that.

Shall we set up a Petition for those who stand against this epic rape of fandom canon and wont accept the Clone Wars Storyline to protect our Religion? XD

Shall we set up a Petition for those who stand against this epic rape of fandom canon and wont accept the Clone Wars Storyline to protect our Religion? XD

Sign me up! At the rate this going, the season finale will have Obi-Wan revealed as Darth Sidious!:wacko

Something you guys have to realize is that GL has said time and time again...he doesn't care what the vocal fans want. It's his sandbox and he's going to rule it the way he wants unfortunately. Honestly, what GL set out against in his early years (The big business film industry) he's actually become.

I don't care too much about Mandalorian Canon, so the fact that a few things didn't quite line up with other EU didn't bother me too much. However, the apparent reference to Jango just being a bounty hunter that acquired his armor from unknown means did bother me, but I'm hoping it was just a comment meant to disparage him because he became a well known bounty hunter rather than a factual statement about his background.

that's exactly how i read ir foxbatkiller. i figured it was the statement of a politician trying to insulate himself and seperate his people from jango and what he stood for. among the true mandalorians, jango was as revered a legend as jaster mereel although some questioned his life post mandalore. these new mandalorians have everything to gain from seperating themselves from jango fett and trivializes who and what he was.

I loved this part, it felt very Vader-esque
prevesz.gif

oh jeah,

this scene bothered me too.

Its a bit to cliche that the evil guy shot one of his failing minions... But if he would straight this way up he have to shoot the half of his clan....

it was realy unnesecary du shot this guy just for a dramatic entry

Something you guys have to realize is that GL has said time and time again...he doesn't care what the vocal fans want. It's his sandbox and he's going to rule it the way he wants unfortunately. Honestly, what GL set out against in his early years (The big business film industry) he's actually become.

I get that it's GL's sandbox, and nothing any of us say is going to change a darn thing, my major problem is that we're just suppossed to swallow this whole change of canon without question. I mean, this is a pretty radical departure from everything they've been feeding us for 20 years. It's not like they're deviating from canon established in some obscure '70s SW comic book. They're basically throwing everything that made the Mandos cool right out the window. How does Finn Sysha fit into this, or how does this impact Boba Fett? Is he just going back to being a one-dimensional villian again? I kinda liked the way he was coming out of his shell, so to speak. Or what about the whole Yuzon Vong war, or the Darth Caedus storyline? How do they intend to square all that?

Partial cross-post from Mando Mercs:

Specific and general responses and impressions...

Regarding the chest diamond motif in architecture... Ugh. Mandalorians are a practical people (or at least, they were). Their armour was a practical armour, no unnecessary flourishes in the basic design. The chest diamond, in Joe Johnston's original drawings served a purpose. It's not decoration.

Johnston+0218+Sketch.jpg

Some argue that we never saw it used in the movie, therefore it doesn't necessarily exist. I counter that we never saw Boba or Jango use most of their kit in the movies. Does that negate the knee darts. minimissiles, compact blasters, etc., that went unused? As far as I'm concerned, my Mando costumes' chest diamonds are going to be compact tractor beams. So seeing it as an achitectural motif made my teeth itch.

Regarding uniformity in the Death Watch. There are exceptions to every rule, but remember our only exposure for a lot of years was to Mandalorians all wearing the uniform of the Protectors -- i.e. essentially the ESB Boba costume. I dug out my Marvel ESB adaptation to check something else and noticed that Boba has the same all-green-with-a-white-cheeked-helmet scheme as Fenn and Tobbi did a few issues later. Thus they way they appear in the famous Fenn flashback splash page was not a different colour scheme. It was supposed to be the ESB Boba. Yay for ****** '70s/'80s comic-colouring technology.

But if the Protectors had a uniform, it makes sense to me that the Death Watch might, too. Orginazation and unity over person. Same with many members of Jaster's True Mandalorians stripping their armour to bare metal to show solidarity with Jaster having done so when he left the Protectors.

Regarding continuity and whether this was Mandalore-the-planet... If I understood correctly, this was the first of a three-episode arc? If so, I'm going to continue to reserve judgement until the arc is finished. The Atlas is suggestive, but could have been invalidated, despite being recent. This could even be a regional thing. This might be a part of Mandalore -- like, say, Paris. And the parts we're used to seeing are, say, the steppes of Russia, and Kal and his boys have no use for even that level of proximity, so they're chillin' in Mongolia.

I know George is fond of depicting planets as all one geostructure, but the EU has polar ice caps on Tatooine, so I see no reason so far that the EU can't be retroactively applied to this if it is Mandalore. The forests and City of Bone of the comics might be on the other side of the planet, for all that's been laid out so far.

--Jonah

I get that it's GL's sandbox, and nothing any of us say is going to change a darn thing, my major problem is that we're just suppossed to swallow this whole change of canon without question. I mean, this is a pretty radical departure from everything they've been feeding us for 20 years. It's not like they're deviating from canon established in some obscure '70s SW comic book. They're basically throwing everything that made the Mandos cool right out the window. How does Finn Sysha fit into this, or how does this impact Boba Fett? Is he just going back to being a one-dimensional villian again? I kinda liked the way he was coming out of his shell, so to speak. Or what about the whole Yuzon Vong war, or the Darth Caedus storyline? How do they intend to square all that?

Well, this doesn't seem to impact the time before this episode at all. The Sith War, the Neo-Crusaders, the Codex, Ordo and Jaster, the Civil War... All of that, IIRC, took place off Mandalore itself, so we're good there. After this arc is finished, we'll know better the immediate consequences, but the post-Imperial era also remains untouched. The Vong messed up Mandalore pretty badly. Odds are they would have started with major population centres, like the Duchess' city, if in fact that even actually is Mandalore. Boba's not going to be around at all, so this doesn't affect him. Just hold off until the storyline is finished before sounding the death knell for the established EU -- which I will join others in pointing out has been changed quite a few times over the years regarding the Mandos already.

--Jonah

I'm interested with the capabilities of the black saber.

I remember reading in one of the SW novel saying that the crystal used in the lightsaber was a very special crystal.
And the red crystals (used by the Sith) are considered banned because when it is used as a light saber, it can cause damage to other crystals inside other light saber when come into contact.

So, what so special with the black crystal then ?

Aha... so Jango was just a "ruthless" bounty hunter... shooting your own minion is less cruel then... then what? Hitting your head when you board your ship?

Perhaps we'll see Boba frying all of this thingy...

That, or a man with a huge dead fish will walk in the scene, slapping someone, leaving, that's it.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back